Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Great deal at crutchfield ... don't miss out if you need amps

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 09:00 AM
MaximaFreak

Great deal at crutchfield ... don't miss out if you need amps

Crutchfield currently has MB Quart amplifiers on sale! All are new, just last years' models so they're closing them out BIG TIME. Much like the Alpine 7998 (I purchased mine about 2 months before Crutchfield put them on sale for like $550 ... Crutchfield's price was somewhere around $250 if I remember correctly).

Anyway ... I bought 2 4 channel (4x100) amps @ $250 each! (Retail is $600 each)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-XMd2m4j...p?I=049RAA4200

These have a nice look, high adjustability (LP/HP for both pair of inputs/outputs) and plenty of power. I haven't read anything bad on them and they come with a full warranty. I will be using 1 amp for mids/highs and the other for 8" midbass and subs. My biggest quandry at the moment is crossovers (running a 4 way system with odd x-over points), but for a standard system (3 way) these amps should be a slam dunk.

MB Quart offers:

MB Quart Reference RAA4200
4-channel car amplifier
100 watts RMS x 4

MB Quart Reference RAA2400
Stereo car amplifier
200 watts RMS x 2

MB Quart Reference RAA1000
Mono subwoofer amplifier
250 watts RMS x 1

All are being sold at SUBSTANTIAL discounts (50% +). When I callede last week, he said they had less than 100 of the 4 channels left so I went ahead and bought 2. I'd imagine their stock won't last much longer at these prices.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:07 AM

Not a bad deal at all. Keep in mind 1-year factory warranty if installed yourself....2-year warranty if installed by an MB Quart dealer.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:35 PM

yep, i was tempted to get the raa1000 when i looked through the newest issue.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There are turn on /off pops associated with these amplifiers, based on forum user experiences....

The reason they are liquidating is because these are Rockford owned era MBQuart, as of next year the MBQuart name will no longer exist in the states, they will be under Third Acoustics based out of Arizona I believe, and not associated with RF.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:25 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
There are turn on /off pops associated with these amplifiers, based on forum user experiences....

The reason they are liquidating is because these are Rockford owned era MBQuart, as of next year the MBQuart name will no longer exist in the states, they will be under Third Acoustics based out of Arizona I believe, and not associated with RF.
Jesus, Manny - how do you know all this stuff?
Old 05-31-2005, 05:24 PM
MaximaFreak

Turn on/off pops can be heard with many amplifiers ... all you need is a delay circuit. In fact, I have one because my PG 215ix caused a turn off pop that thundered through my subwoofer.

DEI makes one ... at least that's the one I have.

Anyway ...

Now that I see these things in person, they are simply MASSIVE. Before this I had the pretty massive DEI Viper 1100d5, and have owned many Soundstream Class A and Reference series amps ... and this is bigger than all of them. Heavy, solid and clean ... I like them so far.

Prolly won't get to install them for sometime, so they'll be sitting around in the boxes and won't get an audition until then ... so I don't really have any meaningful info yet, but I am definitely excited to have them ...

100 x 8 will do
Old 05-31-2005, 05:27 PM
MaximaFreak

Oh, and they weigh in at about 20 lbs each ... so they're a giant no-no if you're a racer.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:28 PM

Sounds like someone has been on some other industry forums. Lots of rumors floating around about that.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:49 PM

I've heard that recently myself. I figured something was up with MB Quart when Crutchfield started selling there stuff. Not saying Crutchfield is bad or anything, they just usually don't sell the higher-end speaker, subs, and amps.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:27 AM
MaximaFreak

Crutchfield blew out Infinity Beta equipment when they discontinued the line. That after they tried to make it such a "unique" brand by only offering it through 50 dealers nationwide.

If I had money then, I would have bought one of everything.

Infinity Beta ...
Old 06-01-2005, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by 03SE2HEAR
Sounds like someone has been on some other industry forums. Lots of rumors floating around about that.
I know there are rumors going on on the forums- i got my info from this article...

