Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Would this work??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 10:18 AM

Would this work??

I have the the new Car Audio mag and I saw the 2006 mercedes cls500. It has three diamond audio D9 10" subs in the rear deak. I want to no if thats possible to do to my maxima?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do the o5's have the torsion bar? If they do you will need to remove it. If not. It would be a matter of building an enclosure. The Mercedes you saw was done by the same guy who originally put my system in. The car slams BTW. It was at SBN in Daytona this year.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:24 AM

Ehhh... Memphis M-Class looks better ...
Old 07-11-2005, 10:35 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

ANYthing is possible with the know-how and time to do it.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:35 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by kcidmil
Ehhh... Memphis M-Class looks better ...

Function Over Form my friend..
Old 07-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Kevlo for President

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=416291

Pearl, I need your input please
Old 07-11-2005, 10:38 AM

I believe he built a laberynth box. From what I have heard the TDX/D9's love that type of box. If I hadn't wanted to keep my spare, I would have had him build one for mine.

Something tells me Don is holding out on some knowledge. I bet he could build one.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:39 AM

That whole set up is hot I went to the shop over here to get it done for my max and he said he could not do it. Maybe he think I was joking because im a girl? filtor1 how much would something like that cost me did he rip you off for your system?
Old 07-11-2005, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=416291

Pearl, I need your input please
Good person to ask. He has never given me bad directions.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Sexyass Maxima
That whole set up is hot I went to the shop over here to get it done for my max and he said he could not do it. Maybe he think I was joking because im a girl? filtor1 how much would something like that cost me did he rip you off for your system?
I would guess the cost would depend on the shop. He def didn't rip me off. I paid about what your average person would have. I could have saved a ton of cash by doing it myself, I just didn't have the tools I needed. The cost will also depend on how much fabrication and altering of the rear deck has to be done. You would also need to seal off the trunk from the cabin relatively well to eliminate cancellation. The materials wouldn't be that much, just the labor. I would say around $600 for a single 10" D9 with an under deck mounted box. You will need a beefy amp to make that D9 shine, so factoe that in as well.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:46 AM

Plus Don might have some stuff at good prices for him. Plus it's hard to work with someone easily changes their mind... j/k
Old 07-11-2005, 10:47 AM

Sexyass Maxima, I see you are close to Don. within an hour. Try and see what he can do for you.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Function Over Form my friend..
I'll have you know my 4 M-Class subs shake everything (hate to see what happens when I have that 1100 watt installed )
Old 07-11-2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by filtor1
Sexyass Maxima, I see you are close to Don. within an hour. Try and see what he can do for you.
How do I get to him does he have a web site
Old 07-11-2005, 11:03 AM

I believe he built a laberynth box. From what I have heard the TDX/D9's love that type of box. If I hadn't wanted to keep my spare, I would have had him build one for mine.

Something tells me Don is holding out on some knowledge. I bet he could build one.
A Laberynth box is simply a ported box. The only difference is that you use multiple pieces of wood to make up the port since you dont have the lenth or space to make it in one piece.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:20 AM

So jigga123 would that be hard to do for the max I want three sub in my rear deck
Old 07-11-2005, 12:26 PM

How do I get to him does he have a web site
PM him. He is a Audio Forum moderator.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:28 PM

Ooops, almost forgot, Pearl96Max=Don.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:37 PM

Ooops, almost forgot, Pearl96Max=Don.
Thanks for the help
Old 07-12-2005, 07:13 AM

It would depend on what subs and how much space they require. You would need 3 subs that require very little space. Off the top of my head the only subs that I cna think of that will fit the application are the SoundSplinter 10's. Also, with 3 subs your gonna end up witha weird ohm load. I believe either 2.67 or .67 ohms. You would need eithe very beefy amp to push 3 ohms to give the subs enough power or pay the cash for amp that is .5 ohm stable, which they arent too many around. It definately can be done,just take your time and plan all of it.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:58 AM

Or 3 amps, one per sub. I would go with a pair of 10's for simplicily. As jigga mentioned it would be much easier to match an amp to the coils.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the help
Any time.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:15 AM
MaximaFreak

Originally Posted by jigga123
A Laberynth box is simply a ported box. The only difference is that you use multiple pieces of wood to make up the port since you dont have the lenth or space to make it in one piece.
Do you mean a folded horn? A sealed box with the sub(s) firing into a slot? Or do you mean a simple ported box where you're simply making the port out of wood instead of using a typical rounded port?
Old 07-12-2005, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Big_Ham
Do you mean a folded horn? A sealed box with the sub(s) firing into a slot? Or do you mean a simple ported box where you're simply making the port out of wood instead of using a typical rounded port?
No not a folded horn. In my experience a labrenyht(sp) is a ported box in which you use multiple peices of wood because the enclosure is too small for a L port. It kinda looks like a maze, Im kinda busy or I would draw one up in paint.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:56 AM
MaximaFreak

Labyrinth

Didn't you ever see the movie?

