Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Damn my car sounds like crap now!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 12:30 AM

Well its not like crap but not as good as before.. First of all i have bad engine whine so im going to move the power wire to the other side of the car now. Second all my highs are clipping or distorting even at low volume.. Whats up with that?? What could be causing it?? Bass and mids sound sweet but the clean highs on songs with lots of treble sound awful. All 4 tweeters are clipping and buzzing and sound all crispy... I know they arent fried because before i changed my system around they sounded fine..IT seems like the highs are too overpowered now. So what could it be??

When i changed it all i did was remove one amp and use a different amp for the front speakers and am running lower wattage into each speaker... Any ideas???

Thanks,
Adam
Old 05-31-2001, 07:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The problem is...........
You can't power bose speakers by aftermarket amps...the impedance difference is just too much.
As far as the wires go...you should have ran the power on the left and rca's on the right in the first place, that is one of the car audio basic laws. For distortion follow this method:
1) Turn your cd player all the way up to the level right before it starts distorting and leave it there. Be sure to disable any sort of bass boost and eq's that the head unit has.
2) Turn your front speaker amp gains slowly until it's either very loud or you start to hear distortion. Turn it down a notch or two before the distortion
3) Do the same for rear speakers and subs if you have multiple amps
4) Remember, do no ever turn your head unit's volume past that distortion threshold level
5) Tune the eq's on the head unit to your taste and turn down gains as necessary
Old 05-31-2001, 10:17 AM

Cool, thanks for your help. I realized you should run the power wire on the other side from the signals but i didnt realize the signal was on the left because im using the stock head. I only have front bose speakers too, the rears are infinity but they distort too so i think im going to have to tune it like you discribe. And it used to sound perfect before i messed with it but i went and f'd it up..
Thanks,
Adam
Old 06-01-2001, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
The problem is...........
You can't power bose speakers by aftermarket amps...the impedance difference is just too much.
As far as the wires go...you should have ran the power on the left and rca's on the right in the first place, that is one of the car audio basic laws. For distortion follow this method:
1) Turn your cd player all the way up to the level right before it starts distorting and leave it there. Be sure to disable any sort of bass boost and eq's that the head unit has.
2) Turn your front speaker amp gains slowly until it's either very loud or you start to hear distortion. Turn it down a notch or two before the distortion
3) Do the same for rear speakers and subs if you have multiple amps
4) Remember, do no ever turn your head unit's volume past that distortion threshold level
5) Tune the eq's on the head unit to your taste and turn down gains as necessary
i thot it was bettter to run the rca straight down the middle?