Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

confused about bose compatibility....how can i add these 2 subs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 06:34 PM

I've searched and read a lot of different stuff about Bose and how its incompatible with certain things and how If you replace one piece of the system you gotta remove it all...
But I keep reading different things....I have a 95 SE with the bose installed...

My friend is gonna give me his amp and 2 12" subs...my question is can I and how do , install this with the factory bose? - without replacing the Head and all the speakers...I can't afford ALL that right now, if ANYTHING maybe a new Head unit..

So what are my possibilities? Is it impossible to have the factory bose with an added amp and 2 subs? If I cant, what do I have to replace to make it work?

Just a new head unit ? Or do I have to get a new head unit, and all new speakers to be able to add this...

I realize the bose system with the 2 subs might not be the best but until I can afford to replace all the components I have to have something...
thanks
Old 06-03-2001, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by mtl95se
I've searched and read a lot of different stuff about Bose and how its incompatible with certain things and how If you replace one piece of the system you gotta remove it all...
But I keep reading different things....I have a 95 SE with the bose installed...

My friend is gonna give me his amp and 2 12" subs...my question is can I and how do , install this with the factory bose? - without replacing the Head and all the speakers...I can't afford ALL that right now, if ANYTHING maybe a new Head unit..

So what are my possibilities? Is it impossible to have the factory bose with an added amp and 2 subs? If I cant, what do I have to replace to make it work?

Just a new head unit ? Or do I have to get a new head unit, and all new speakers to be able to add this...

I realize the bose system with the 2 subs might not be the best but until I can afford to replace all the components I have to have something...
thanks
Yes, it is possible to add 1 amp and 2 subs to your existing bose system.
If your amp has speaker level inputs, then tap into the your speaker outs from either the head unit or the rear deck speakers. I believe in the 95 Maxima, the speakers have some sort of amplification circuit in the housing... make sure you tap into the wires that go directly to the speaker since other wires are most likely 12V.
If your amp doesn't have speaker level inputs, then you need to buy a line converter. Tape into speaker outs (same as above) and connect it to the line converter... then rca cable to amp.
Connect power, ground, remote-on, and of course sub wires and you should be good to go.

The warning about replacing the whole system is given because of the impedence of the bose speakers. I haven't check the impedence but am told that they're rated at 1 Ohm.
That means if you replace the HU with one that is designed to drive 2 or 4 ohm loads, you'll most likely fry the new HU.
Old 06-08-2001, 01:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Go here and look at the PD2 and PD4 interfaces;

http://www.linkmeup.com

DW

Originally posted by mtl95se

thanks