Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

HU Replacement and Bose Woes

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 08:20 PM
Bacon Lover

HU Replacement and Bose Woes

I just got done reading through the thread about replacing your headunit with something aftermarket, and it just left me confused. I know very little about audio stuff, and my Bose HU is dead and needs to go.

Like I said though, I know nothing of audio...and can't do wiring to save my life. So is there any solution that doesn't require you to splice any wires? (i.e. TRUE plug-and-play) According to studman there is...
Originally Posted by studman
The PAC kit is plug-n-play. It's also tested, tried, and used. And it's cheap on top of that. Oh, and did I mention that you don't have to splice wires.
He says no splicing of wires, yet if I look at the product on ebay there's clearly wires that don't have plugs on the end of them. So what's the deal?

What about the Metra 70-7551? Does that require splicing?

Maybe if I let you know which headunit I plan on using...it's the Pioneer DEH-1300 (getting it for next to nothing). Here's a picture of the back of it so you can see the plugs:

I believe that black plug is 16-pin.

Help me
Old 12-23-2005, 08:42 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Okay do you have the harness for the radio? You need that. It is essential. Then for you're unit you do require the adapter since it has only front rca outputs, unless you want to run you're bose speakers in mono.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:45 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Ps. If you don't have the harness I can probably get you one for like $20 bucks. I think I have one already anyways.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:57 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

Originally Posted by Tatanko
I just got done reading through the thread about replacing your headunit with something aftermarket, and it just left me confused. I know very little about audio stuff, and my Bose HU is dead and needs to go.

Like I said though, I know nothing of audio...and can't do wiring to save my life. So is there any solution that doesn't require you to splice any wires? (i.e. TRUE plug-and-play) According to studman there is...

He says no splicing of wires, yet if I look at the product on ebay there's clearly wires that don't have plugs on the end of them. So what's the deal?

What about the Metra 70-7551? Does that require splicing?

Maybe if I let you know which headunit I plan on using...it's the Pioneer DEH-1300 (getting it for next to nothing). Here's a picture of the back of it so you can see the plugs:

I believe that black plug is 16-pin.

Help me
isnt hard to do but you can easily bypass at the speakers. I have pictures on my website. TYou can directly bypass the power on the bose amps, connect the other two that are speaker wires, and then do the connection behind your radio via the wiring harness.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:09 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by nismos14
Okay do you have the harness for the radio? You need that. It is essential. Then for you're unit you do require the adapter since it has only front rca outputs, unless you want to run you're bose speakers in mono.
I can get the harness for like $7 shipped off ebay. I'll be sure to get it. What kind of adapter?
Originally Posted by Cant_Get_Ryte
isnt hard to do but you can easily bypass at the speakers. I have pictures on my website. TYou can directly bypass the power on the bose amps, connect the other two that are speaker wires, and then do the connection behind your radio via the wiring harness.
None of that made any sense to me Like I said, I'm an audio idiot...gotta put it more simply for me. I also suck at wiring...so I'm looking at the simplest, least work-involved solution here.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:15 PM

if you arent an audio buff or wiring buff you might want to think abuot getting it professionally installed...

..my understanding is that you have to get each BOSE amp bypassed (theres one in each door and some others i believe) or your speakers will blow within volume 10...you definitely need the wiring harness though
Old 12-24-2005, 06:59 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

You can bypass them from behind the unit, but it seems as though you want to use the 1300 to power the bose in which case you just need signal from the headunit to run into the bose amps and they will powerup and play that way.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:02 AM
Bacon Lover

So then what all do I need...and what all does this install entail?

I've never heard of anyone blowing their Bose speakers

In the other thread, studman made it sound like if I got that PAC kit, all I had to do was hook everything up and connect a few wires on the HU side...that I would never need to touch the Bose speakers or amps.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:21 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Yup thats what the pac will allow you to do. Get it, do it. Done. Seriously that'll be the easiest way for you to do it.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:28 AM
Bacon Lover

Yup thats what the pac will allow you to do. Get it, do it. Done. Seriously that'll be the easiest way for you to do it.
Alright. That option still requires me to splice some wires though, right? Oh well, suck it up I guess...

I also tried looking for charts or lists to see which wires go to which wires...so how do I know? I'm assuming that when I get the PAC kit, it'll tell me what each of ITS wires are for...but what about the harness I'll be getting for my headunit? Can anyone tell me where to look up Pioneer information like that?
Old 12-24-2005, 08:33 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

The pac should have instructions to do it all. Otherwise I'm sure there is a master sheet somewhere for our wiring. Probably in the stickies for the audio forum.

As far as the harness for the pioneer, just get the nissan wiring harness from wal-mart for like 10 bucks. Just hook up the power side and don't hook up the speaker outputs from the pioneer harness to the nissan harness.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:37 AM
Bacon Lover

The pac should have instructions to do it all. Otherwise I'm sure there is a master sheet somewhere for our wiring. Probably in the stickies for the audio forum.
Alright, thanks
As far as the harness for the pioneer, just get the nissan wiring harness from wal-mart for like 10 bucks. Just hook up the power side and don't hook up the speaker outputs from the pioneer harness to the nissan harness.
Wait...I'm confused here. What am I doing with the Nissan harness? What exactly am I plugging it into?