Old 07-12-2005, 11:21 AM

lolz nope. Heres a pic of a laberynth enclosure.
http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ult...;f=11;t=080504
Old 07-12-2005, 11:32 AM
MaximaFreak

Gotcha. Seems more difficult to calculat volume of the box and port tho. I'd go with a traditional port myself.

And if you've never had a folded horn ... they really do ROCK.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Big_Ham
Gotcha. Seems more difficult to calculat volume of the box and port tho. I'd go with a traditional port myself.

And if you've never had a folded horn ... they really do ROCK.
Not really more difficult, it comes in useful for tight spaces. I wish I had the skill to build a folded horn.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:56 PM

http://www.audioenhancers.com/catalo...ecific.html#DA

I like this picture a lot more myself
Old 07-12-2005, 05:03 PM

Yep. now that X3 in a new Merecedes. Creamy.

Ham, how's the project going?
Old 07-18-2005, 02:50 PM

Found the install pics on his web site.

http://www.audioproz.net/gallery/CLS500

Enjoy.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Back from Hibernation

Hey sexyazz:

If you're gonna consider a rear deck sub install, consider looking into an IB (infinate baffle) install with a sub designed for it. I think as far as rear deck installs, it's the only way to go for asthetic, space, and SQ purposes....

First off, it looks dead sexy when you open a trunk and see...not carpeted wood, not even painted glass.....but SUBS a hangin from the rear deck.

Since theres no enclosure necessary (the trunk is the enclosure...you totally seperate the airspace from the cabin and trunk) you actually save space and can even make a removable fake back wall/grille that hides the whole thing.

As far as SQ goes, personally, I've liked the IB installs more than the sealed or ported enclosures because of the low end extension, and...well theres a certain "lack of enclosure" sound....or maybe I should say that enclosures may have specific sounds.....anyway, IB is my personal preference. My bias is towards Image Dynamics subs, which all work IB. Heard ID12's, IDQ15's, and IDQ 12's IB. Got myself an IDMAX that I'd like to go IB with (with a partner to be purchased) from the rear deck, but ran out of money doing my install as always.

http://www.b-quiet.com/big/buwalda7.jpg

Heres a shot of Scott Buwaldas 3 12's from the rear deck of his Altima.

Theres plenty more IB install pics on the www.imagedynamicsusa.com website if you look at the team or photo gallery. Look for Mic Wallaces, Lori Wallaces, Jason Winslow's, and the install from the guy Matt that works overseas at Nearfield audio overseas.

I was considering trying myself (which I think I could do, the question would be prettyness) and bringing it to get done. I know your in New York somewhere, but if your serious about it and want it done pimped and proper in all respects, lemme recommend Jason Barecca. and his shop. Long time IASCA guy, his shop and one other dude just pumping out crazy custom stuff He's in Pennsylvania so it may not be too far.

http://www.slick.elitecaraudio.org/

I spoke to him about my project. Pulling it off is just another days work for him...He said I'd need to leave it for about a week, he had a lot of crazy potential ideas if I wanted to go crazy, and I think his prices as a whole and hourly are very reasonable. Oh, and he's a real good guy.

Anyway, definately consider IB...and good luck!
Old 07-18-2005, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by BBOYSTEVIE
Hey sexyazz:

If you're gonna consider a rear deck sub install, consider looking into an IB (infinate baffle) install with a sub designed for it. I think as far as rear deck installs, it's the only way to go for asthetic, space, and SQ purposes....

First off, it looks dead sexy when you open a trunk and see...not carpeted wood, not even painted glass.....but SUBS a hangin from the rear deck.

Since theres no enclosure necessary (the trunk is the enclosure...you totally seperate the airspace from the cabin and trunk) you actually save space and can even make a removable fake back wall/grille that hides the whole thing.

As far as SQ goes, personally, I've liked the IB installs more than the sealed or ported enclosures because of the low end extension, and...well theres a certain "lack of enclosure" sound....or maybe I should say that enclosures may have specific sounds.....anyway, IB is my personal preference. My bias is towards Image Dynamics subs, which all work IB. Heard ID12's, IDQ15's, and IDQ 12's IB. Got myself an IDMAX that I'd like to go IB with (with a partner to be purchased) from the rear deck, but ran out of money doing my install as always.

http://www.b-quiet.com/big/buwalda7.jpg

Heres a shot of Scott Buwaldas 3 12's from the rear deck of his Altima.

Theres plenty more IB install pics on the www.imagedynamicsusa.com website if you look at the team or photo gallery. Look for Mic Wallaces, Lori Wallaces, Jason Winslow's, and the install from the guy Matt that works overseas at Nearfield audio overseas.

