Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

I need Help choosing a killer setup.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 03:32 PM
Go Get a Life!

I'll repeat this from line 96
This is all going into a 03' Protege 5 I got two weeks ago. Not my Maxima
So you can imagine how it will sound in the P5 I think it will be crazy it's a Hatch.

Is Pearl96max DON???

So with the PPI's I should be fine right or is their something else out their you can think of better just so I know and maybe I can try and get it.

HU Pearl mentions the processor ????
Old 01-18-2006, 03:35 PM

heh I dunno Don personally as well, but still purchased stuff from him knowledgeable and helpful.

*wipes brown stain from nose* ...

but yeah, components in the rear is a bit of overkill IMO. I personlly prefer a solid front soundstage. Why spend so much money for the rears if you sit in the front while driving?
Old 01-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Go Get a Life!

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
heh I dunno Don personally as well, but still purchased stuff from him knowledgeable and helpful.

*wipes brown stain from nose* ...

but yeah, components in the rear is a bit of overkill IMO. I personlly prefer a solid front soundstage. Why spend so much money for the rears if you sit in the front while driving?
I guess I'm the guy who has TV's in the far back seat for traffic to watch behind me.

Same concept you sit in the back and you will be blown away main objective crazy loud everywhere.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:45 PM

lol guys we are barking up the wrong tree. I did not want to crush your heart about what DB you wanna hit...although I did not see the Mazda post. 2 d2's in anything will not hit 150 db in the aforementioned settings with mics, etc. unless you tune them to about 45-50hz and pound them with 1500 watts each and have a stable elctrical system, you have a chance at getting CLOSE to 150.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow......

These guys are trying to help you. Lend an ear. I would also pay good attention to what Don (Pearl96Max) says.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:05 PM

i guess it comes down to "his car, his money"
Old 01-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Go Get a Life!

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
Wow......

These guys are trying to help you. Lend an ear. I would also pay good attention to what Don (Pearl96Max) says.

Yeah read all of DON's post's..
Nothing factual nothing really helpful at all.
Just 6 pages and all i got to was knowing about seas and D2's which I like and already purchased.

Its all good. You dont need to know me. The feedback speaks for itself. 100s of members cant be wrong. 17+ years in the field also adds to my credibility.
Ive actually done systems for less than that, that went on to complete.
Pioneer A/V HU IMO...complete waste for an SQ setup.
The amps you chose, could be Alot better.
Proper processing for an SQ setup using speakers at the calibre of SEAs could be quite costly, and I dont even see that in there.
Rear components...Say goodbye to proper imaging and any Judge would drop your points like a fly on his food.

Yea but with some bad choices, a processor can hurt a system more than help it.
Rainbow made by SEAS?? LMFAO
Buahahahahaha. I believe I did have a bit of gas that day.
Umm so $1700 for a unknown HU and Infinitys????

PLEASE do your future shopping with me.
OR hes trying to make his money back that he gave you initially. So far doesnt sound like anything high end or professional yet.
Nah, not til you gots some $$
VERY hot product right now, especially with me being the only one in the US wit em..
Buahahahahahahaha Audiobahn bling bling FTW !!
BTW Gordon, I have some Rainbows callin your name now....
Well hell if you blindly hand out close to $2K you should be shopping with me. At least you know for the most part youll be getting upper shelf equipment.
we can talk....
Bad for you. Dude your comparing Profis to UP6...thats a nono.,...
This thread isnt serious is it????
Going by some of his requests, Im not exactly sure he even knows what he wants..... 10Hz???
I think he just wants to FEEL it. LoL
LMAO

10 carrots
Ill let ya feel my foot in your a$$.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:51 PM

ah let the fun begin...let's hope Don doesn't take the approach given in the last quote you quoted.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:55 PM
Go Get a Life!

Ok back on topic:

HU??? must contain TV DVD and Mp3

EQ???

Processor???

AMP will two PPI 1500x1 be strong enough to power each Mag D2

Amp will the PPI 600x4 be strong enough for the Seas comps 2x 165wt front and 2x 165wt rear.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Go Get a Life!

