Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

12" Kicker L5 or 12" RE SE?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Banned

12" Kicker L5 or 12" RE SE?

Right now I have a 12" RE SE sub hooked to an alpine amp running around 600w rms. I was contemplating switching subs to something just as loud but a little more accurate. The RE is not bad at all, but I know there's gotta be something better out there. One sub I think has a pretty good reputation is the kicker L5, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced either of these and could aid me in my decision. thanks
Old 08-11-2005, 10:11 PM
tastey wheat

how about an RE XXX, or MT series? I don't think the L5 or 7 would be louder than either of these. not to mention they're square, less SQ man...
Old 08-11-2005, 10:22 PM

how much more rms can the Re SE handle? if not do you have a ported box? i mean the l7 is loud but nothing compared to an RE sub bro, i cant beleve you have an RE Sub and what to downgrade to kiciker??
Old 08-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Banned

well i was just wondering....thanks for getting the stupidity out of me. And the reason I don't want an XXX or MT is because then I'd need to upgrade my amp and I'd rather not spend that money
Old 08-12-2005, 09:20 PM

owned a 10" RE SE as well as a 12" RE SE

great subs for the money...get pretty loud and their SQ is decent

they claim to handle 600 watts continous...but they can take more than that (about 1000 with the gains properly set)

as far as the Kicker L7...I owned a 12L7...they are SPL subs...one note wonders with no SQ

go for the RE SE....and if your budget allows...try the SX

youll be happy
Old 08-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The Sound Splinter RL-p12 is a nice sub. That 600 watts would be just right for it.

Here is a link from a thread just around this one .
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=422730
Old 08-15-2005, 02:54 PM

SQ is based on how the driver is installed...the L7 has won waaaay more SQ comps than any RE driver to date. But installation is key on how you want it to perform. They are far more, than one note wonders....
Old 08-15-2005, 03:19 PM

For accuracy, I dig the L5 small sealed vs the L7 myself....
Vs the RE SE, obviously the square design would outdisplace it, but I'd think the RE SE is a better candidate VS the Comp VR

But Tracy is right, the right enclosure makes or breaks the the driver...
Old 08-15-2005, 03:43 PM

my vote goes for the RL-p as well. pretty good sq, given it's in a proper enclosure.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Im izz sexay

My vote is the Kicker L5. I have two of them and they are loud and accurate. SQ beats my friends old Alpine type R's. And they are louder. I run mine in a sealed box with a Legacy LA2070 powering them @ 2400 watts in a 2 OHM configuration.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:42 PM

buy a 15" avalanche from kpr10is and be amazed on that power you have.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:29 PM

kevin doesn't want his ava??
Old 08-21-2005, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Polecat
SQ is based on how the driver is installed...the L7 has won waaaay more SQ comps than any RE driver to date. But installation is key on how you want it to perform. They are far more, than one note wonders....

fair enough

I really want to see these L7 SQ vehicles. Im not doubting you, Im just curious on how everything is setup
Old 08-21-2005, 11:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I come from an audio forum and I was suggest this site by a friend because I was thikning about purchasing a Maxima for mysefl as a second car. however I just couldnt hlep but to dive in and notice this ridiculous post about the Kicker square subs SQ. From many personal listening experiances sqaures sub are anything but SQ.These listenings are in show cars systems, so installation was better than average. They are loud as could be, no denying. I have no use for them, you might as well use them to build as house with. A square cone is not balanced like a circular cone is. A circular cone is balanced on just about every area of the cone. The power is well spread out. The square may have more cone area, but is not as well spread out, the corners are the last to be pushed out as teh dustcap moves. And as far as SQ cars goes? The only Kicker cars I have ever seen for IASCA was a 96 red ford probe yeas ago, with ZR amps(great amps) and using 3 Kicker SOLO BARIC round subs(decent sounding subs) and a 93 RX7 with 6 kicker ROUND subs. I am too very curious to see where these SQ comp car are that are using the sqaure subs. Not trying to call you out man, but Im incline to think that you might work for Kicker being from Stillwater, OK. And if you do the way you down RE is pretty unprofessional. Sound very Kicker favored. But to me I have no use for them, they are one note wonders, and they do it well. Save your money get an avalanche, you wont feel stupid listening to those. And I suggest going to car audio forums to see what people are really saying about them. But I doubt I will ever see one in an IASCA, USAC, MECA sq comp. So please conger up these SQ vehicles. Im very curious.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:47 AM

