Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Stereo sounding better than ever!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stereo sounding better than ever!

Sorry I don't have any pics but the installers wouldn't let me in the back and I didn't have my digital anyway. I didn't even plan on what I purchased.

Anyway I went into the local audio store to see if I could find some speaker grills for my 10" woofers in my MTX box.

I got a good price on the grills and started asking the sales guy about Dynamat Extreme spkr kit, just making some small talk. Long story short, the Dynamat Extreme kit was installed on the front door speakers and on the rear deck subs. http://www.dynamat.com/car_speaker_kits.htm

I bought another product called DynaXorb. http://www.dynamat.com/car_dynaxorb.htm
It mounts behind the speaker, against the inside of the out part of the door if that make any sense. This piece doesn't touch the speaker at all. Iinstall was free since they were already working on the door. I had these pieces installed on the front doors.

You can see pick of all the products at http://www.dynamat.com/

Anyhow, the difference is incredible. I would never have believed it if I didn't hear it for my self. The bass is tight and seems to hit deeper and having that kit installed on the rear deck REALLY ELIMINATED the rattle the used to come from the stock subs and my box in the trunk pounding it.

You wanna make a difference to you system, try some of that stuff.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:27 PM

Having some kind of sound deadner is a big plus.

By the way, why wouldn't the installers let you see your car? I don't think its cool to not let you see their work on your car. I have been in shops where the guys are more than happy to show their customers what they are doing.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:35 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Should have gone with Second Skin ...glad to hear it worked out well for you, nonetheless.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:43 PM

Ive been in shops where you cant get farther than the glass window that separates the shop from the showroom. Ridiculous. I have no problem showing customers or them taking pictures, or even watching, its when theyre standing over my shoulder and/or disrupting/slowing down my work that I get pissy.

Glad to hear your deadening worked out well though.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:57 PM

its a little thing called liability *no sarcasm* its a biatch but they are just covering their butts in case sally sue happy comes in and breaks her leg
Old 11-09-2005, 09:40 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

My customers usually sit in the passenger and watch/ask questions. Its all fine with me, I have nothing to hide.

Some of them even tend to help a bit.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:57 PM
Back from Hibernation

Dampening is a must. Didn't look at the dynasorb, but I'm guessing it's serving the function of a deflex pad. I use a deflex pad in my doors also. I don't know it it really exhibited a difference over a buncha layers of mat with more layers of ensolite over it, but it can't hurt.

Yeah, dampening is a MUST. Specially them front doors w/ speakers in them.

Glad you're happy w/ your isntall.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Should have gone with Second Skin ...glad to hear it worked out well for you, nonetheless.

You know I read your post/sticky on sound deadening. It was very good info. I went with the Dynamat only because it was an impulse purchase. $19 a kit for the door kits, $10 a pad to install all four of them. It was one of of those things that I couldn't pass up.

But it's probably the best bang for your buck investment a guy can make.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by BBOYSTEVIE
Dampening is a must. Didn't look at the dynasorb, but I'm guessing it's serving the function of a deflex pad. I use a deflex pad in my doors also. I don't know it it really exhibited a difference over a buncha layers of mat with more layers of ensolite over it, but it can't hurt.

Yeah, dampening is a MUST. Specially them front doors w/ speakers in them.

Glad you're happy w/ your isntall.
Per the Dynamat website:

"Back wave distortion, a common problem with every speaker, occurs when your speaker sends the same sound out the back as it does out the front! If this rear sound wave energy is allowed to bounce back and return to the speaker, it interferes with the speaker’s ability to operate properly causing back-wave speaker distortion. Dynaxorb eliminates back-wave distortion using Sonic Stealth Technology™. Dynaxorb absorbs, diffuses and attenuates the sonic energy directed towards it. Removing back-wave interference from the speaker allows every speaker to produce the full quality potential it was designed for, and delivers all the sound you paid for! "

And since it mounts on the inside of the outside door panel, I think it helps keep that part of the door from rattling as well.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:28 AM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Apollos2
You know I read your post/sticky on sound deadening. It was very good info. I went with the Dynamat only because it was an impulse purchase. $19 a kit for the door kits, $10 a pad to install all four of them. It was one of of those things that I couldn't pass up.

But it's probably the best bang for your buck investment a guy can make.

Ah, those impulse purchases will getcha everytime.

Well, I am glad that you have seen the light with the importance of deadening...very glad to hear that you are happy with your results!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
Having some kind of sound deadner is a big plus.

By the way, why wouldn't the installers let you see your car? I don't think its cool to not let you see their work on your car. I have been in shops where the guys are more than happy to show their customers what they are doing.
First, most shops' insurance regs prevents people from being in install bays. Second, it's annoying. You generally don't know what the installer knows (otherwise you'd be doing the job, not him) and it just makes them nervous. Finally, it slows them down from being more careful than necessary.

Give the guy some space and respect his abilities. That's why you pay him to do the work!
Old 11-10-2005, 08:08 PM

I actually do my own installs, but if a guy has a question or something I think it is a nice gesture. This is as long as he is not a PITA. I understand the whole liability thing, believe me. I work in the medical field.

The last time I actually let a guy have space and respected his abilities I had to redo the whole install. Particularly the wiring, so that is why I do my own stuff (did it before and after this, just felt lazy that time). Live and learn. If I were to take it to a shop now, I know exactly where to go. Those guys by the way are more than happy to show you what they are doing and explain things to you. The next car I buy I plan on letting them do the installation. Getting a little older now, maybe a little lazier too, or just working too darn much .
Old 11-11-2005, 09:36 AM

I'm definitely going to go with the Dynamat in the doors. My rear view seems to vibrate with the least bit of bass. Will the dynamat on the rear deck solve this problem?
Old 11-11-2005, 10:16 AM

Would putting second skin directly behind the speakers be close to using that Dynxorb stuff? I'm also wondering how much second skin you should use per door-do you just put a like a few little squares in your door, or do you cover the whole thing with the stuff?

edit: my buddy used like stick on gutter sealer (like sticky roofing insulation stuff) on his whole Vanagon's panels. I know it was the cheap way to do it, but it seemed to work fairly well on noise and heat.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by KyMan
Would putting second skin directly behind the speakers be close to using that Dynxorb stuff? I'm also wondering how much second skin you should use per door-do you just put a like a few little squares in your door, or do you cover the whole thing with the stuff?

edit: my buddy used like stick on gutter sealer (like sticky roofing insulation stuff) on his whole Vanagon's panels. I know it was the cheap way to do it, but it seemed to work fairly well on noise and heat.

The DynaXorb. http://www.dynamat.com/car_dynaxorb.htm is different than the Dynamat, it is textured or waffled as you can see from the link. I used this behind the speakers in the front door.

http://www.dynamat.com/car_speaker_kits.htm This was all I went with. One square per speaker on the front doors. They sell whole door kits but what I bought only cost $19 and $10 per door to install.

I went with one second kit for the rear deck subs and that really helped. Again you could buy more Dynamat for the rear deck if you have the cash.

As far as the "stick on gutter sealer (like sticky roofing insulation stuff)" goes, my whole set up only cost $120 installed. Not that much for the real thing. I would recommend agains the roofing material.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:59 PM

I'm probably picking up either an Elemental Designs or an Image Dynamics ID 12" sub here next week. If I order the ED then I'll have to buy like 10 feet of their sound deadener (you can't beat $1/sqft).