Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Some newbie subwoofer questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 08:12 AM
ahhh! cliMAX!

Some newbie subwoofer questions

1. How much power does the stock bose system have? This is a remote possibility..but is it possible to add a sub without an amp?

2. What is the max power we can safely get from the stock alternator?

3. Consider this scenario: An enclosure with 2 [300w rms] subwoofers.
Does this mean you need a 300w amp? or a 600w amp? or do you need to support its peak? 1200w?

4. How do you tell if a subwoofer is good? What characteristics do you look at? Just power? Frequency is better if it is lower right?

5. I am going to make my own box, so all I need to get is the sub and an amp.
Can someone recommend some decent quality choices?
How much would I be looking to spend?
All I want is an amp and 2 subs in one enclosure.

I am not the kind of person that plays music so loud the whole block can hear it, but I like to "moderately blast" every once in a while.

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:55 AM

well NEVER go by peak ratings. give us a budget for the subwoofers and the amp and we can help you further. i like the idea of building your own box.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by godlyone
1. How much power does the stock bose system have? This is a remote possibility..but is it possible to add a sub without an amp?

2. What is the max power we can safely get from the stock alternator?

3. Consider this scenario: An enclosure with 2 [300w rms] subwoofers.
Does this mean you need a 300w amp? or a 600w amp? or do you need to support its peak? 1200w?

4. How do you tell if a subwoofer is good? What characteristics do you look at? Just power? Frequency is better if it is lower right?

5. I am going to make my own box, so all I need to get is the sub and an amp.
Can someone recommend some decent quality choices?
How much would I be looking to spend?
All I want is an amp and 2 subs in one enclosure.

I am not the kind of person that plays music so loud the whole block can hear it, but I like to "moderately blast" every once in a while.

Thanks for your help.
#1. Not close to enough. No.

#2. I believe it peaks at 110amps at 5500RPM.

#3. 2 300 watt RMS subwoofers would optimally run well anywhere between 500-700 watts. Don't be concerned with the Peak Wattage a sub can run, especially if you are just building a daily driver system(non-compe***ive), the RMS is fine.

#4. I tell by my ears. The asthetics of a driver are rarely indicators of how it performs. I go by my ears as well as warranty and a companies track record. As far as frequency and any other aspect, look at what your system goals are. What kind of music do you listen to? These answers will help guide you tward a driver you will be happy with.

#5. See #4. Your box choice will have a huge amount of control over the performance of a subwoofer as well as power handling/placement/etc.... Building your own box is a great experience, I highly recommend it if you have some time and the proper tools. Most manufacturers are willing to help you with basic box designs as well. If you can't figure it out, give them a call.

Start looking at how much you are willing to spend. We can all guide you from there along with the above information.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:14 AM

I will always recommend people to call Don after answering these questions and see what he has to offer. He has been a huge help in designing and giving me practical installation techniques that veteran installers do everyday.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:52 PM
ahhh! cliMAX!

Well, I am not sure how much it should cost.

From what I see, 2 good subs can be purchased for less then $ 200?
I am not sure about amp.

I need a price range lol.
By looking at different subs, they range from 80$ for two [audiobahn cardomain special] which are pretty crappy
to really expensive JLs

is kicker a mediocre company?

Bring the recommendations on!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:29 PM

Well, I am not sure how much it should cost.

From what I see, 2 good subs can be purchased for less then $ 200?
I am not sure about amp.

I need a price range lol.
By looking at different subs, they range from 80$ for two [audiobahn cardomain special] which are pretty crappy
to really expensive JLs

is kicker a mediocre company?

Bring the recommendations on!
Kicker is a great company. I have owned many of thier products in the past and would recommend them as a middle of the road option as far as budget is concerned. If you want to move into a higher price range,I have always been impressed with Rainbow mids and highs. You will pay a bit more, but IMO they are worth it. Shoot for the SLC line, good price/performance. Along the same range for subs, I am very partial to Diamond Audio TDX/D9 series. This is the route I have gone with my recent system and could not be more pleased.

There are great lower budget companies out there. CDT makes great components for the money. I personally think they are very warm, which I prefer. Prices will vary from shop to shop. Give Don a call at Unexpected Creations. He carries many product lines to meet your need.

The biggest issue with us suggesting products is that what sounds good to me may not to you. People have varying tastes for the way they enjoy music. For instance, MB Quart is known for thier "bright" tweeters. These would not have worked for me as I enjoy a more warm sound.

Some more companies to look at are of coarse Diamond Audio, Arc Audio, Rainbow, Illusion Audio, Image Dynamics, and there are a ton more out there. I would personally stay away from Audiobahn and similarly priced products. Remeber you will always get what you pay for. So how much you have is an important piece of the puzzle and is why we ask it so much.

Remeber to close your eyes and let your ears be the judge. This will be your best approach. Demo as many products as you can before buying.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:08 PM
ahhh! cliMAX!

What do you think of JL? is the price justifiable?
Old 08-23-2005, 09:31 PM

What do you think of JL? is the price justifiable?

i have a 12 inch W3v2, very good sub, i think the price tag is a little much compared to some of the other brands out there, JL has awesome products, just they are too expensive, if you want JL and not something ungodly expensive, the W3v2 is awesome, i payed about $213 for mine, only 200rms and people are like, good lord what do you have?? then i just smile, lol. As far as quality goes it produces very clean sound IMO, i'm a fanatic about clean sounding music, i hate distortion even the littlest bit. this sub can play anything ranging from trillville to linkinpark to all-american rejects (even country has a lotta bass!!!!) i've yet to be dissappointed by this sub
Old 08-23-2005, 09:43 PM
ahhh! cliMAX!

ghostridden, the sub looks good and sounds good from the specs.

I found one on ebay.. brand new, $179

Does someone on the org have a stereo store? Don?
How would I contact him?

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:45 PM

PM pearl96max...
Old 08-24-2005, 06:33 AM

ghostridden, the sub looks good and sounds good from the specs.

I found one on ebay.. brand new, $179

Does someone on the org have a stereo store? Don?
How would I contact him?

Thanks.

stay away from ebay, don't buy electronic stuff on there, no warrenty, go to a authorized dealer, pay just a little bit more for whatever you get and you'll have a warrenty