ALSO...I've noticed that the harness that plugs into the OEM-1 module from the PAC kit is 18-pin, but the harness made for the Pioneer is 16-pin. I'm assuming this is just because the PAC kit has to take all headunits into account, and that some are 18-pin, correct? So there will just be 2 wires from the OEM-1 I'll ignore and not hook up?
Old 12-24-2005, 08:42 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Scratch the whole get a nissan harness i forgot aboutthe pac Most likely so they can be used for other nissans. Don't worry aboutthem unless someone else with better experience with it can tell you otherwise.... Don.......
Old 12-24-2005, 08:49 AM
Bacon Lover

Scratch the whole get a nissan harness i forgot aboutthe pac Most likely so they can be used for other nissans. Don't worry aboutthem unless someone else with better experience with it can tell you otherwise.... Don.......
So...get the PAC and the Pioneer harness, hook everything up, call it a day?
Old 12-24-2005, 09:38 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

the wires are color coded and labled. i think you can figure it out. bose sux
Old 12-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by JSutter
the wires are color coded and labled. i think you can figure it out. bose sux
Yeah, between diagrams I SHOULD get with the PAC kit and the installation instructions I found on Pioneer's website, it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Now I've noticed that the HU I'm getting has 2 extra outputs on the back of it...could I possibly use these for an amp and sub if I choose to add them later?
Old 12-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Bacon Lover

Anyone have an answer for my last question?
Old 12-24-2005, 05:09 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Ya you can use them for an amp n sub
Old 12-24-2005, 05:24 PM
Bacon Lover

Ya you can use them for an amp n sub
Good, good...

Off-topic: changing your avatar quite a bit today, eh, nismos?
Old 12-24-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

those are most likely rear outs, and possibly switchable to be non fading for use with a sub.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:50 PM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by JSutter
those are most likely rear outs, and possibly switchable to be non fading for use with a sub.
Good...I may add a sub down the road. Not sure what kind, though. I don't need something real high quality, just something to give me that extra bass the Bose lacks. I'd probably just want a single one, and be able to mount it so that I can open up the pass-through in the back and have it face into the cabin. Suggestions?
Old 12-24-2005, 06:29 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Good, good...

Off-topic: changing your avatar quite a bit today, eh, nismos?

Yes Most likely those are not switchable outputs on the 1300. But they will still be fine for sub applications.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Bacon Lover

Thanks

/thread
Old 12-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Black Maxima

I installed the Pioneer 2600 in my Maxima. I don't have BOSE. I did not have to wire/solder a single thing. The guy at CircuitCity gave me two harnesses, so everything was plug and play.

Old 12-25-2005, 08:32 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by Black Maxima
I installed the Pioneer 2600 in my Maxima. I don't have BOSE. I did not have to wire/solder a single thing. The guy at CircuitCity gave me two harnesses, so everything was plug and play.

Totally different animal when you dont have bose.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Bacon Lover

Totally different animal when you dont have bose.
Completely different setup, and for all I know the 2600 and my 1300 have absolutely nothing in common.

BTW, just ordered my PAC kit and the Pioneer harness a few minutes ago...I'll hopefully be able to pay for the headunit soon and get that on it's way, too. Wish me luck...

Hope I won't need to bug you guys too much during the install However, I do have a kid who installed his own system and is fairly good at wiring doing the actual wiring work for me. It'll probably take him like 5 minutes
Old 12-25-2005, 11:11 AM

Hey, let me get this straight

-Tatanko has bose speakers and stock bose headunit but the headunit recently crapped out
-He want to replace his Bose hu with an aftermarket one but leave the bose speakers?
- He can do this by using a PAC, this will bypass the amps without rewiring anything, and his original bose speakers wont blow?
- The PAC is a wireing harness that will connect to the aftermarket HU wireing harness by matching up the colors ect.?

How will the bose speakers sound with a aftermarket headunit?
I am in an extremely similar situation and am probly gona do this if the idea i have in my head is correct?
How do u plan to mount ur new headunit? get some fittings to fill the extra space?
Old 12-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by BlackMax1992SE
-Tatanko has bose speakers and stock bose headunit but the headunit recently crapped out

-He want to replace his Bose hu with an aftermarket one but leave the bose speakers?

- He can do this by using a PAC, this will bypass the amps without rewiring anything, and his original bose speakers wont blow?
Not quite. It is my understanding that the PAC still makes use of the Bose amps. However nothing needs rewired, and the speakers shouldn't blow.
- The PAC is a wireing harness that will connect to the aftermarket HU wireing harness by matching up the colors ect.?

How will the bose speakers sound with a aftermarket headunit?
They should sound better than stock
How do u plan to mount ur new headunit? get some fittings to fill the extra space?
I will mount the new headunit in the top of the space where the stock Bose HU was. Should mount using the same mounting screws and everything. The extra space will be filled up with a black single-DIN pocket, the same as what comes on Max's without Bose. It's my understanding that generic ones from some place like Best Buy or Circuit City will fit just as well.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:21 AM

i <3 the org

When do u plan on doing this? feel free to pm me if u run into any problems because iv done audio and wireing work before, just never delt with bose.

