Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Remove The Bose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Remove The Bose?

cd player went out, is it true you can't replace the HU without re-wiring the entire car?
Old 06-16-2005, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by mr.maxx
cd player went out, is it true you can't replace the HU without re-wiring the entire car?
Welcome to the org. No it is not true that you can't replace the headunit without re-wiring the entire car. I just finished replacing my bose with an aftermarket hu. Although, there is an adapter that many will recomend you buying in order for it to sound the best. I don't know for sure, but I know without the adapter, the speakers sound like crap! And another thing, try to read as many threads as possible before you start posting questions. And definately read all the FAQ's. Good luck and I hope this helps you.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by mr.maxx
i thought you couldnt start new threads but after posting 20 or more times ?? ummm interesting....
Old 06-16-2005, 06:23 PM
brooklynK3Y

Where do u buy this adapter from?

Old 06-17-2005, 12:00 AM

Give CrutchField a call, they will tell you exactly what you can and can't do to your BOSE system. They are very helpful... also, once you buy from them they are completely willing to walk you through each step of the install. I was very impressed as a first time car audio buyer.

By the way, I do remember Crutchfield mentioning an adapter of some sort, I'd hit them up on that.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^^ Hes right crutchfield will sell you everything you need and give you instructions to do it.

Proph
Old 06-17-2005, 11:30 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by memphis_sktr
but I know without the adapter, the speakers sound like crap! .
Who told you this? Ive dozens of cars without any 'adaptor' and they sounded perfectly fine.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Who told you this? Ive dozens of cars without any 'adaptor' and they sounded perfectly fine.
No one told me this. I replaced my stock hu with an aftermarket one. There really isn't any bass in the speakers, but it does sound okay. Sounds a lot better with stock cd player. I took the stock cd player to my shop so I could fix it. I was able to fix half of it, and now something else is wrong. Do you have any tips to make the aftermarket hu sound better with the stock system? Any help would be grately appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:55 AM

Mine sounds fine without the adaptor. And my speakers hit well enough to make the mirror shake. maybe you just need better speakers.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by kcidmil
Mine sounds fine without the adaptor. And my speakers hit well enough to make the mirror shake. maybe you just need better speakers.
Do you have aftermarket speakers? I have the stock speakers in my car, and they hit pretty hard with the stock hu.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:53 AM

Read the sig... it lists all my mods. JVC H/U Clarion Speakers
Old 06-18-2005, 12:24 PM

No one told me this. I replaced my stock hu with an aftermarket one. There really isn't any bass in the speakers, but it does sound okay. Sounds a lot better with stock cd player. I took the stock cd player to my shop so I could fix it. I was able to fix half of it, and now something else is wrong. Do you have any tips to make the aftermarket hu sound better with the stock system? Any help would be grately appreciated. Thanks.
Just splice in male RCA leads to your factory speaker wires, then plug into the preouts of your aftermarket HU. OR use Metra harness 70-7551 which does the same thing, only prewired. Just NEVER connect the speker leads of the aftermarket HU directly to the speaker leads of the Blose.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:15 PM

Just splice in male RCA leads to your factory speaker wires, then plug into the preouts of your aftermarket HU. OR use Metra harness 70-7551 which does the same thing, only prewired. Just NEVER connect the speker leads of the aftermarket HU directly to the speaker leads of the Blose.
What do you mean by the male RCA leads to your factory speaker? Do you mean all the neg and pos wires for both the front and back speakers, splice RCA Male ends and plug them into the hu instead of connecting them through the wire harness adapter from the aftemarket hu? And another thing, since it is a signal that is sent to the amplifiers, I can splice them into a paralell instead of giving all the wires male ends of RCA cables. From what I remember from school, the signal will not be distorted or disturbed doing this; I'm not too sure though.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:11 PM

What do you mean by the male RCA leads to your factory speaker? Do you mean all the neg and pos wires for both the front and back speakers, splice RCA Male ends and plug them into the hu instead of connecting them through the wire harness adapter from the aftemarket hu? And another thing, since it is a signal that is sent to the amplifiers, I can splice them into a paralell instead of giving all the wires male ends of RCA cables. From what I remember from school, the signal will not be distorted or disturbed doing this; I'm not too sure though.
Yes just connect them directly to your speaker leads from the OEM wires AT the HU location. Run positive to positive, negative to negative for each one. One male RCA lead would represent each channel. Total should be four of course.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:50 PM

Yes just connect them directly to your speaker leads from the OEM wires AT the HU location. Run positive to positive, negative to negative for each one. One male RCA lead would represent each channel. Total should be four of course.
Thanks, I will try this out either this weekend or on Monday.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by MaxFanatic
Where do u buy this adapter from?
Dude use the adapter if u want to keep the speakers.. i have one laying around.. its almost brand new, i used it for 2 months.... pm me if u want it