Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

HU / Video / Navi opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 10:34 AM

HU / Video / Navi opinions

Hey guys just wanted to get some quick opinions...

I am looking to replace a stolen Alpine CDA 9833 and possibly upgrade to a video screen (maybe navi later). I have Sirius and otherwise no other requirements other than 3 preouts and a decent internal EQ and crossover. My budget is about $600. I would like to possibly get a set up that would allow me to upgrade to Navi sometime in the future - but I honestly don't know if that is possible. I LOVE the Eclipses but most are out of my budget right now : - so I am looking for alternatives....

With all that said...I am thinking about the Alpine 9860 w/ a screen (possibly Microvision) Anyone have this setup (Manny?) What are your thoughts? Is an upgrade to navi w/ this screen possible?

What are some other options? (remember i need it to be SAT compatible)

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Got Projectors?

Originally Posted by I30 Boogie
Hey guys just wanted to get some quick opinions...

I am looking to replace a stolen Alpine CDA 9833 and possibly upgrade to a video screen (maybe navi later). I have Sirius and otherwise no other requirements other than 3 preouts and a decent internal EQ and crossover. My budget is about $600. I would like to possibly get a set up that would allow me to upgrade to Navi sometime in the future - but I honestly don't know if that is possible. I LOVE the Eclipses but most are out of my budget right now : - so I am looking for alternatives....

With all that said...I am thinking about the Alpine 9860 w/ a screen (possibly Microvision) Anyone have this setup (Manny?) What are your thoughts? Is an upgrade to navi w/ this screen possible?

What are some other options? (remember i need it to be SAT compatible)

Thanks in advance!
You can get a Kenwood DDX7015 like kingsofsorrow and I have for not much more than $600 on eBay. It's Sirius ready, touch screen, DVD/mp3/cd, has 3 preouts, internal eq and crossovers, and it's navi capable.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:07 PM

John - you have any pics of your install? (I thought you had the JVC? the unit with a 3" screen??) Anyway - email me some pics chadbrown25@hotmail.com

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Got Projectors?

John - you have any pics of your install? (I thought you had the JVC? the unit with a 3" screen??) Anyway - email me some pics chadbrown25@hotmail.com

Thanks!
I'll see if I can't stir up some pics.

But yeah, I did have the JVC but ditched it after I found it had wayyyy too many shortcomings for the price.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by MetaOrbit
I'll see if I can't stir up some pics.

But yeah, I did have the JVC but ditched it after I found it had wayyyy too many shortcomings for the price.
Really?? looked good tho' lol. So how are you liking the Kenwood?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Got Projectors?

I love the Kenwood. I have some minor gripes, but I none great enough that ever make me wish I hadn't bought it. After having added the steering wheel control adapter and sirius tuner I *really* love it. Having the ability to play movies is a huge plus as well. Really, as far as my gripes are concerned, I don't think any other aftermarket unit out there would do better in any of those areas, save for maybe one of the Eclipse AVN units. Anyways, you can kinda see some of my gripes in this thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=432889

Also, I found this one pic of my DDX installed:

And the JVC, while it did look good, was mostly eye-candy. Functionally it was useless. Very user un-friendly. And I hated how thick the faceplate was as well.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:52 PM

wow! lot of gripes there.....hmm...some of those would drive me nuts eventually....especially in light of the ~$700 price tag. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and go Eclipse? Sounds like they are the way to go if you are eventually seeking nav. decisions...decisions...decisions....

Oh John....great looking install...I've got to get that cefiro dash!
Old 12-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Got Projectors?

wow! lot of gripes there.....hmm...some of those would drive me nuts eventually....especially in light of the ~$700 price tag. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and go Eclipse? Sounds like they are the way to go if you are eventually seeking nav. decisions...decisions...decisions....

Oh John....great looking install...I've got to get that cefiro dash!
Thanks.

And as for the gripes, they seem like a lot, but they're really not. Most of those things don't bother you during everyday usage, but for nav, it sounds like Eclipse may be a better solution.

Heck, you might even consider the Pioneer AVIC-D1. Since people have figured out how to defeat the no video while moving function on it you could easily hook up a cheap external DVD player to it to get the movie playback ability. That and you could use XM Navtraffic...
Old 12-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i just boubht a AVIC-D1 last weekend and installed it, i love the headunit and i just bought an xbox for it which im going to hook up.