Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

How do I extend the infa-red port on my vcr upto the front of my car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 01:18 AM

Well, yesterday I put a vcr in my trunk but everytime I want to use it, I have to go around to the trunk and turn it on...It is a fairly pricey S-Video with video editing and SVHS capabilities VCR...I would personally rather have this than one of those car VCR's they sell at car stereo shops...it is a JVC and has this little thing i thought was the infared extender called a cable eye...that didn't work at all...is there any way to extend my infared capabilities with this current vcr, or do i have to buy one of the car only vcrs? does anyone know the name of the car only vcr so i can check some prices on ebay or something like that
Old 05-31-2001, 04:05 AM
Ramius83

If oyu take the vcr apart, the infrared sensor is connected by two or three wires. All you have to do is pop out the sensor and feed new wire to it that will reach the front of the car. Very simple. I have done it on a Civic and Accord.

Old 05-31-2001, 07:02 AM
Disco Biscuit

You can also buy an inferred extention. I'll see if I can locate a source for you. They use them alot to put home theater equipment in cabets, out of site. Run the eye to where you want to point the remote, then tape the other end infront of the vcr's eye.
Old 05-31-2001, 07:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Whitemax
You can also buy an inferred extention. I'll see if I can locate a source for you. They use them alot to put home theater equipment in cabets, out of site. Run the eye to where you want to point the remote, then tape the other end infront of the vcr's eye.
I think he tried that and it didn't work
Old 05-31-2001, 09:32 AM

i tried this little thing that came with it called a cable eye...it plugs into the back and i thought it extends the infa red, but i guess i was wrong (i tested it every possible way)...it is possible that the cable eye is broken, but it has just been sitting in a drawer since i bought it

try to locate that infared extender piece that goes in front of the infa red port...i need one that is about 14 feet long (just to be safe)...if that doesn't work, i guess i will take apart the vcr
Old 05-31-2001, 01:05 PM

The "Cable Eye" is more likely than not to turn on and turn a cable box to the correct channel for recording from cable TV. It sends signals out, but it doesn't recieve.
Old 05-31-2001, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Gates
The "Cable Eye" is more likely than not to turn on and turn a cable box to the correct channel for recording from cable TV. It sends signals out, but it doesn't recieve.

What he needs is something made by RECOTON.

Its called "Leap Frog".

It extend IR signals using a receiver/transmitter.
Old 05-31-2001, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by superdesi

What he needs is something made by RECOTON.

Its called "Leap Frog".

It extend IR signals using a receiver/transmitter.
where can i get this? i checked ebay, google.com, buy.com and some other places and they don't have anything...any idea how much it costs? will it allow me to have my vcr in the trunk and just point my remote forward (toward the tv)?
Old 05-31-2001, 11:47 PM

If the Leap Frog you are talking about is wireless, than RadioShack carries the same thing under it's own brand name. It's wireless so it isn't cheap (~$80); maybe the device you're talking about is wired?
Old 06-01-2001, 02:06 AM

alright i went to best buy today and here is what i found

sony makes this huge black block that is supposed to extend your infa red port so you can use a remote from farther away, but you still have to have a line of sight (as with any infa red) so that won't work

i found this other one that has 2 cone shaped things where one has to be inline with the remote and the other has to be inline with the item that has the infa red on it but they can be 24ft apart and they can go through walls etc.

the only problem with this was that each of these 2 little cones has an ac adaptor and i really don't think my little box of power (ac to dc) can take that much power (i already have my ps2 and vcr plugged into it)...both the sony thing and the double cone thing were $50