Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Component System Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 11:24 AM

Component System Opinions

I understand everyone has their own opinions about these types of things but I wanted to get some info on some Component systems. I'm looking to purchase a set of Components and I've seen people throw certain brands around. I haven't seen MB Quarts, Rainbow, Diamond, Focal, or Boston Acoustic Components anywhere to listen to them myself. I've only heard the Focal Polykevlar in Shreveport a few years back. I want to go with the Focal Utopias but haven't heard them.

I was hoping that between everyone on the board I can find people that have listened to the brands above. I'd like to know which do you prefer and what do you suggest if I've missed a brand that has great sounding components. Please recommend. I have a Dex-P1R Deck, 2 Infinity Beta Digital 100s to push the tweeters and midrange/midbass drivers. I also have an Infinity Beta Digital 300 for a 12" L7 in a ported box.

I also have 4 Altec ALS-693 6x9 (Brand New) and a 4 in Altec Component set (used) for sale.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:57 AM
MaximaFreak

Infinity Beta digital amplifiers should not be used to drive component speakers. Class D power is best served to subwoofers.

As for which comonents to buy ... I can't tell you which without knowing any of your listening preferences or what you think of speakers you have heard.

What I can tell you is that chosing from any of the brands you listed, you would probably be very happy. All listed are really specific to audiophiles and not for the average Joe.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:02 PM

Ham,

I didn't know it would be a problem to run them off of digital amps (digital switching), I like them because they're efficient and don't put out much heat. My Punch Amp used to get hot as lava but not the Betas. I didn't have a problem running my Kicker Components before with those amps. I'll also have an Active Crossover installed.

I don't prefer brands that are common to best buy, circuit city etc. I'd like to get some high end components that not that many people have. I've heard, Infinity, Polk, RF, Alpine, Kenwood, Sony, etc. JL Audio sounded nice. I didn't care too much for the others though. The Focals I did hear sounded better that anything I heard before or since.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:08 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Rainbow, Alumapro, Arc Audio would be my first picks. Prolly cause I carry those.

A few others would be DLS,Dynaudio,etc..

Depending which you pick, make sure your wallet can back it.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:17 PM
"tse-tse fly"

ive got infinity kappas in the front very pleased crisp clear sound..
Old 06-01-2005, 12:18 PM

Thanks Alot. I'm going to research the brands you all mentioned.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:23 PM
MaximaFreak

I only asked because the most discernable difference I see in component sets is what the tweeter is made of. I generally steer clear of hard domed tweeters in favor of soft dome. Makes for a less harsh sound ...

If you can get your hands on Infinity Beta components, they are definitely some of the best I have ever personally heard ...
Old 06-01-2005, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Big_Ham
I only asked because the most discernable difference I see in component sets is what the tweeter is made of. I generally steer clear of hard domed tweeters in favor of soft dome. Makes for a less harsh sound ...

If you can get your hands on Infinity Beta components, they are definitely some of the best I have ever personally heard ...
I had kicker ND22 titanium dome tweeters and changed them to ND25 slik dome tweets. I preferred the silk dome. They were less tinny.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Infinity Beta digital amplifiers should not be used to drive component speakers. Class D power is best served to subwoofers.
ACTUALLY....
Infinity Beta, particularly the digital 50 and 100 were/are used for mid/highs applications by many people- . they are full range class d stereo amps
http://manuals.harman.com/INF/CAR/Ow...100,300-om.pdf

NOT

limited band, subwoofer dedicated, class d as the digital 300. The average HU can high pass the fronstage.

Altomobile has perfected the class d digital amp for ALL uses commendably as well.
www.altomobile.com
Old 06-01-2005, 02:10 PM
MaximaFreak

Actually ... as I'm finding out (to corroborate your stories), there was "supposedly" distortion in the high end of Class D amps. As someone from my car audio team put it:

"Early Class D amps allegedly had distortion in the
upper bands. The meme on the street is that they were
only good for bass. I've found neither to be true, but
when you pay for a class D you tend to want to put all
that power into rattling your nuthairs."

To clarify his sarcasm ... Class D is great for subs because they're so efficient. That said ... I can imagine (now that I've disspelled my own rumors) that those Beta amps probably sound pretty good on your highs ... I've always loved the Beta line. I was upset when they killed it ... but really it was their own fault (crappy marketing) that caused the line to fail.

As soon as I posted that they weren't made for use on component sets, I went to work finding the real story. Sorry for posting hokey **** in the first place.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:40 PM

I currently running CDT's n my max. I have a 3-way comp up front and a 2-way comp n the rear, getting powered by a JL 450/4. I'm very pleased with them for the price. Definatly something worth looking n 2. Also the RE component sets r awesome, especially the XXX midbass drivers. I agree with Don on the DLS Iridiums and Dynaudio, very very nice speakers.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by quiksand
I haven't seen MB Quarts, Rainbow, Diamond, Focal, or Boston Acoustic Components anywhere to listen to them myself. I've only heard the Focal Polykevlar in Shreveport a few years back. I want to go with the Focal Utopias but haven't heard them. Thanks in advance.
If you haven't heard any of those others, then chances are you'd be happy with any of them. Having said that, if you're leaning towards the Focals I'd just stop researching there and go for it. I'd be extremely surprised if you DIDN'T like them. You'll likely be more influenced by how they sound depending on the installation...so do a good job and pay particular attention to the mounting location of the tweeter based on what sounds best to you.

