Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Subs installed but strange problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Subs installed but strange problem...

Everything powers up and runs fine, but the subwoofer volume control on the deck doesn't work. I tried swapping around the RCA jacks, but they are all in the right place. The subs won't even decrease in volume with the deck, only way to turn it down is with the gain control. Any ideas?

Terry
Old 06-01-2005, 07:24 AM
MaximaFreak

So your subs don't attenuate at all when you turn up/down the headunit volume or the (i assume) included subwoofer volume control? How is your system run? Do you have a diagram? External crossover? Crossover in the headunit? In the amps? What headunit, amplifier, crossover make/model?
Old 06-01-2005, 04:53 PM

I have a Clarion DXZ635MP(something along the lines of that). I used the Amp Turn On wire to power a relay, and used the relay to power all the amps remote signals. 4awg power wire from battery to distribution block, and 8awg wires from there to the amps. Grounded similarly with a distribution block, 8awg from amps to block to 4awg ground. The deck has 3 RCA outputs, Front, Rear, and Subwoofer channels. I'm currently using the built in crossovers on the amps, however, I do have an electronic crossover on order that should arrive tomorrow. My understanding was that, the subwoofer volume should attenuate with the subwoofer volume control on the deck, but even worse, it doesn't even attenuate with the deck volume. Right now I've been using the gain control for volume, but if I turn the deck volume up too loud there isn't enough bass, and if turned down too low there's too much bass. Anyone ever heard of this problem?
Old 06-01-2005, 05:11 PM
MaximaFreak

Couple more:
How many inputs are on how many amps?
You're using all 3 pre-outs on your headunit?
All other channels sound fine?
Are subs on a dedicated amp OR input?

My first guess: you need to use the crossover in the headunit to make the independent sub preout work. Check documentation on the head unit thoroughly before you assume too much.

My second guess (if my first guess is way off): The headunit could be broken. The physics behind this is that the RCA signal is either not being sent to the amp, or the amp is not getting the signal to attenuate. However, it is receiving the actual audio signal. This leads me back to the headunit being broken. Ususally when amp inputs go, the whole thing goes.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:34 PM
tastey wheat

i betchu you plugged your amp (for subs) into the wrong RCA outs on your deck... if your deck has multiple RCA outs, def check to see if you plugged them into the SW ones... not just the 'output' ones.

edit: whoops, missed your last post skyline.. my b
Old 06-01-2005, 11:07 PM

I'm plugged into all 3 outputs, Fronts go to an amp, rears go nowhere right now, and subs goes to a separate amp. Subs have dedicated amp and input, so do the fronts, and soon rears. I know I'm plugged into the correct RCA jacks, because the fronts are correct for sure, and if it were plugged into the rear jacks, then I would still be able to fade from front to back, and the sub would still attenuate with the main volume control. This is kind of aggravating, I've had the deck for quite some time now, and finally when I decide to install the remaining parts of a full system, the deck isn't working properly. I had a feeling it could be broken but it's mind boggling to me how its only the sub control stuff that isn't working properly, while the rest of the deck functions fine.

Terry
Old 06-02-2005, 06:37 AM
MaximaFreak

So, then, if I'm reading you correctly, if you plug the sub amp into the rear output on your headunit (not the sub output), the subs will attenuate correctly?

If this is the case, leave ths subs plugged into that output and you just lose the ability to control sub volume from the driver's seat. With the rear amp/speakers you plan to put in, you could plug into an output on one of your amps (if your amps happen to have an output ... many newer amps do), or you could split (Y) the signal before the amp and run another set to the rear amp and use internal crossovers.

If my assumptions above are correct, your headunit is either broken or a setting somewhere has been ignored.