So ur gona get ur PAC threw ebay, how much do u think it will be if i purchased it at a store, or are they only available online?
Old 12-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Bacon Lover

i <3 the org

When do u plan on doing this? feel free to pm me if u run into any problems because iv done audio and wireing work before, just never delt with bose.

So ur gona get ur PAC threw ebay, how much do u think it will be if i purchased it at a store, or are they only available online?
I got mine for $47.97 shipped off ebay. You just gotta look. I'm guessing you probably wouldn't find it that cheap in any store, if you could even find it in a store.

...and thanks, I'll be sure to keep in touch with you if I have any issues. I ordered the PAC and the harness for the HU today, and hopefully I'll be sending payment for the HU today as well. So maybe at the end of the week I'll be installing it (assuming it all gets here by then, probably not)

EDIT: Since you're a 3rd gen., you need a different PAC kit. The one I got is 1995-2006, you need one that's specific to 3rd gens.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:35 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

If you're using a unit that has front and rear outputs there is no need for the pac. Just wire the rca outs from the unit to the bose inputs.

Also, I have a couple of oem black din pockets $15 shipped each if you want tatanko. check my thread in the fs forum.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:41 AM
Bacon Lover

If you're using a unit that has front and rear outputs there is no need for the pac. Just wire the rca outs from the unit to the bose inputs.
You seem to forget I suck at audio and wiring stuff. I need this to be as straightforward as possible
Also, I have a couple of oem black din pockets $15 shipped each if you want tatanko. check my thread in the fs forum.
I'll be sure to do that soon. Waiting to see how much cash I'll have leftover $15 is a pretty small amount, though, and I'd prefer to put it in while I have the dash apart than have to take it all off again a week later. Thanks!

Quick question, though, about the pockets...how are they secured? I know the headunit is secured by screws that go right into the HU itself, so how are the pockets secured? Or do they just sit in there and rely on the outside trim to hold them in place?
Old 12-25-2005, 11:47 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

You seem to forget I suck at audio and wiring stuff. I need this to be as straightforward as possible

I'll be sure to do that soon. Waiting to see how much cash I'll have leftover $15 is a pretty small amount, though, and I'd prefer to put it in while I have the dash apart than have to take it all off again a week later. Thanks!

Quick question, though, about the pockets...how are they secured? I know the headunit is secured by screws that go right into the HU itself, so how are the pockets secured? Or do they just sit in there and rely on the outside trim to hold them in place?

With your headunit wiring the bose with the outputs will not work since you only have a single set of out's on that headunit.

As for the pockets They use the same type of screws the stock headunit used. And if you don't have the screws the factory bracket will hold them in place fine.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Bacon Lover

With your headunit wiring the bose with the outputs will not work since you only have a single set of out's on that headunit.
I don't think I understand...I looked at the wiring diagrams on Pioneer's website and it showed wires for each of the 4 speakers as part of the 16-pin, plus those 2 off to the side by themselves.
As for the pockets They use the same type of screws the stock headunit used. And if you don't have the screws the factory bracket will hold them in place fine.
Alright, cool.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:52 AM
Suspension Yoda

If you're using the PAC, don't worry about the 8 speaker wires coming out of the 16 pin harness.

The PAC is just a replacement that uses the RCA outs on the HU instead of you hardwiring them into the factory harness, pretty much its a $50 convenience factor.

edit: also, you will still have to hardwire the power, power antenna, accessory, illumination, and find a ground for the HU. did you get an antenna adapter?
Old 12-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Suspension Yoda

Tatanko, if you want I can walk you through it on the phone. PM me whenever if you want my #.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Bacon Lover

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
The PAC is just a replacement that uses the RCA outs on the HU instead of you hardwiring them into the factory harness, pretty much its a $50 convenience factor.
Ummm...I don't remember seeing any RCA cables included in the PAC
edit: also, you will still have to hardwire the power, power antenna, accessory, illumination, and find a ground for the HU. did you get an antenna adapter?
Since I'm already going through the trouble of wiring all that stuff, why not wire the speakers, too? Or should I just use the RCA stuff like you mentioned to avoid potentially doing something idiotic?

I did not order an antenna adapter. Here's why: I never use my radio anyway, and all I've heard about them are bad things (such as the antenna staying up all the time...which I don't want).
Old 12-25-2005, 11:57 AM
Bacon Lover

Tatanko, if you want I can walk you through it on the phone. PM me whenever if you want my #.
I'll PM you then. A walk-through would be GREAT. Like I said earlier, though, it won't be til sometime later this week. I just ordered the stuff today, and most of it most likely won't make it's way out til atleast tuesday. I REALLY appreciate the help, though!
Old 12-25-2005, 11:58 AM
Suspension Yoda

I think I'm thinking of something else. Link to which PAC you ordered?
Old 12-25-2005, 12:04 PM
Bacon Lover

I think I'm thinking of something else. Link to which PAC you ordered?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Quick Reply: HU Replacement and Bose Woes