Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Subs with Stock HU

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 04:26 PM

Subs with Stock HU

Whats the best way to set up an amp and 2 12" subs while keeping the stock bose headunit? I need details, Im looking to improve on mine. I used the line converter, and I hate it. Thanks
Old 06-01-2005, 04:30 PM

Why didn't you like it? Anyways, look into the JL Audio cleansweep, it may help you with your problem. Audiocontrol also makes some very nice equipment, with the bonus of being able to take speaker level inputs. Where did you tap your outputs for your LOC? Bose stereo or not?

dh
Old 06-01-2005, 07:08 PM

It never hits right...it either puts out way to much or never enough. I tapped into the back left speaker, and I do have a bose. I just hate the way it sounds. Having no subs at all actually sounded better than how it is now.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:32 PM

If you tapped it coming out of the amp, it's probably due to bass being boosted by the amp. A lot of stock car stereos set it up so that the bass is enhanced at low volume, and then it tapers off at higher volume. It may be more noticable with your aftermarket subs now. Try tapping the signal going into the amp [if it's worth your time], if you think this may be the case. What kind of LOC are you using?

dh
Old 06-01-2005, 09:26 PM
BP
Donating Maxima.org Member

i have the non-bose but same principle. spliced in the line converter from the back of the stock hu rear speaker line and ran it to the amp. splicing the line at the hu instead of at the speaker gave a cleaner sound for me. the closer you splice to the speaker the more the sound degrades.

best bang for buck audio setup: change out your stock door speakers and pillar tweeters for a decent aftermarket set, and do the line out converter from hu to amp/subs. this is the setup i have and it sounds great. i'm in no rush to change the stock hu at this point since it produces good sound...plus i still have some old mix tape cassettes i play every now and then.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:09 AM
Hit 'em with the stun gun

Originally Posted by BP
best bang for buck audio setup: change out your stock door speakers and pillar tweeters for a decent aftermarket set, and do the line out converter from hu to amp/subs. this is the setup i have and it sounds great. i'm in no rush to change the stock hu at this point since it produces good sound...plus i still have some old mix tape cassettes i play every now and then.
How are you powering the speakers? I thought about doing that as well, but I keep hearing it's better/easier to just replace everything.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:54 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by danhaman
If you tapped it coming out of the amp, it's probably due to bass being boosted by the amp. A lot of stock car stereos set it up so that the bass is enhanced at low volume, and then it tapers off at higher volume. It may be more noticable with your aftermarket subs now. Try tapping the signal going into the amp [if it's worth your time], if you think this may be the case. What kind of LOC are you using?

dh
That would defeat the purpose of a LOC. LOC convert a high level to a low. Being that is no 'level' coming from the HU it is useless.

Easiest thing to do would be to splice in female RCA leads behind the HU and run your regular RCAs to the amp.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by BP
the closer you splice to the speaker the more the sound degrades.
Not sure where you heard this, but its actually not true. Just FYI....
Old 06-02-2005, 12:05 PM
BP

Originally Posted by MainSource
How are you powering the speakers? I thought about doing that as well, but I keep hearing it's better/easier to just replace everything.
i'm powering the door speakers from the stock hu. of course the subs are powered from the amp, with the input coming from the line in to the amp rca.

99% of the time you'll get better sound quality with a good aftermarket hu. if you want to stay cheap like me you can just do what i did with the stock system and get a significant improvement over stock.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:10 PM
BP

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Not sure where you heard this, but its actually not true. Just FYI....
really? when i wired my car the first time i spliced the line out converter at the speaker to the amp, the sound from the subs was pitchy and not tight at all. once i spliced from the back of the hu the signal seemed way more stable at higher volumes and the bass was cleaner.

maybe i should have clarified and said that if you splice the line out at the speaker terminal then the sound quality will degrade. in my experience that's what happened. are you saying it shouldn't matter?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by BP
really? when i wired my car the first time i spliced the line out converter at the speaker to the amp, the sound from the subs was pitchy and not tight at all. once i spliced from the back of the hu the signal seemed way more stable at higher volumes and the bass was cleaner.

maybe i should have clarified and said that if you splice the line out at the speaker terminal then the sound quality will degrade. in my experience that's what happened. are you saying it shouldn't matter?
Maybe you had something else causing the problem. It really doesnt matter where provided its a good connection.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:29 PM
BP

could have been the stock speaker causing the problem... i'll never know now since i went straight to the hu after i tried splicing to the speaker and it didn't sound good. since then i've replaced the stock speakers.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:56 PM

so then all in all...how should I go about fixing it
Old 06-04-2005, 06:02 AM

same problem

well I went to tweeter the other day to ask them to install my system and they said that if i use the LOC it might blow out the bose sound system and if it doesn't the sound that comes out is bad (crackling sound or something). Is this true? or are they just being a ****. if it helps i have 2k5 maxi. I'm new to the group so i don't know much about the maxi. Please let me know. Thank you
Old 06-08-2005, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
That would defeat the purpose of a LOC. LOC convert a high level to a low. Being that is no 'level' coming from the HU it is useless.

Easiest thing to do would be to splice in female RCA leads behind the HU and run your regular RCAs to the amp.
There can't really be no signal at all. It wasn't until just recently I thought about the signal coming from the head unit on a bose system as possibly being a low level signal already, and that you may not need a LOC at all. It is, however, possible to run a LOC off the pre-amp signal, as I've done it in an RSX [also a bose product with outboard amp]. Without a decent LOC it probably wouldn't have worked very well at all, as I probably degraded it, if it was already a low level signal.

dh
Old 06-08-2005, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by danhaman
There can't really be no signal at all. It wasn't until just recently I thought about the signal coming from the head unit on a bose system as possibly being a low level signal already, and that you may not need a LOC at all. It is, however, possible to run a LOC off the pre-amp signal, as I've done it in an RSX [also a bose product with outboard amp]. Without a decent LOC it probably wouldn't have worked very well at all, as I probably degraded it, if it was already a low level signal.

dh
Of course theres a signal, thats why I said no signal "level" referring to the LOC. Theres no high level signal coming from the HU itself.

If you think it wouldnt have worked well, then you should have tried it. Ive been doing it for nearly a decade now with absolutely no issues at all.