Originally Posted by slickrick
ah let the fun begin...let's hope Don doesn't take the approach given in the last quote you quoted.
I know that wasn't directed at me just wanted everyone to see what kind of stuff he's typing..
Old 01-18-2006, 04:59 PM

I know.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:09 PM

As far as ppi, their new stuff is complete garbage (especially their new amps). I've heard them in a setup with top of the line boston components, 2 13w7, nice HU/processing, sound deadening, upgraded alternator, extra stinger battery, setup and tuned properly. It sounded like complete garbage because of the amps............
Old 01-18-2006, 05:09 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by japmaxSE
Yeah read all of DON's post's..
Nothing factual nothing really helpful at all.
Just 6 pages and all i got to was knowing about seas and D2's which I like and already purchased.

Something factual? What would you like to see?

Would you like me to tell you 150dB is obtainable from your setup? Sorry I wont lie.

Do you want me to tell you that your setup is great? Again wont lie.

That your getting a great deal and nothing can compare? Oh umm again wont lie.

MANY people here have tried to help you, but appears that your friend has the most influence and the majority of us are wasting time and space on the thread. You want legitimate responses? Pay attention to what people are telling you and do what theyre recommending. We arent here for sheer pleasure. This site can actually be useful IF you put the advice to use.

BTW..What car did you hear the SEAs in? What amps and processors were used?

Also..what shop does your friend run/own?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:35 PM
Go Get a Life!

Ok Don please look at my setup really carefully and tell me whats wrong and what should or close to should I be using and whats missing.

So far once again

Hu Unkown

Seas RS165A Purchased

Rear Seas PS165F Purchased

Two 12" Stereo Integrity MAG D2's 900rms each Purchased

Two PPI DCX-1500.1 Purchased

One PPI DCX 600.4 Purchased

Sound deadening Roadkill Purchased

External EQ unkown

Yellow Top Purchased

Custom Box SPL Htz unkown yet. Help me with this one and also processor??

Thanks
Old 01-18-2006, 05:37 PM

Im gonna go with Don, on the fact that this thread isnt serious, is it???

I havent kept up with this thread except when recently linked to this page by slickrick. There are people who will try and help you as best they can, but you have to start somewhere and know when you are a newb. Act accordingly.

I could go through and nitpick, doing the same thing you did to Don, and quoting everything to which people here went, "seriously?" in their head. But that doesnt accomplish anything. People here will give advice, whether you take it or leave it is up to you, but you can't come on here and expect to jump into an SPL vehicle at the snap of a finger, while posting things like "what is excursion of a woofer." Read, learn, start a little smaller and get some experience, post up threads that arent as ridiculous, and take the advice of others. Or **** away money to your 'friend', who is evidently bending you over from what I read. Those are your options.

My two cents.

EDIT: something like the above post shouldve been along the lines of post #1, with a budget. That woulda helped, as you said you had already made an appt to have the box made and such.

Check out audiocontrol.com. Whats your budget for the tv/mp3/dvd deck.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:43 PM

tune that box high (40-50 hz should sulfice) since you're going for spl.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
tune that box high (40-50 hz should sulfice) since you're going for spl.
No no no, youve got it all wrong...he needs to be able to hit 10 Hz
Old 01-18-2006, 06:00 PM

nice quote in the sig there Kev

*cough* USACi style metering *cough*
Old 01-18-2006, 06:08 PM

That is pretty funny .
Old 01-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Go Get a Life!

You see this is exactly what I mean I'm trying to squash all the stupidness but it just continues. You guys come in here and post comments that's not what I asked in line 174. It just never stops that's why it's 6 pages long and a-hole bunch of comments nothing factual.... I know I'm a newb to the Audio but jesus christ stop criticizing and just post something I can learn from and use.

I just lost my patience thanks Slickrick and AscendantMax. You guys were the only two who actually contributed to this thread. Everyone else thanks for nothing....I'm out.....Never again...
Old 01-18-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by japmaxSE
You see this is exactly what I mean I'm trying to squash all the stupidness but it just continues. You guys come in here and post comments that's not what I asked in line 174. It just never stops that's why it's 6 pages long and a-hole bunch of comments nothing factual.... I know I'm a newb to the Audio but jesus christ stop criticizing and just post something I can learn from and use.

I just lost my patience thanks Slickrick and AscendantMax. You guys were the only two who actually contributed to this thread. Everyone else thanks for nothing....I'm out.....Never again...

