Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Audiobahn

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 07:27 AM
MaximaDriver

Audiobahn

anyone heard about that speakers??
Old 08-20-2005, 09:32 AM

i personally don't like them. i've heard them in a friend's jetta...not impressed. midrange was too overpowering, and the highs were too sharp. it just wasn't balanced like other good speakers.

stay away imo.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Back from Hibernation

hahah stay away...stay far far away. Listen with your ears, not your eyes!
Old 08-20-2005, 10:28 AM
sunten1

Originally Posted by BBOYSTEVIE
hahah stay away...stay far far away. Listen with your ears, not your eyes!

LOL

Old 08-20-2005, 10:31 AM
MaximaDriver

ok thanks.
how about kenwood??
Old 08-20-2005, 10:38 AM
sunten1

I had a bad experience with a Kenwood HU...this is what i noticed with kenwood. All they do is reach out and go with the top of the line technology but it has no quality and very unrealiable. This was just with my experice with a HU so ya..hopefully other people will chime in and help out...

Old 08-20-2005, 11:29 AM

Kenwood has gone down hill over the years, along with Audiobahn. New companies are easily coming out ahead of them.

If you're looking for Subs and Amps... go with Companies like Memphis (my personal favorite), MTX, Kicker, Adire, Rockford Fosgate, Lightning Audio (which has seem to moved their way past Kenwood stuff) Polk, Xtant, Illusion Audio.

Those are just a few, each works well within a certain range. Some even expand into different areas. Like Memphis has products that are awesome for sharp quick bass, to stuff that will pound your head till you can't see straight.

The companies of old Jensen, Sony, Kenwood just really don't have that great of a hold on the market anymore.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:37 AM

look into boston acoustics
Old 08-20-2005, 11:53 AM
MaximaDriver

ok. so you saying rockford fosgate. How its gonna play with my bose radio. do i need newone too??
Old 08-20-2005, 02:05 PM

You don't need a new H/U. You'll just use a LOC (Line Out Converter) that splices into your speaker wires.

The biggest questions here before you decide on which brand you want... is what YOU want? A salesman will sell you anything, but that doesn't mean the equipment you buy will be what you're looking for.

These are the main questions before you start.

What type of Music do I listen to?

How loud do I want it to be ( bass fill in, thump on demand, rattle everything in a 2 block radius)?

What's my Budget?

These 3 questions will help determine where to begin for the type of box first (Sealed, Vented, Bandpass). Then to your subs (certain subs work best in ceratin boxes). Your subs will determine what size amp you'll need (Certain Subs require so much power to run). Then, you narrow down to the brands, and models based upon your budget.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by WielkiWaac
anyone heard about that speakers??
I have never heard Audiobahn speakers, but like bboystevie said, listen with your ears. Speakers are the most important investment for your system, so choose wisely.

And I'm not sure how a speaker discussion turned into a head unit discussion? Anyway, for someone to make a blanket statement such as Kenwood is slipping over the years clearly sounds like a personal opinion rather than based on any sort of facts. My local stereo shop, whose owner I am acquainted with, just picked up the Kenwood line and he has nothing but good things to say about the company and their products - hence the reason he went with them. I trust his ability to research and I trust him to tell me the truth.

Interestingly enough, it's Eclipse that I have a beef with right now. I won't say that Eclipse is slipping, but it's interesting to note that the last two CD8454s that I've owned (both brand new) have had the EXACT same problem: the motorized face gets stuck in the down position and the player locks up so that it doesn't accept any commands at all. You have to reset the thing or turn the car off and back on again to get it to work. I'm fighting with them now to get it fixed or replaced. Also, years ago when I purchasaed my 5303R I had to get a new unit only after a month or so because of power supply issues. Also, when I used to own a CD5383 (I think that was the model number) it sounded like absolute butt.