umm...he does work for kicker...
Old 08-21-2005, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
umm...he does work for kicker...
you beat me to it...if you are on audio forums you should recognize his sn...
Old 08-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by slickrick
you beat me to it...if you are on audio forums you should recognize his sn...
I have never seen the guy before on any forums unless hes under a different name. So if he works for Kicker, I can just say unprofessional.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:21 PM

well either way you recommended an avalanche so i like you.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by skylar112
I come from an audio forum and I was suggest this site by a friend because I was thikning about purchasing a Maxima for mysefl as a second car. however I just couldnt hlep but to dive in and notice this ridiculous post about the Kicker square subs SQ. From many personal listening experiances sqaures sub are anything but SQ.These listenings are in show cars systems, so installation was better than average. They are loud as could be, no denying. I have no use for them, you might as well use them to build as house with. A square cone is not balanced like a circular cone is. A circular cone is balanced on just about every area of the cone. The power is well spread out. The square may have more cone area, but is not as well spread out, the corners are the last to be pushed out as teh dustcap moves. And as far as SQ cars goes? The only Kicker cars I have ever seen for IASCA was a 96 red ford probe yeas ago, with ZR amps(great amps) and using 3 Kicker SOLO BARIC round subs(decent sounding subs) and a 93 RX7 with 6 kicker ROUND subs. I am too very curious to see where these SQ comp car are that are using the sqaure subs. Not trying to call you out man, but Im incline to think that you might work for Kicker being from Stillwater, OK. And if you do the way you down RE is pretty unprofessional. Sound very Kicker favored. But to me I have no use for them, they are one note wonders, and they do it well. Save your money get an avalanche, you wont feel stupid listening to those. And I suggest going to car audio forums to see what people are really saying about them. But I doubt I will ever see one in an IASCA, USAC, MECA sq comp. So please conger up these SQ vehicles. Im very curious.
Yes, I actually work for Kicker, and have for 17 years. To say it's 'un-professional, is not, more like factual. RE, and yes, i know the owner and VP of RE, and it's a great driver. I will not argue that point. But to say the RE posted by someone that the RE is a much better SQ driver, is based on a driver by paper, not installation.
In the 17 years I have been here, I have been traveling with the KCG, known as Kicker Competition Group since the early 90's, founded by Greg Davis, also was on the IASCA panel.
If you want to see these cars, you can look up many names starting with:

Gary Biggs
Cory Himel
Frank Rougoue
Rob Rice
Mary Nash

the two you mention is Markey Dietrich, and can't relally remember the other...time has slipped.
But the L7 was once noted in 2000 when they first came out that the L7 would make 'square' sound waves, corners were weak, etc, etc...wlell, after 5+ years of doing them, and winning SPL and SQ awards, we can only hope those rumors were put to rest...guess not.

As far as being around forums, I have been doing this one a very short time, but you can research this same user name on

Sounddomain (was a moderator there)
Car Audio Froum
Termpro
Car Audio.com
Car Autosound

now if you prefer a different sound, there are many choices in drivers, and shapes.If you also do a research on the L7, it has a patent on the rear brace, that gives the L7 a linear movement.Now thye may not have as much Xmax as other drivers, but the have plenty potential none the less. See test done by Ben Milne at Ed.
http://www.icixsound.com/vb/article.php?a=13

all test were done by the enclosure, chosen by the manufacture, same car, same power.
And after 5 plus years selling them, they are far from one note wonders...they do quite well, if installed the way the user intends them, to be played.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:33 PM

Based on paper?

What are you talking about?

I had the L7 in enclosures according to Kicker's specs. I tried both sealed and ported.
I also had the opportunity to test out the RE SE 10" and RE SE 12" as well as the 15" RE SX (which I currently own). There is no way the L7 has better SQ than these subwoofers. These opinions are based upon not only myself, but audio experts as well.