Stupid questions/Statements get the same responses.Its the way world revolves. When you come in here announcing what you wanted to achieve, which was undoable in your budget and acting like it wasnt your going to get ridiculed. Also mentioning your friend as he knew all wasnt going to float too far. You came here for advice, but for the majority only took his. What was the point then?

Further more, criticism gets results. Without it everyone would just buy something and be miserable later. If you cant take contsructive criticism, then you shouldnt ask for advice, one goes with the other.

You also still didnt answer my other questions of what car you heard the SEAs in, and where your frined works. You wanted serious help, at least answer the questions.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:58 PM

BTW...This thread Will remain open.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:46 PM

did this thread disappear while I was gone, or am I on crack?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:08 PM

He closed it, I reopened it.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:13 PM

ah...lol. lemme know how tomorrow goes.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:24 PM

thought you can't delete a thread after 24 hours...(Without mod powers that is )
Old 01-20-2006, 11:09 AM

man you guys kinda came off harsh on the poor guy. He is biased towards his friends recomendations and who wouldnt be if they were just starting out in car audio. I think he has come a long way from not knowing squat about audio to where he is now. We gotta be patient, even through questions and comments that may seem dumb to you and go against good criticism and suggestions that have been made. Now im not trying to start anything guys so don't take it the wrong way.

Anyways japmaxSE, if you still are tuned into your thread box size kinda depends on sub specs as well as how much space you are willing to give up. Me personally in my maxima i have two 15's in a 12.5 cubic ft box in my trunk. So in my case spl was more important than trunk space.
As far as an EQ goes i would personally go with the Mmats mp5. Ive also had an audiocontrol3.1 EQ as well. It sounded good also but the Mmats EQ sounds crisper to me.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:39 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by btmax96
man you guys kinda came off harsh on the poor guy. He is biased towards his friends recomendations and who wouldnt be if they were just starting out in car audio. I think he has come a long way from not knowing squat about audio to where he is now. We gotta be patient, even through qu gestions that have been made. Now im not trying to start anything guys so don't take it the wrong way.

Anyways japmaxSE, if you still are tuned into your thread box size kinda depends on sub specs as well as how much space you are willing to give up. Me personally in my maxima i have two 15's in a 12.5 cubic ft box in my trunk So in my case spl was more important than trunk space.
As far as an EQ goes i would personally go with the Mmats mp5. Ive also had an audiocontrol3.1 EQ as well. It sounded good also but the Mmats EQ sounds crisper to me.

Thems fighting words, and where's the pics of the 12.5 cu ft box? Till then
Old 01-20-2006, 11:53 AM

haha like a fat girl in dodgeball...I'm outta this thread.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:41 PM

Wow nismos14, oh ye of litlte fatih. When anything is posted a lot of people always wants to say or imply something negative. " , a BS flag, thumbs down". You know it would really be easier to say I've never seen that and could you post some pics instead of claiming BS and calling them a jerk off. That could be taken the wrong way.

OK buddy , not thumbs down, and for your information there is a 12.5 cubic ft box , amps, battery, in trunk eq, distro blocks, and wiring all in the trunk of my car. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:52 PM

pics? quite curious on how it fit inside your trunk and how you have the port setup. got that sucker metered?
Old 01-20-2006, 01:12 PM

yeah metered early last year sometime. Pulled a 158.2 . Dont jump the gun it was on one of the old mics, i cant recall which one though. The shop also had some mic trouble earlier that day as well. A car audio shop had a show car there at the competition and they said they were metering a little over 1 point higher than normal. So i'll say prob round the high 157s, again old mic.

The box isn't removable and i built it inside the trunk. Trust me it will fit. I used to know all of the numbers off the top of my head. I havent measured in a while but i believe ive got around 160 to 175 square inches of port on the face of the box. The face of the box is at bout a 50 - 60 degree angle if you are looking at it from the trunk. I don't have any pics on my computer, but i can borrow my cousins digital camera and try to take some and post them up.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:29 PM

anything in the mid 150s is a damn good score in my book. it gets kinda hard to breathe around 155 or so
Old 01-20-2006, 01:44 PM
Chocolate_Boi_1Der

My question is why didnt he look @ some quality amps, a set of HLCDs, four sealed subs and an obnoxious amount of power. I cant believe that he seriously spent that much on what he spent it on, and then ended up with those amps...

sad...