My point is, any company can produce some lemons. Do I think Eclipse is a poor product? Nope. However, out of all the CD players I've owned I've had more warranty issues (and bugs) with Eclipse than any other. This includes Sony, Alpine, Nakamichi and Pioneer.

I realize the org is very Eclipse friendly, but sometimes this leads to a bias that is simply more erroneous than based on fact...hence the bashing.

Just my .02.

Tony
Old 08-20-2005, 03:13 PM

I haven't seen Kenwood come out with anything off the wall in a LONG time. And even though staying with what works can be good. There has to be change to make it in today's market.

And my statement about Kenwood is toward their amp, and subwoofer line. Their deck and speaker line has been coming out with some really good stuff.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by kcidmil
I haven't seen Kenwood come out with anything off the wall in a LONG time. And even though staying with what works can be good. There has to be change to make it in today's market.

And my statement about Kenwood is toward their amp, and subwoofer line. Their deck and speaker line has been coming out with some really good stuff.
x2 There new HU are actually very,very good.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:41 AM
MaximaDriver

You don't need a new H/U. You'll just use a LOC (Line Out Converter) that splices into your speaker wires.

The biggest questions here before you decide on which brand you want... is what YOU want? A salesman will sell you anything, but that doesn't mean the equipment you buy will be what you're looking for.

These are the main questions before you start.

What type of Music do I listen to?

How loud do I want it to be ( bass fill in, thump on demand, rattle everything in a 2 block radius)?

What's my Budget?

These 3 questions will help determine where to begin for the type of box first (Sealed, Vented, Bandpass). Then to your subs (certain subs work best in ceratin boxes). Your subs will determine what size amp you'll need (Certain Subs require so much power to run). Then, you narrow down to the brands, and models based upon your budget.
1. I listen german techno/dance and rap music.

2. What amp i can get for 200 - 300$??

3. How loud?? Hmmm good question. I just dont wanna get ticket. but i want to have deep base
Old 08-21-2005, 07:33 AM

Hmm... I will answer these a little out of order, and highlight the important areas.

1.) Well since you listen to techno and rap... I think a vented box would be your best bet. A vented box that is tuned just right, along with the right equipment will still sound punchy and crisp for the beats in techno. But will still give a nice boom for the rap.

3.) To keep from getting a ticket is easy, just requires a lot of self control. My situation is harder because I live on a military installation, and they're really **** about that. But... I think a nice quality 10" subwoofer, with the perfect D-Class amp will be perfect. Or, you could use a 12" sub.

2.) Your budget is a small problem. If you're really strict on this, ebay is your friend. But anyone here will tell you, spend the money up front. It will save you a headache later on trying to upgrade, or replace components of your system. Save up if you have to.

Well I'm going to list some components... and try to be fair to other companies as much as I can.

- Memphis M-Class subwoofer, with a MC500D (500 watt) amp.
My own personal experience (I have 4 12"s in my truck in a vented box) has shown that even in a vented enclosure, this combination works well with any music. I can play rock, rap, techno, oldies (hotel California sounds awesome) They hit crisp when told to, and will boom on demand. This setup will run you though. A M-Class 12" is around $130, the amp is around $450.

- MTX promo package http://www.cardomain.com/shoplist~b~...ional+Packages Either of these packages (10" or 12") should get you right where you want. The price is hard to beat right now as well. As they are on sale at sounddomain for $190 & $200 for 10" and 12" respectively.

- RF Punch Stage 1 packages. http://www.cardomain.com/shoplist~b~...ional+Packages These are on sale as well. I would not recommend if I haven't heard them myself. A coworker has this setup, and they sound nice in a vented box. They do not hit as crisp as the Memphis M-Class. But when in a trunk, you won't notice.

- Illusion Audio (PM pearl96max... aka DON for more info & prices) If you still want a lot of space, check out this company. here's the website, www.illusionaudio.com

- Adire Audio I have no experience with these subs. I do know that there a few on this forum that follow them like I do Memphis. I'm not a big fan of paper pulp cones, but they say the sound is more natural. I can't remember the site off hand, but I'm sure someone will come along with it.