The only way to make the L7 sound good would be for it to blend in with the front stage.....in fact this is true with any subwoofer

But the L7 requires alot of tuning....which shouldnt be necessary (back then I didnt have access to a parametric EQ)

A true SQ sub would sound great with little or no tuning at all IMO.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:27 PM

i dont think anyone is calling the L7 an sq sub. it has shown to win BOTH spl and sq comps.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hmm, well I see that you are kicker righteous, and self righteous. Im sure you know your stuff, and have been around for a while. Im glad for you. BTW the cars you mention couldnt be kicker sponsered would they? Oh ok I thought they were. Factual yes, RE hasnt been around as much, so only time will tell and I will apoligize because I thought you were saying that L7s has better SQ than RE. Which I read again you were not. But the truth is there are so much other better sounding equipment for the money. And in a true SQ system the subs are the least important really, I guess you can make many good systems sound good with mediocre subs, I have seen it. And Im sure it can be done with you L7s, I have seen weirder things happen. Anything is possible. While I have always like kicker amps, and the VRs and ROUND solobarics back in teh days. I find the square subs to be rather tasteless. I rate it up there with a barbwired clamp on my gentials. Because I have never heard any of them that I liked. Maybe I have to listen to these rare SQ competitors cars. Install is the most important part of the equation but without tons of tuning I doubt those peaky subs are well tamed. I have been into SQ systems for about 10 years now, I know a little something. Kicker makes great products, but I thikn their sqaure subs cater to the SPL crowd more. And every company has competitors, who doesnt want free stuff.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:56 AM

BTW the cars you mention couldnt be kicker sponsered would they? Oh ok I thought they were.
some are, some are not....just installed by the right people that know what they are doing

I will apoligize because I thought you were saying that L7s has better SQ than RE. Which I read again you were not.
good that you re-read, I think you just automatically put up a wall and assumed I did, but we all know what they mean, when we say 'assume'..

But the truth is there are so much other better sounding equipment for the money.
never stated the L7 was the end of all woofers....there is good drivers, adn there is trash...same in any products..

And in a true SQ system the subs are the least important really, I guess you can make many good systems sound good with mediocre subs, I have seen it.
true, to a point, but you never see Wal-Mart brand woofers and mids in competition cars...if so, why do most you upper speakers like IDmax, RF, Focals, MTX, Kicker, Pioneer, Ecipse,etc,etc

While I have always like kicker amps, and the VRs and ROUND solobarics back in teh days.
and we appreciate that

I find the square subs to be rather tasteless.
and your entitled to your opinion, many prefer another

I rate it up there with a barbwired clamp on my gentials.
whatever floats your boat....

Because I have never heard any of them that I liked. Maybe I have to listen to these rare SQ competitors cars.
USACI Finals is right around the corner, also with IASCA...Kansas City...

Install is the most important part of the equation but without tons of tuning I doubt those peaky subs are well tamed.
go to finals and look for a car without equalization...

I have been into SQ systems for about 10 years now, I know a little something.
then maybe you've heard of the people mentioned.

Kicker makes great products, but I thikn their sqaure subs cater to the SPL crowd more.
true to a point, if you actually figure the SPL crowd compared to the SQ crowd, not like it was in the early 90's...you'd have about 20-1 ratio, leaning towards SPL

And every company has competitors, who doesnt want free stuff.
right now we have a team of less that 10 people, SPL and SQ....that equates to what, a .00000000000000000000000000001% world ratio?
Find any consumer that doesn't want free product, no matter what brand. I think you yourself, can admit, if you have been doing this for 10+ years, have thought you'd love to be sponsored. You can admit it...I bet you have.

But I'm not here to argue, or try to shove my point down yours, or anyone elses throat. I am here, if anyone has Kicker questions, I can be proactive and help if I can.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:04 AM

I have owned several Kicker subs. Including XBL, Comps, Round Solobarics and Square Solobarics. I personally would rather spend my money with a company with a tried and true time tested reputation such as Kicker. I have only been exposed to the HYPE everyone is creating behind RE. I go to as many local(in FL) shows as I can and have only seen a hand full of RE competition vehicles. All of which were SPL oriented. I have sat in Kicker sponsored SQ cars utilizing Square Solobaric subs and was extremely impressed with the sound. Still waiting for the sq RE vehicles. If they ever do come. I am not trying to down any of RE's products, just noting I have never seen an all RE SQ vehicle EVER. I think that speaks volumes about the drivers capabilities. Competitors would use them for SQ if they worked in that application. JMO. Just based upon what I have seen and heard, I would choose Kicker.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by filtor1
I have owned several Kicker subs. Including XBL, Comps, Round Solobarics and Square Solobarics.
buahaha...XPL's and Solo D's were the bomb back in day...
Old 08-23-2005, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
kevin doesn't want his ava??
not to get off topic, but is he really selling it?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
yea, loved the D series myself...keep an eye out for 2006 products
Old 08-23-2005, 11:16 AM