Tony
Old 06-02-2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Fernandes
If you haven't heard any of those others, then chances are you'd be happy with any of them. Having said that, if you're leaning towards the Focals I'd just stop researching there and go for it. I'd be extremely surprised if you DIDN'T like them. You'll likely be more influenced by how they sound depending on the installation...so do a good job and pay particular attention to the mounting location of the tweeter based on what sounds best to you.

Tony
BUT... if he likes and is somewhat leaning towards the Utopias, he may be alot happier with the Rainbow Soundlines or above....proven in competition to sound better and a fraction of the cost.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
BUT... if he likes and is somewhat leaning towards the Utopias, he may be alot happier with the Rainbow Soundlines or above....proven in competition to sound better and a fraction of the cost.
Proven to sound better to Quiksand?

Heck, there's a ton of speakers he may like better than the Focals. And who knows...maybe he wouldn't be able to tell the difference between any of them!!!

Tony
Old 06-02-2005, 12:27 PM

Proven to sound better to Quiksand?

Heck, there's a ton of speakers he may like better than the Focals. And who knows...maybe he wouldn't be able to tell the difference between any of them!!!

Tony
No of course not to each individuals ears, just at a sanctioned event. Obviously were not talking about $100-$150 speakers here, so it was just a thought to throw out SQ to $$ wise.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
No of course not to each individuals ears, just at a sanctioned event. Obviously were not talking about $100-$150 speakers here, so it was just a thought to throw out SQ to $$ wise.
Don, I don't know you personally to be using your real name but I feel stupid referring to you as Pearl96Max. Do you carry the Rainbow line? If so, what are some prices for the Rainbow Soundlines or their higher end 6 1/2 or 6 3/4 Component system?
Old 06-02-2005, 01:31 PM

Tony
Thanks for your input. When I heard the Focals the were in this special room with a **** load of other components to compare them to. The Sales Advisor thre on some RF components and then the Focals. Focals waxed that @$$ as well as Polk, Alpine etc. I'm pretty sure they won't sound the way they did in that room when I install them. The reason I wanted the Focals was that they were the Best I have heard at the time. I'm going to have to listen to the Rainbows and compare to see which is the best sound $ for $.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:51 PM
MaximaFreak

Now you're talking ... nothing beats going to listen!

Good luck finding what you need!
Old 06-02-2005, 06:34 PM

i say zapco's new component speakers, or DLS iridiums with that setup and zapco amps sound comps should be a breeze and they sound amazing in the right kick panels
Old 06-03-2005, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by CreativeDesignz
i say zapco's new component speakers, or DLS iridiums with that setup and zapco amps sound comps should be a breeze and they sound amazing in the right kick panels
I thought about getting kick panels installed but after noticing how I drive my left leg would be partially blocking the driverside kick panel. Putting them in the doors wont help either. Maybe if I utilize the time alignment function on my deck I won't have to get kick panels.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:24 AM
MaximaFreak

I was very impressed with time alignment ... a very nice tool. You had a good thought with kickpanels, but you do wind up blocking the path to the passenger so unless you'll be competing, they're not as great as they could be.

Have to buy a McLaren so you can get truly equal pathlengths
Old 06-03-2005, 07:50 AM

well DLS speakers pretty much need to be in kick panels for them to sound thier best. i have them in my car and my friend also has them in his mazda speed protege and we both block them with out feet when we drive. and to be honest with you you really cant tell a difference. you get what you pay for with car audio. and im going to start competeing in sound competition soon so i have no doubts these are among the best speakers made.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:57 AM
MaximaFreak

I will be building my DLS 3's and 1's into my A pillar ... a la Earl Zauzmer. Midbass will go in the door. I found this to be a good alternative to kickpanels. Earl did win a BUNCH of competitions over a 5 year period after all ...
Old 06-03-2005, 08:32 AM

I was very impressed with time alignment ... a very nice tool. You had a good thought with kickpanels, but you do wind up blocking the path to the passenger so unless you'll be competing, they're not as great as they could be.

Have to buy a McLaren so you can get truly equal pathlengths
$h!t on $300 kick panels I think I'll splurge and kick out the extra Million to have a true center sound stage. Good Idea Ham. Do you have any pics of Earl Zauzmer's setup?
Old 06-03-2005, 08:44 AM
MaximaFreak

Sorry for the misspelling ... Earl Zausmer.

http://milbert.com/earl/

Earl had motorized pods in his BMW 540i with B&W speakers in them. These motorized out of the dash in the a-pillar area. He also had 15" subs in the kickpanels ... and if I'm not mistaken, he was one of the first to use Sony XES stuff ...

One of the greatest cars to ever compete.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:52 AM
MaximaFreak

Old 06-03-2005, 08:56 AM

I also have 3-way CDT Comps and they sound great!
Old 06-03-2005, 09:41 AM

Damn, Damn, Damn. B&W makes some good $h!t. I can't believe this guy put it in his BMW. I like the way the mids and tweets are set up. This must have sounded awesome.

They have some XES stuff on ebay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 06-04-2005, 10:17 PM

that car is crazy. sony xes stuff was way ahead of its time.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:28 AM

Ham,

I noticed you mentioned that you were going to put 3" and a tweeter in your A-pillars. What are you going to do about the vent thats there, the ones that come on with the defroster.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:40 AM

small sacrifice in the search of audio excellence

or he can relocate the vent.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:14 PM
MaximaFreak

Haven't worked out all the logistics of the install just yet. I still don't even have the 3's in my possession yet to test fit them. However, from the measurements I have, I may be able to avoid completely blocking it. Als, as machinehead said ... covering that vent won't kill me and I believe it is certainly not important enough to relocate.