Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Rear Bose Speakers???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 08:44 PM

Rear Bose Speakers???

Sorry to bother you guys with so many newbie questions, but the Bose speakers on my rear deck does not seem to work. Before I take the car back to the dealership for my shimmy, I'd like to be sure the speakers are actually blown.

So the bose speakers on the rear deck, they have a long rectangular grill, so are they the 6x9" and are they supposed to work all the time??

Thanks,

Ming
Old 02-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Newbie just Registered

Bose speakers on the rear deck are 8" subs in 6x9 brackets/adapters. Non-Bose gets 6x9 speakers. Rear speakers for Bose are in the doors. Hope this helps.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
Bose speakers on the rear deck are 8" subs in 6x9 brackets/adapters. Non-Bose gets 6x9 speakers. Rear speakers for Bose are in the doors. Hope this helps.

yea you wont get any high frequencies on those, they have a crossover so they only reproduce low frequencies.... bass. or at least thats what bose says they are supposed to do! .
Old 02-23-2006, 08:49 AM

sometime in the 2004/2005 models they switched the rear bose speakers from 8" to 6x9s
Old 02-23-2006, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by MAX2DAMAX
yea you wont get any high frequencies on those, they have a crossover so they only reproduce low frequencies.... bass. or at least thats what bose says they are supposed to do! .
I put a cd in with some bass, and the rear speakers were indeed subwoofers. They have relatively little output, but they do fill in the low end. It is nothing compared to my home or the other car setup, but I think it does the job for now.

I'm not sure if I want to move my stereo from my current car over, even though my setup is pretty top-notch (top of the line Alpine mp3 deck, couple older PPI amps - 1000 watts RMS combined)

Thanks for the clarification.

Ming
Old 02-23-2006, 09:33 AM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by macming
I put a cd in with some bass, and the rear speakers were indeed subwoofers. They have relatively little output, but they do fill in the low end. It is nothing compared to my home or the other car setup, but I think it does the job for now.

I'm not sure if I want to move my stereo from my current car over, even though my setup is pretty top-notch (top of the line Alpine mp3 deck, couple older PPI amps - 1000 watts RMS combined)

Thanks for the clarification.

Ming
I just added a small sub to the Bose. It's not an award-winning system, but it sounds pretty clean.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:08 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

I was wondering the same thing. I believe my right rear speaker is busted. I want to replace them but I just want to replace them not add a sub. Is it possible to change them without having to add something? If I do what would I have to do to replace them? I guess I am asking.... do the bose need a special hook up to run it with aftermarket speakers ? I like it the way it is. I don't want it to be earth moving. I know alot of people like that. I just wanna keep it normal. If I have to pay alot of money to replace them then I would go for the amp and a sub. BTW I called my local stealer for a price and I was quoted a price of $335. That sounds rediculous.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by kdejour
I was wondering the same thing. I believe my right rear speaker is busted. I want to replace them but I just want to replace them not add a sub. Is it possible to change them without having to add something? If I do what would I have to do to replace them? I guess I am asking.... do the bose need a special hook up to run it with aftermarket speakers ? I like it the way it is. I don't want it to be earth moving. I know alot of people like that. I just wanna keep it normal. If I have to pay alot of money to replace them then I would go for the amp and a sub. BTW I called my local stealer for a price and I was quoted a price of $335. That sounds rediculous.
If Bose haven't changed their design from a LONG time ago, I think they run 1ohm speakers compared to the normal 4 ohms. Therefore, if this is indeed the case, the stock BOSE amp will not put out enough power to drive your aftermarket speaker(s). So you could find a normal 6x9, but try to find one in the right impedence.

If someone could confirm this information above, it would be great.

Good luck

Ming
Old 02-26-2006, 08:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by kdejour

I would try Ebay or the junkyard for a replacement speaker. Otherwise, you could probably get an amp and sub box for not much more than the stealership wants for one speaker. I would just remove both of those subs if you got that route.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:09 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by macming
If Bose haven't changed their design from a LONG time ago, I think they run 1ohm speakers compared to the normal 4 ohms. Therefore, if this is indeed the case, the stock BOSE amp will not put out enough power to drive your aftermarket speaker(s). So you could find a normal 6x9, but try to find one in the right impedence.

If someone could confirm this information above, it would be great.

Good luck

Ming
The resistance across the speakers is closer to 2 ohms, but yes this is typical of the bose. Basically it lets them corner the average person into keeping the bose, and replacing with bose products when damage occurs.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by OmarBadu
sometime in the 2004/2005 models they switched the rear bose speakers from 8" to 6x9s

i have a pair of 6x9 subs on the rear deck (which i'm still trying to figure out how to remove)
Old 02-26-2006, 09:46 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by AscendantMax

i have a pair of 6x9 subs on the rear deck (which i'm still trying to figure out how to remove)

Dremel FTW............
Old 02-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Don't want to hijack this thread, but the stock Bose in my 00' SE cuts in and out. Could be the crossover or the pre-amp attached to the sub on the rear deck. How may I determine which is the problem. The Sub is not blown and still functional. Anyone else experience this issue.

Sorry for the HiJack, performed a Domain filtered search on dogpile.com and only one result with no answer.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AscendantMax

Take the trim of of the parchel shelf and use a 8mm? wrench to take out the four bolts. Then go into the trunk and remove the cover. There is a hook feature that keeps the speaker from droping down, just go back up to the parchel shelf and compress the hook and let them drop into the trunk. It's a lot easier at the factory to do this because they don't have the rear glass installed and can get a hand in the trunk and on the hook at the same time.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by jaydabee
Take the trim of of the parchel shelf and use a 8mm? wrench to take out the four bolts. Then go into the trunk and remove the cover. There is a hook feature that keeps the speaker from droping down, just go back up to the parchel shelf and compress the hook and let them drop into the trunk. It's a lot easier at the factory to do this because they don't have the rear glass installed and can get a hand in the trunk and on the hook at the same time.
well, getting to the 4 bolts is what i'm trying to figure out. looks like the rear seat has to come out.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Banned

Nope, You need to peel the side trim by the windows off first. It's held in by snap features in the plastic. Then take out the thrid brake light, it snaps out also. There may be one or two screws to remove on deck trim, then it just lifts out. I haven't take one off with a sunshade, so don't know if that complicates matters significantly or not.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by RHMax
I just added a small sub to the Bose. It's not an award-winning system, but it sounds pretty clean.
When you added your sub, was it already powered or did you install an amp with it as well?