yea, loved the D series myself...keep an eye out for 2006 products
no way!?!?
Old 08-23-2005, 12:03 PM

some new and cool stuff...
Old 08-23-2005, 12:46 PM

Can't wait to see the new Kicker stuff.

I actually just parted with some of my older Kicker gear. I sold my ZR240 and Solobaric (S12D) last week. They went to a good home though .
Old 08-23-2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
Can't wait to see the new Kicker stuff.

I actually just parted with some of my older Kicker gear. I sold my ZR240 and Solobaric (S12D) last week. They went to a good home though .
wow...no kidding...the ZR's are/were some awesome A/B amps
Old 08-23-2005, 02:00 PM

I agree .

My Kicker ZX460 finally started acting up on me. The rear channels would cut out, due to me and the module port not getting along. I bought that thing back in 97 or so. I believe I got more than my money's worth out of it. I sold that one 2 weeks ago. The front channels worked flawlesly though, and produced 214 watts RMS when bridged. I also just recently took out my Resolution Components (the really old ones not the RS ones), one of the ND25 tweeters was cutting out on me (I am going to give them another shot in case the connection were loose). Man these things lasted a good while as well. So I then threw in my really old Polk DB's which still sound nice . Man I have some old gear .

I just recently purchased some MTX amps. I got a really good deal on them so I bought a pair (4ch. and a mono one). I will sure keep and eye out for Kicker's new stuff for when I get my new vehicle.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:03 PM

cool...man, you had the old resolutions....loved those as well...
Yea, right close to CES, we should have all the new stuff posted on the site.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:17 PM

Another Kicker fan...

Had to chime in on this...

I am a Kicker fan, just replaced my two 10" Comp 10a's in a bandpass enclosure for a single 2005 model 10" L5 in a ported enclosure (tuned to 32-34Hz) and I absolutely LOVE it! I just hooked it up to a Profile California 600MSX mono amp @ 410W RMS @ 2-Ohms and boy does that thing rumble young man, RUMBLE!!!!! I listen to a lot of R&B, Rap, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Latin, Reggae/Dancehall & Classical music and this new setup (coupled with my new Infinity Kappa/Reference coaxials) sound better than ANYTHING I've had in the past, so I'm very pleased with Kicker subs. The two C10a's have lasted me for about 12 years or so, and they're still doing the job - I just wanted more trunk space in my latest Max, so I went with the smaller enclosure, but you'd never know it by the way it sounds back there... I'd recommend Kicker subs to anybody that listens to the same kind of music that I do... You won't be disappointed and they'll kick a$$ for years to come!!!

BTW - I built a false floor for my amps, and just padded the space between the trunk floor and my false floor with some folded-over carpet padding that a neighbor was throwing away - no rattles in my trunk whatsoever...
Old 08-23-2005, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
The three solo 12's are still playing very nicely in a regular cab Ram. 5 yrs and still bumpin.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:34 AM

man if the Solod's make a vintage return...I have a zr360 waiting for some love..
Old 08-24-2005, 09:58 AM

They worked perfect in .88cf. IMO. I think he may be upgrading to the 06 L7's. I may buy one or two back and put them in my F150.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:18 AM

thanks for the kind words guys, we really do appreciate the loyalty and support...I can't let the cat out of the bag, but just stay 'tuned' is all I can say
Old 08-24-2005, 04:22 PM

Will do .

I have a zr360 waiting for some love..
I had one of those too. Made a good more amount of power than the advertised 360 watts.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:32 PM

thanks for the kind words guys, we really do appreciate the loyalty and support...I can't let the cat out of the bag, but just stay 'tuned' is all I can say
I can't wait to see a new demo vehicle at the next Spring Break Nationals in Daytona. I will def stay tuned.....