Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Amplifier Power Cable Route

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2001, 08:08 PM

Hey people. I have an Infinity Basslink and I only need to run a power cable from the battery to the turnk (it shuts on and off when it senses voltage from the speaker level inputs, which I have to hook up too). I read this description of how this guy did it at(http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/eleclight.htm ) under "audio." He says he ran the cable through a hole in the firewall to the left of the fuel filter. Where is the fuel filter? Where did you guys run your power cables?
Old 05-22-2001, 08:52 PM
jmax

Drill a 3/4 to 1 inch hole. Give it a quick blast of rustoleum. Then run the cable down the drivers side to the trunk. Easy. I didn't use a factory hole because there are none near the floor.

Old 05-22-2001, 09:11 PM

Okay that sounds cool, but I'm looking for something a little less permanent. Where exactly are the factory holes that are not close to the floor? Can you tell me how I could get to them?
Old 05-22-2001, 10:35 PM
STFU n00b!

the factory holes are much harder to get to, and they're just as "permanent" as drilling a hole for the wire..

that being said, I ran my power cable through the grommet for my hood release cable.
Old 05-23-2001, 03:47 PM

Okay the grommet for the hood release sounds like a good way for me to go with my power cable. So how do you get to it from under the hood? Is it the same for your max and my max (97 SE)? I'm assuming something as simple as that has not had much variation. I looked under the hood and I think that I will have to get to it by removing the wheel well and then the hood release cable is run right through there. Is that where you sent yours?
Old 05-23-2001, 06:41 PM
Banned

Re: Amplifier Power Cable Route

Originally posted by Minimalmaxima
Okay the grommet for the hood release sounds like a good way for me to go with my power cable. So how do you get to it from under the hood? Is it the same for your max and my max (97 SE)? I'm assuming something as simple as that has not had much variation. I looked under the hood and I think that I will have to get to it by removing the wheel well and then the hood release cable is run right through there. Is that where you sent yours?
There is 1 way you can do it without drilling. There is a rubber ring that goes over the "hood release wire". Pull that ring out and you have enough room for a 2 ga. wire. From there run about a foot or 2 through the hole (until no more will go). You have run the wire into the wheel well. Make sure the wheel is turned to the left, and take the black cover off the wheel well. You can then pop your hood, and there is a hole about the size of a penny directly to the right of the clutch fluid (on a 4th gen). You have to have someone stick their hand up in the wheel well, and play with the wire until you can see it (in the small hole). Work the wire until it pops in that hole. wallah. This took me a good 20 minutes to do and is very frustrating, but you dont have to drill a hole
Old 05-23-2001, 08:28 PM
jmax

Cheez, my way sounds a lot easier. And you don't have to play touchy-feely with your best friend in the wheel well.

Old 05-23-2001, 09:05 PM

Amplifier Cable Route

Well, the drilling does sound a lot easier, but frankly, I'm scared to do anything that I can't immediately reverse. Jmax, have you never gotten any leakage from the hole you drilled? Where exactly did you place the hole?
Old 05-24-2001, 05:23 AM
Banned

Actually, I would have drilled a hole if I had a drill that small You would not get much leak if you dont drill the hole much bigger than your wire is.