Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Aftermarket he3ad unit with Bose

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2001, 10:35 PM
davis449

I was wondering if anyone has actually just added a head unit to the Bose system, with an adapter of course. I was wondering mainy if the sound coming from the Bose speakers is an inprovement over stock or if it's the same or worse? Bose feeds you all that B.S. about adding an aftermarket head unit seriously degrading sound quality. I just want the low down. Keep in mind I have a 3rd gen Bose system. All opinions are welcome though.

Old 06-05-2001, 04:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah, you can add an aftermarket HU with an adaptor. I don't think it sounds any better, though. I'm not impressed with Bose stuff.
Old 06-05-2001, 07:57 AM
OG and counting...

Originally posted by Micah95GLE
Yeah, you can add an aftermarket HU with an adaptor. I don't think it sounds any better, though. I'm not impressed with Bose stuff.
I am similar to Micah on this issue of Bose. You can get the adapter and play it through the Bose. That is the only safe way outside of ripping the whole thing out.
Old 06-05-2001, 02:28 PM
davis449

I really just wanna know the risks and if the sound is any better or any worse.

Old 06-05-2001, 03:15 PM

So is it safe at all to put any HU into our maximas w/bose system w/o using an adapter?

And if so, what is the correct way to do it?
Old 06-07-2001, 12:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bose Adapter Answer - Better/Worse/Safe?

I used a Bose adapter successfully for years on my 3rd Gen 91SE. Let me answer some questions and observations:

- Is it safe?: Yes

- Does it sound any better than Bose HU?: No better, no worse. Though, I imagine a sound technician with "trained ears" might tell you otherwise.
It really just gives you the freedom to put in any HU you want to. It also is a good trade off price wise, as opposed to having your rewired to accomodate new speakers to go with the new HU.

- Can you do it without an adapter?: Not that I know of. And I wouldn't risk losing the Bose amplified speakers trying to find out.

- Where can I get one?: Funny you should ask. I'm selling one right now on eBay. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1244145024

- Why are you selling yours?: Though I used it successfully, it was still, as I mentioned above, not necessarily a sonic improvement. I came in to some $$'s and have the ability to remove, rewire, re re, the entire system. The difference between the Bose adapter, which I expect to sell somewhere in the $60 - $75 range on eBay, and gutting the system entirely
(about $800 in my case) is significant. And a good enough reason to go with the adapter if you just don't have the kind of money to start from the ground up.

You were a great audience.I hope you enjoyed the show. I'll be here all week.

Respectfully,
Hadman
Old 06-07-2001, 01:12 PM

Hadman...

I installed the Sony CDX-L550X HU into my Maxima w/o using an adapter. The only thing that I noticed is that the volume/sound control/quality is no good.

One notch on the volume **** already places the volume at a decent rate...3-5 Pounds......I can notch it up to 30 on my stereo so obviously we have a problem.

That's the only difference,IMHO, that the adapter makes...
Old 06-07-2001, 05:56 PM

Hmm...

Originally posted by BeatJunky
Hadman...

I installed the Sony CDX-L550X HU into my Maxima w/o using an adapter. The only thing that I noticed is that the volume/sound control/quality is no good.

One notch on the volume **** already places the volume at a decent rate...3-5 Pounds......I can notch it up to 30 on my stereo so obviously we have a problem.

That's the only difference,IMHO, that the adapter makes...
You're a talented and daring man. The thing your lacking though with your setup is the proper line level input. The amps aren't being fed the correct "ohms" and a few things I can't refer to technically. Having done it, I imagine you aren't very happy with the quality.
Old 06-08-2001, 12:13 PM

I'm satisfied and pretty damn impressed at that the Bose speakers can still manage to sound so awesome. These literally pound and I've people come up to me and say...

"Are those speakers stock???"

Not very happy still, but I am pretty damn satisfied. I WILL invest in the wire harness at a later time...

I'm just still impressed that I was able to do the install in the first place...

w00 h000ooooo
Old 06-08-2001, 03:11 PM

That's Great!

I've just never would expect they could get to a "thump" without distortion. Good for you! I still fear for you though, that over time you are going to blow your whole system. Doesn't matter if you have the volume all the way up or down - it's still being fed a input that will overwhelm it eventually. It's like rubbing two sticks together - it will catch fire in time.

Best to you,
Hadman