I was considering trying myself (which I think I could do, the question would be prettyness) and bringing it to get done. I know your in New York somewhere, but if your serious about it and want it done pimped and proper in all respects, lemme recommend Jason Barecca. and his shop. Long time IASCA guy, his shop and one other dude just pumping out crazy custom stuff He's in Pennsylvania so it may not be too far.

http://www.slick.elitecaraudio.org/

I spoke to him about my project. Pulling it off is just another days work for him...He said I'd need to leave it for about a week, he had a lot of crazy potential ideas if I wanted to go crazy, and I think his prices as a whole and hourly are very reasonable. Oh, and he's a real good guy.

Anyway, definately consider IB...and good luck!
That is so cool thanks for posting this info but I think I want to go with 3 D9's Or alpine type x subs. Now that I no you can use 12" subs im going to do that. One more thing would it work with the ones I want to use? Thanks love
Old 07-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Back from Hibernation

generally:

Qts > 0.6
and the Vas should be smaller that the amount of area the subs will be in (trunk)

I would check parameters and call manufacturer first........

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...97_25_full.jpg

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showt...hlight=cutting

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showt...hlight=welding

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/gallery/album13
(not rear deck buck sick IB)

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/gallery/album47
also not rear deck, but may give you some creative ideas......right when I mention IB rear deck Jason started talking about building a fiberglass tub to hang em from a little like this one, but from the rear deck of course.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:19 PM

generally:

Qts > 0.6
and the Vas should be smaller that the amount of area the subs will be in (trunk)

I would check parameters and call manufacturer first........

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...97_25_full.jpg

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showt...hlight=cutting

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showt...hlight=welding

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/gallery/album13
(not rear deck buck sick IB)

http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/gallery/album47
also not rear deck, but may give you some creative ideas......right when I mention IB rear deck Jason started talking about building a fiberglass tub to hang em from a little like this one, but from the rear deck of course.
If he could do it in the altima I should have alittle more room in the max. What kind of subs he got back in the rear deck? Also would your guy in pa give me a good price. I was thinking about taking my car to don . thanks love
Old 07-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Back from Hibernation

Those were 3 12's.....DLS's version that are made for freeair. Haven't heard them personally, but that is what I like to see when I open a trunk

Beleive me...theres room.

Is Don Ascendant Max or Pearl Max? I'm just figuring out who the car audio gurus are on this board. Definately don't want to take business from him, so keep him in mind. I've seen some good work from some of these guys, so if they're closer and prices are reasonable, go for it. Be glad that installer you spoke to said he couldn't do it. Better figure that out sooner than later....I just wanted tolet ya know somebody that I'd recommend, give you some ideas, and of course present my vote for an IB install as the best rear deck install option.

I don't wanna publicly quote the prices that Jason gave me, but I thought it was very reasonable, given the confidence I have in him and his work, and all that is entailed in this type of job. His hourly rate is less than local installers that don't do what he does. jbarreca@sunlink.net If you choose to drop him a line, tell him BBOYSTEVIE sent ya.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:00 PM

Those were 3 12's.....DLS's version that are made for freeair. Haven't heard them personally, but that is what I like to see when I open a trunk

Beleive me...theres room.

Is Don Ascendant Max or Pearl Max? I'm just figuring out who the car audio gurus are on this board. Definately don't want to take business from him, so keep him in mind. I've seen some good work from some of these guys, so if they're closer and prices are reasonable, go for it. Be glad that installer you spoke to said he couldn't do it. Better figure that out sooner than later....I just wanted tolet ya know somebody that I'd recommend, give you some ideas, and of course present my vote for an IB install as the best rear deck install option.

I don't wanna publicly quote the prices that Jason gave me, but I thought it was very reasonable, given the confidence I have in him and his work, and all that is entailed in this type of job. His hourly rate is less than local installers that don't do what he does. jbarreca@sunlink.net If you choose to drop him a line, tell him BBOYSTEVIE sent ya.
Thanks for all the info thats really nice of you to help out so much. Pearl Max is the guy and what everybody told me he is the man when it comes to the maxima. Also thanks 4 your man e-mail and I still may drop him a line I have alot of projects coming up. Thankyou to everyone who give me info see ya in my next Thread. Thanks love
Old 07-18-2005, 07:04 PM

Is Don Ascendant Max or Pearl Max? I'm just figuring out who the car audio gurus are on this board. Definately don't want to take business from him, so keep him in mind.
Don's Pearl, I'm Gordon

What's wrong with dealing with Don?
Old 07-18-2005, 07:34 PM

i think he meant, you should do bussisness with him
Old 07-18-2005, 08:14 PM
Back from Hibernation

What I wanted to get accross, but maybe didn't do so clearly, was that just because I'm recommending one person that I think would do a great job, that doesn't mean that the person she was looking at wouldn't.....

By all means, go with em!

And I apologize if I was or it appears I was stepping on toes. Not what was intended.

Quick Reply: Would this work??