"MB Quart Plans Re-Entry Into U.S. Car Audio Market

By Amy Gilroy -- TWICE, 1/24/2005

OBRIGHEIM, GERMANY — Refusing to simply fade away, MB Quart GmbH, currently in receivership, said it plans to launch a new brand, Third Acoustics, in the United States and worldwide with a target date of June.
According to Tobias Wahl, the insolvency administrator for MB Quart GmbH, the company has continued to operate since it filed for insolvency last September. Although it is currently in a dispute over the rights to the MB Quart name in North America, the company plans in the meantime to offer most the same products as it did under the MB Quart brand. It said it will produce the products in the same manner and with the same model number designations under the Third Acoustics brand. Amplifiers will no longer be offered.
Rockford Corporation, which purchased MB Quart in 2001, said it had no comment at this time.
Third Acoustics was at International CES this month to sign up a core network of U.S. manufacturer's representatives, it said.
MB Quart GmbH said it will decide by February if it will operate its own Third Acoustics subsidiary in the United States, or if it will go through a distributor. MB Quart GmbH's turnaround consultant, Thomas Sauer, said the company is leaning towards establishing a Third Acoustics subsidiary.
Wahl said: “We will stay with the product that is engineered and produced in Germany. We are currently in the process of reworking all the products to create a significant increase in price/performance ratio. We are looking forward to reviews in magazines comparing Third Acoustics to the old MB Quart product.â€
He added, “And since we have ... a wonderful name and a highly motivated staff, we think we have a profitable company, and we don't think we'll have problems with liquidity. We have been welcomed with open arms at the CES which makes us hopeful for the future,†said Wahl.
In September, Rockford Corp., maker of the popular Rockford Fosgate brand of car audio speakers, amplifiers and head units, announced plans to restructure its operations and place MB Quart in Germany in receivership. Rockford said this action would stem losses of approximately $750,000 per quarter. Rockford also announced plans to return to its core car audio business and divest itself of non-core related businesses. The company owns several home audio and professional audio companies, including Hafler, Fosgate Audionics and NHT. "
Old 06-01-2005, 06:11 AM
MaximaFreak

So, maybe they will continue making amps ... just as Third Acoustics.

Either way ... it's a good reason for Crutchfield to be blowing them out at such insane prices.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Big_Ham
Turn on/off pops can be heard with many amplifiers ... all you need is a delay circuit. In fact, I have one because my PG 215ix caused a turn off pop that thundered through my subwoofer.

DEI makes one ... at least that's the one I have.

Anyway ...

Now that I see these things in person, they are simply MASSIVE. Before this I had the pretty massive DEI Viper 1100d5, and have owned many Soundstream Class A and Reference series amps ... and this is bigger than all of them. Heavy, solid and clean ... I like them so far.

Prolly won't get to install them for sometime, so they'll be sitting around in the boxes and won't get an audition until then ... so I don't really have any meaningful info yet, but I am definitely excited to have them ...

100 x 8 will do
Just figured I'd share what I know- Some people, regardless of cost , dont want to invest into a new amplifier that pops on /off. Explaining to friends what that 'thud' is everytime you turn on/off the car is no big deal as opposed to someone who may get points deducted from their score at SQ comps. For 95% of people its not a big deal.
My buddy recently got an RAA2400- so far, its been great. Has it bridged to an Achemy RX12" vented and it slams. I fig its in the neighborhood of power that a kIcker kx600.1 puts out. The amp visibly is quite nice and appears solidly built. My only gripe other than the pops, is the Hex screws for the plate covering the controls. Other than that its a great watt per dollar value at the moment.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Big_Ham
So, maybe they will continue making amps ... just as Third Acoustics.
"It said it will produce the products in the same manner and with the same model number designations under the Third Acoustics brand. Amplifiers will no longer be offered."

It would good to ask Crutchfield as far as when their store warranty runs out, where the amp could be sent for repair if ever needed.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:33 AM
MaximaFreak

Just figured I'd share what I know- Some people, regardless of cost , dont want to invest into a new amplifier that pops on /off. Explaining to friends what that 'thud' is everytime you turn on/off the car is no big deal as opposed to someone who may get points deducted from their score at SQ comps. For 95% of people its not a big deal.
My buddy recently got an RAA2400- so far, its been great. Has it bridged to an Achemy RX12" vented and it slams. I fig its in the neighborhood of power that a kIcker kx600.1 puts out. The amp visibly is quite nice and appears solidly built. My only gripe other than the pops, is the Hex screws for the plate covering the controls. Other than that its a great watt per dollar value at the moment.
Man, I do agree about the hex screws ... a pain in the ***, but better than DEI's magnet fastening system - even tho the magnets are obviously faster.

