Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Pioneer AVIC-N1 or Pioneer AVIC-D1

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 02:14 PM

Pioneer AVIC-N1 or Pioneer AVIC-D1

I'm looking for a navi system and I'm down to these two options the AVIC-N1 and D1. I know the differences between them and the fact one plays dvd's and the other doesn't.

I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is when it comes down to the in-dash LCD screens and the motorized flip out one.

-has anyone had problems with the motor breaking or would it be recommended to get the in dash LCD. I'm just concern ppl make jack my car when they see the lcd
Old 09-06-2005, 03:52 PM

I had the AVIC-N1 for a year and it has been good to me..... Highly recommended. as for the D1 Never used it so I don't have a clue about it. The motor have always been good, the GPS navg is accurate.. easy to process...
Old 09-06-2005, 07:01 PM

Personal preference between flip out and double din. Personally Id get a double din.

Id be worried if I was in NYC too, which is why you should get a DEI alarm if you dont already have one.

-Kevin
Old 09-07-2005, 03:13 PM
KH3 by popular demand

The d1 has 2 slots one for trhe dvd nav and another for cds/mp3s, I wonder if on the n1 you can still navigate without the dvd in there? If you have full coverage insurance on the car (and I know it is waaay high in NY) then the head unit should be covered as long as you have the receipt for it. Do whatever your gut tells you, most of the time it is right anyway. As for the motor I have a 7000cd which is probably a good 6 years old+ , no problems with the motor, if there is, it is a relatively cheap fix.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
The d1 has 2 slots one for trhe dvd nav and another for cds/mp3s, I wonder if on the n1 you can still navigate without the dvd in there? If you have full coverage insurance on the car (and I know it is waaay high in NY) then the head unit should be covered as long as you have the receipt for it. Do whatever your gut tells you, most of the time it is right anyway. As for the motor I have a 7000cd which is probably a good 6 years old+ , no problems with the motor, if there is, it is a relatively cheap fix.

Most insurance companies require you to report mods to them.

When I had progressive, the policy stated that up to $1,000 in mods were covered for free.

Geico wanted me to report any mods, and I put the value of my nav system in at $900 (Avic-d1). It did not change my premium!

-Tom

P.S. definitely the avic-D1 for the maxima. (http://www.tomz.org/avictut)

P.P.S. fake face is also a good idea... i have one... not 100% convincing, but enough to keep most people walking right past the car!
Old 09-12-2005, 09:52 PM

hey tomz17

I loved your write up on the install of the D1 install. I must say you did a great job. I actually opted for the N2 system which i dun regret. I decided that having a detachable faceplate was better for my own preference even though with the D1 it would flush better. I would've had to get a dvd receiver to play DVD's also.

Tom, I was wondering if you knew anything about the LED lights behind the manual AC controls b/c I think one of them blew after my N2 install. Half of the AC control lights up at night but not the other
Old 09-13-2005, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by SHouKan
hey tomz17

Tom, I was wondering if you knew anything about the LED lights behind the manual AC controls b/c I think one of them blew after my N2 install. Half of the AC control lights up at night but not the other

Don't know much about those LED's, mine worked fine after the install (even after taking the panel off multiple times). There are two possibilities

#1) You blew the LED's. This probably means that they either burned out (very unlikely) or current somehow ran through them the wrong way. (i don't see how that could have happened unless you managed to plug the panel in the wrong way.

#2) Something isn't plugged in right or some wire is broken. Perhaps one of the plugs/harnesses going into that panel is damaged. Perhaps that wire inside the panel that distributes the current to all the LED's (I assume one has to exist) was broken during the install.

In either case, I would start with a voltmeter and maybe a power source (does anyone know if the LED's run at 12v (seems high) or is it stepped down further?). If you can get at the LED's test each one individually and then test the wiring between them. Look at problems in the harnesses last (as that would turn out to be the worst problem to deal with)

Someone on these forums did a LED replacement writeup (where they replaced the stock LED's with brighter ones). There might be some useful information in that thread.

-Tom.
P.S. I made a fake cover from my old stock-radio face! I didn't put a lot of time into it, so it won't fool a maxima owner (or anyone that stops to inspect it closer), but I think it's enough to keep the casual thief walking.

P.P.S interesting fact.. my turn signals stopped working when that center panel wasn't plugged in (The hazard button is wired into it!).
Old 09-13-2005, 08:14 AM

ok.. cool thanks... Light emitting diodes (LEDs) aren't suppose to burn out that fast from my knowledge. and the fact that only half of it is lighting up makes me think that the harness is plugged in otherwise nothing will light up..

I'm gonna do what you say and see whats up.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah, my clock went out. I haven't gone through the troubleshooting yet. I didn't disconnect it for the install and I checked that the harness is in tight. I'll get around to checking it this weekend.
It sounds like your problem might just be that the harness plug isn't in all the way (power only getting to half of the leds). Pull it back out, then put it in until you hear it snap into place. Try that before you go through all the testing.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:23 PM

yea cool. i'll try that this weekend when I get time off work. My coworker got the same problem too when he installed his Pioneer HU too. feels weird driving at nite though