Like I stated before, if your budget is that low, check out sounddomain's open box area.
http://www.cardomain.com/shoptype/Open+Box.
A lot of these are products that weren't sent back because the purchaser changed their mind. OR their is a slight cosmetic blemish on the product. To be quite honest, if you're just using these for your own listening pleasure. Then there's no need to worry about blemishes. There's a 30 day money back guarantee on all products. So if you install and it doesn't work, just send it back.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:01 AM
MaximaDriver

oh $hit. you know a lot about sound systems
thanks for that info.
BWT. i know what capacitor is, but why do people use it in audio systems??
Old 08-21-2005, 09:04 AM
MaximaDriver

in addition my friend gave me sub box for free.
2x12"
Old 08-21-2005, 09:59 AM

some people use them for the wrong reason. They see their lights dimming because of their system, and they go out to buy a cap. A BIG waste, when the Big 3 upgrade is what they need. This upgrade is just a wiring upgrade for the ground and alternator wiring. Allowing the alternator to charge the battery more quickly.

But they do have their uses when they are needed. When you have a system that uses a lot of power, say 2 1000 watt amps or more. You need a cap to help push some power out when the bass gets intense. Basicly, it's just a little more ummphh to help the charging system.

But they also have their downside. After that cap has been used up, the alternator now has to charge both the battery and cap, creating a strain on the system. I find it a lot better just to upgrade the alternator with a High output one.

Thanks for compliment. I've been doing installs for over 7 years now. But my knowledge is somewhat limited.

My main area is getting people what they want, and installing it for them. A more technical salesman so to speak. I'm also very good at tuning systems for people. Don (pearl96max) knows A LOT. Of course, he's dealing with it on a more day to day basis than me.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tony Fernandes
Anyway, for someone to make a blanket statement such as Kenwood is slipping over the years clearly sounds like a personal opinion rather than based on any sort of facts.
You know... a good blanket statement would be the following

"It's pointless in getting any aftermarket stereo equipment. Seeing as how no matter which product you get, it will eventually just get so old and break. Making that money you just spent a complete waste." (take that Adire audio fans) j/k

And one can even take it further

"What is the point of getting a car anyway? It loses it's value, breaks down, and spends your money. Why not just use our legs as intended? Buying a car is the worst decision anyone can do financially."

I will step of the soap box now. Seeing how I just pulled a double standard.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:16 AM

- Adire Audio I have no experience with these subs. I do know that there a few on this forum that follow them like I do Memphis. I'm not a big fan of paper pulp cones, but they say the sound is more natural. I can't remember the site off hand, but I'm sure someone will come along with it.

Their old line of subs were awesome. Since owning a brahma, I've experienced the realm of clean, accurate bass, not just loud. I sent the sub under 500 watts, and it got stupidly loud for a single sub setup. The bass was very punchy with techno and trance....and will literally shake your car apart (screwed up my clock, gas gauge, widen the crack on my windshield, loosen various bolts throughout the car, caused my rear bumper paint to chip off) when the really bassy stuff is played.

But Adire recently redesigned the brahma. I'm not sure how they will perform, but according to Dan Wiggins at Adire...performance should be very similar to the older Brahmas. Currently I have a Sound Splinter RL-p. I'd highly recommend them as well. My 15" was $287 shipped to my door.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:59 PM

nothing wrong with Audiobahn
Old 08-25-2005, 06:43 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

First of all with all the lines that Audiobahn makes and carries, who can tell what is good and what is a waste of money. They have like 11tybillion different speakers, and subs, alot of flashy looking stuff that probably doesnt perform nearly as well as 1/2 the quality products that cost the same or even less. Why waste you're money when you can start off with something thats better, that you won't kick yourself for getting.