Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Replaced Bose Unit, now trip computer button doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Replaced Bose Unit, now trip computer button doesn't work

I replaced my '02 stock Bose head unit with an Alpine 9835, my buddy warned me that the trip computer would be stuck on air temperature, and it is. I'd like to know if anyone has figured out how to get the steering wheel trip button working again?

Could it be as simple as connecting power to two wires on the stock harness? Let me know if anyone's had this issue.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

mine always worked....weird...
Old 08-01-2005, 08:05 PM

Hmmm ... That's curious, I don't remember missing anything. Did you install it yourself? Anyone know any details about this?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:40 PM

Simple fix:

This happens with any aftermarket HU in our cars. That trip button is grounded through the stock stereo. When you remove the smallest harness from the back of the stock radio (should have 4 or 5 small wires and that's it), you would normally leave it unplugged back there because it connects to the steering wheel buttons, and there's nothing for it to be hooked up to with the new HU. What you have to do is take the brown wire with a white stripe (from the steering wheel harness), cut it an inch or so back from the jack at the end of the harness, and then ground it somewhere behind the HU. Once that wire is grounded, your trip button will work again just like new.

If you need it, I can send a picture, but it's not the best quality.

-Brian
Old 08-01-2005, 08:44 PM

Thanks!

I remember that small harness. Just ground the brown/white? I'll do that. Probably tonight or tomorrow and let you know. Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by jklobo
Thanks!

I remember that small harness. Just ground the brown/white? I'll do that. Probably tonight or tomorrow and let you know. Thanks again.
Yup, it's that simple. Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:37 PM

I grounded the wire tonight and it works again. Thanks for the help. FYI, I grounded it to the mounting bracket using the lower/right mounting screw.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by jklobo
I grounded the wire tonight and it works again. Thanks for the help. FYI, I grounded it to the mounting bracket using the lower/right mounting screw.
Glad to hear it worked out for ya.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:20 PM
99 SE-L

Originally Posted by TheBigDu
Glad to hear it worked out for ya.
So this would Eliminate buying the PAC adaptor?? or no

Old 08-11-2005, 08:39 PM

^^^^^

Nope, afraid not. The PAC adapter is essentially used to convert the steering wheel controls from a hard-wired to an infrared interface. The PAC adapter comes with a module that you have to program with the aftermarket HU's infrared remote control. There is an infrared transmittor LED hooked up to this module, and that must be aimed in the general direction of the HU. Therefore, when you press a button on the steering wheel audio controls, the PAC module sends out an IR signal to your HU. (Just like using the HU's own remote.)

The PAC adapter, however, does nothing for the brown/white wire that grounds the trip computer. You must ground that separately regardless of whether you get a PAC adapter or not. If you choose not to get a PAC adapter, but you do reground the brown/white wire, the trip button will work, but the other audio buttons still won't do jack.

Hope that helps.
-Brian
Old 08-12-2005, 10:15 AM

Hey guys so there should be one brown wire with white stripe right? Just in case can you post a pic of how it looks like. Just curious. thanks, cause I need to do the same thing here.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:27 PM
99 SE-L

HEY big Du thanks alot for the informative response...

Old 08-13-2005, 08:19 PM

Shurik, I didn't take any pictures, sorry. I think TheBigDu said he has some. However, you can't miss the wire, it's attached to a small harness with three others. It should be the only harness not connected to anything.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:46 PM

Ok I got it done guys thanks a lot.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by TheBigDu
Simple fix:

This happens with any aftermarket HU in our cars. That trip button is grounded through the stock stereo. When you remove the smallest harness from the back of the stock radio (should have 4 or 5 small wires and that's it), you would normally leave it unplugged back there because it connects to the steering wheel buttons, and there's nothing for it to be hooked up to with the new HU. What you have to do is take the brown wire with a white stripe (from the steering wheel harness), cut it an inch or so back from the jack at the end of the harness, and then ground it somewhere behind the HU. Once that wire is grounded, your trip button will work again just like new.

If you need it, I can send a picture, but it's not the best quality.

-Brian

Brian can you send me pictures?? my mail ihor_usa@yahoo.com thanks!!)))
Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 PM

i am just glad that i stumbled on this thread i replace my head unit and i was shocked to find the trip computer dead.. glad that it was an easy fix. thanks guys
Old 09-13-2012, 12:39 PM

Kicking myself in the ****...

I've had my Maxima since '06 and been a member of the wonderful maxima.org since '08. I replaced my factory head unit sometime in either '08 or '09 and I've been missing my Trip Computer ever since. The "SEARCH" feature is a magical thing. Can't believe I didn't think to look for this before. I just assumed that the audio controls and trip computer were all the same fix via the PAC-SWI Interface. I'll be yanking my H/U out this afternoon! Thanks for the easy fix!
Old 09-15-2012, 07:07 AM

Not that I doubted these guys but any newbies (newer than me anyway) out there, it works like a charm! Tough finding a spot back in there that will provide a good ground, I suggest just jumping it into the ground for your new H/U like others have suggested, much easier and quicker.