Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

thinking about getting an iPod

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thinking about getting an iPod

I would like to get a few opinions and advice. So I have a few questions.

1. Where is the best place to buy an iPod? I could go to the BestBuy that is located just across the street from my house. Not sure if their prices differ from others. Suggestion?

2. Which accessories do you guys recommend? Like which are must have.
3. Where do you guys download your music from? Recommendations?

I'll probably get the 6gb mini-Ipod. That's good enough for me.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:14 PM
tastey wheat

ebay? if youre gonna get an ipod its prolly the best place... you don't have to buy them used, companies sell them new on there, but you might save 50 or so bucks, if youre gonna spend the money on one might as well save as much as you can.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:31 PM

1. I got a 20gb for 290 w/ student discount( 10$ ) at apple store, If I could buy it again I'd go with best buy and get their 40$ warrenty for three years. Apple charges 40 for 1.5 yr. Hold just the rite amount at ~8,000 songs

2. Contour ipod hardcase with foam lining for shock protection if you get a harddrive driven ipod

3. Ares / Kazza Lite(not kazza) / Blubster

mine froze two weeks after I baught it and turned out it was faulty.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:35 PM
SHIFT_this

Originally Posted by Cumalot
I would like to get a few opinions and advice. So I have a few questions.

1. Where is the best place to buy an iPod? I could go to the BestBuy that is located just across the street from my house. Not sure if their prices differ from others. Suggestion?

2. Which accessories do you guys recommend? Like which are must have.
3. Where do you guys download your music from? Recommendations?

I'll probably get the 6gb mini-Ipod. That's good enough for me.

Thanks.
1. If you can find a friend in the military have them get you one from the base BX/PX (depending on branch of military). Cheapest I've found. I paid like $180 for a 4GB. If not anywhere else will do I guess, they all run around the same cost.

2.The only accessory I'm getting for my mini is a Kenwood Ipod interface adapter so that I can have my favorite ablums in my car easily controlled through my H/U. The mini is tough and less scratch resistent than the iPod so I saw no need for case or anything, plus it comes with a belt clip. A dock for it may come in handy for when you up load music to it.

3.As for music I just went threw all my CD's and downloaded them to itunes and uploaded them to my iPods. I don't download from anyof those peer sharing sites anymore, had to many virus issues. So whenever I buy a new cd I download to itunes/ upload to iPod.

Then enjoy
Old 05-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you can get a student discount from apple and it comes out to 270$, i know ur not in school but its worht a shot, id say u shuld get the belt clip, for stuff like mowing the lawn and working out, and for a download program use "Limewire" wich is like napster or kazaa, and once u dl songs u go to ur limewire library highlight the songs and drag them into ur itunes library, plug ur pod in and it automatically transfers it and categorizes bye artist
Old 05-23-2005, 07:18 PM

Best Buy is one of the more expensive places to buy one. I think eBay would probably be the cheapest. I recieved mine as a b-day gift, but my dad did say that they were cheaper at Circuit City.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:01 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

I got my 20 gig at the Apple Store. Here are two good sites for accessories and pretty much anything you want to know about iPod's.

http://www.ipodlounge.com/
http://digitalelectronics4less.com/mp3_apple
Old 05-26-2005, 09:51 AM

I got the Creative Zen Xtra 30gb from buy.com back around Christmas time for a little over $220, which included an additional year warranty. It holds a boatload of music, plays .wav, .mp3 and .wma files, plus you can put data files on it. Notmad Explorer is probably the best player software on the market, and worth the $30 you'll pay for it.