Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

How To Connect The Pac SWI-X?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 01:55 PM

How To Connect The Pac SWI-X?

I was looking at the PAC website and was browsing over the installation instructions, and I am a little confused on exactly how to properly wire it. For those of you who have wired these up, I was hoping someone could do a simple write up on it. Thanks!
Old 10-12-2005, 06:01 PM

Its in the stickys somewhere. But I wouldnt waste my time or my $50 personally, with the delay and percentage of times it actually works, since its usually **** about where/what direction its mounted.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When I first got it, I would've agreed with ya, kpr10is. But then I relocated the IR LED to behind the rearview mirror, aimed directly down at the HU's face, and the unit never misses. That being said, you do have to hold the button down for about a half second rather than just tapping it like you did with factory. But you'll get a hang of it quickly, and I really think it's nice to have those controls down there.

Sorry I can't help with the wiring, but I don't have the instructions with me right now. I know it's something about using only two wires, it's really not that bad. Just take another look, and check out that sticky he mentioned.

-Brian
Old 10-13-2005, 08:57 AM

but wouldnt the bass render that location useless?? my whole mirror literally shakes.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
but wouldnt the bass render that location useless?? my whole mirror literally shakes.
Naaa...my mirror shakes, too, but it's not major enough to misallign the signal.

Don't know if you're kidding or not...
Old 10-13-2005, 02:56 PM

no im being very serious considering how sensitive the IR eye is. if my whole mirror moves (not just the mirror part but the whole thing shakes) i feel it would not work properly.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:22 PM

Well, it was really unreliable when I had it in the center console (i.e. it never worked). But since I relocated the eye to behind the rearview, I've had no problems with the signal missing the HU. Like I said, as long as you hold down the button for half a second, it works everytime. Plus, the eye is not attached directly to the mirror, but rather to the arm coming down. I think the mirror itself is the only part that vibrates (on the ball joint).
Old 10-13-2005, 04:15 PM

if any of you guys have an Alpine head unit...peripheral came out with a steering control interface that plugs directly into the back of the deck, so there is no IR eye...pretty sweet! works 100% of the time, and NO LAG. i know they also make one for the pioneer decks, but im not sure if they make more or not...
Old 10-13-2005, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by sodie14
if any of you guys have an Alpine head unit...peripheral came out with a steering control interface that plugs directly into the back of the deck, so there is no IR eye...pretty sweet! works 100% of the time, and NO LAG. i know they also make one for the pioneer decks, but im not sure if they make more or not...
Yeah, but that's only for the Alpine HUs from 2005 and up. I have a 9835, which is from the last model year, and does not have the jack in the back for the remote. Thanks anyway though.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDu
Well, it was really unreliable when I had it in the center console (i.e. it never worked). But since I relocated the eye to behind the rearview, I've had no problems with the signal missing the HU. Like I said, as long as you hold down the button for half a second, it works everytime. Plus, the eye is not attached directly to the mirror, but rather to the arm coming down. I think the mirror itself is the only part that vibrates (on the ball joint).
My IR is hanging down on the floor. I had to pretty much hold it directly in front of the h/u for it to work.

slick, I know what you mean. My window flexes so much right behind the rearview mirror, along with the poor mirror that I am suprised the auto dim works anymore.

Personally I wish I had used that money to burn and heat the house during winter. Much more efficient use of the money IMO.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by sodie14
You have any info on this? I bought a PAC SWI-X, but i'm sure i can pawn it off on a buddy. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2005, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by WxAxGxS
You have any info on this? I bought a PAC SWI-X, but i'm sure i can pawn it off on a buddy. Thanks!
http://www.pac-audio.com/products/swi.htm
Old 10-14-2005, 05:10 PM

If any of you guys have the gxe kit, moving the radio to the lower din makes it easier for the ir to pick up from the pac ir mounted in the console.

Wiring wire, it isn't that hard. I took some 18ga wire (probably overkill) soldered the resistors inline, then bought some wire shrink wrap and took a flame to melt it over the resistors. I then used t-taps to tape the wires from the haress and wire it up. Only mistake I did was run the power wire of the swi-x off of my acc rather than the radio on.

Right now my only complaint on the pac is the fault on nissan's end. When its cold, the buttons change resistances, so until my car is warmed up, the swi-x doesn't work. After that, its dead on. I love it
Old 10-15-2005, 01:33 PM

Thanks for the help. I am gonna give it a try. If I can get it to work most of the time, I guess it would be better than nothing at all. Besides what other alternatives are there?