Again ... as for turn off noise ... all you have to do is delay the amp's shut off until after the headunit powers down ... problem solved.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:58 PM

I know there are rumors going on on the forums- i got my info from this article...

"MB Quart Plans Re-Entry Into U.S. Car Audio Market

By Amy Gilroy -- TWICE, 1/24/2005

OBRIGHEIM, GERMANY — Refusing to simply fade away, MB Quart GmbH, currently in receivership, said it plans to launch a new brand, Third Acoustics, in the United States and worldwide with a target date of June.
According to Tobias Wahl, the insolvency administrator for MB Quart GmbH, the company has continued to operate since it filed for insolvency last September. Although it is currently in a dispute over the rights to the MB Quart name in North America, the company plans in the meantime to offer most the same products as it did under the MB Quart brand. It said it will produce the products in the same manner and with the same model number designations under the Third Acoustics brand. Amplifiers will no longer be offered.
Rockford Corporation, which purchased MB Quart in 2001, said it had no comment at this time.
Third Acoustics was at International CES this month to sign up a core network of U.S. manufacturer's representatives, it said.
MB Quart GmbH said it will decide by February if it will operate its own Third Acoustics subsidiary in the United States, or if it will go through a distributor. MB Quart GmbH's turnaround consultant, Thomas Sauer, said the company is leaning towards establishing a Third Acoustics subsidiary.
Wahl said: “We will stay with the product that is engineered and produced in Germany. We are currently in the process of reworking all the products to create a significant increase in price/performance ratio. We are looking forward to reviews in magazines comparing Third Acoustics to the old MB Quart product.â€
He added, “And since we have ... a wonderful name and a highly motivated staff, we think we have a profitable company, and we don't think we'll have problems with liquidity. We have been welcomed with open arms at the CES which makes us hopeful for the future,†said Wahl.
In September, Rockford Corp., maker of the popular Rockford Fosgate brand of car audio speakers, amplifiers and head units, announced plans to restructure its operations and place MB Quart in Germany in receivership. Rockford said this action would stem losses of approximately $750,000 per quarter. Rockford also announced plans to return to its core car audio business and divest itself of non-core related businesses. The company owns several home audio and professional audio companies, including Hafler, Fosgate Audionics and NHT. "

I guess we'll just have to see what MB Quart GmbH or Third Acoustics has planned. What they are trying to do with Third Acoustics isn't really news at all since this has been going on since CES. However we'll see how far they get with it....kinda curious. From talking with the Customer Service Dept at MB Quart, I feel pretty confident that they will definetely back what is sold....especially through Crutchfield. It's solid product, though a little on the bulky side.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:32 PM

DEI hex screws own me...who the hell would ever think thats a good way to do things?
Old 06-02-2005, 09:55 PM

hey sorry too drift from the subject, well it was mentioned.......but that on off pop? is it normal? and can it cause any damage? i think my kicker amp does it..... its more of like a zoiink kinda noise lol..more than a bass hit.... cause its on the highs..... and how can i fix it? where can i get the mentioned delay?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:50 PM
drag racing is for wussies

My Infiinity Beta I got from Crutchfield a long time ago also has the THUMP through the subwoofer when I switch from XM to CD or to MP3 changer or even when I turn the volume to 0 and then up. Great info on how to get rid of the thump ! Its been annoying me for a looong time.

I got a 30lbs Alpine MRV1507 that I wanna use in my car next with 2 12" Eclipse titaniums... but after I calculated how much the system would weight in my car I might not even use the amp or one of the subs. I would like to keep the weight to minimum.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:16 AM

here's a review...
http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showt...hreadid=113824

here's the 4ch tested...
http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showt...hreadid=114382