Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 06:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

fuse keeps blowing

my speakers have stopped working since sunday (bose head unit works well lights up and plays cd but no sound) i checked the fuse box under steering and found the 15 Amp fuse in the "bose" slot had blown. After i replaced the fuse my speakers worked for about 1 second and stopped working (fuse had blown again) each time i replace the fuse and turn on the headunit the fuse blows.

i haven't done any electrical work on the car and I haven't anything out of the usual.

has anybody every had this problem? and how did you solve it?

does anybody have any suggestions on how to solve this problem
Old 03-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Suspension Yoda

Time to diagnose what is blowing the fuse.

Pull out your Blose HU and disconnect it. Put in a good fuse. Does it pop?
Old 03-08-2006, 08:21 PM

Worst case scenario youd have to get yourself a multimeter and figure out exactly what is grounding out, whether its one of the power wires going to the deck/one of the bose amps, etc. Weird problem though if you are 100% stock.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:07 AM
100% chingon

Originally Posted by maxcooldc
my speakers have stopped working since sunday (bose head unit works well lights up and plays cd but no sound) i checked the fuse box under steering and found the 15 Amp fuse in the "bose" slot had blown. After i replaced the fuse my speakers worked for about 1 second and stopped working (fuse had blown again) each time i replace the fuse and turn on the headunit the fuse blows.

i haven't done any electrical work on the car and I haven't anything out of the usual.

has anybody every had this problem? and how did you solve it?

does anybody have any suggestions on how to solve this problem
It sounds like one of your Bose amps has had a capacitor failure and probably blown the output transistors. Since the rears are the easiest to get to, I'd start by disconnecting the power line to both of your rear units, replace the fuse and try the system. If the fuse blows, reconnect the rear units, take the front door panels off and disconnect the power to both fronts, replace the fuse, test.
When you localise it to front/rear, test each speaker individually.
If you have had the output pair in an amp fail, the problem is finding proper replacements, the market is flooded with counterfeit Chinese power devices that don't work properly. In that case I would look for getting a spare complete amp or a pair, from an org member or EBay. Easier fix.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by clive
It sounds like one of your Bose amps has had a capacitor failure and probably blown the output transistors. Since the rears are the easiest to get to, I'd start by disconnecting the power line to both of your rear units, replace the fuse and try the system. If the fuse blows, reconnect the rear units, take the front door panels off and disconnect the power to both fronts, replace the fuse, test.
When you localise it to front/rear, test each speaker individually.
If you have had the output pair in an amp fail, the problem is finding proper replacements, the market is flooded with counterfeit Chinese power devices that don't work properly. In that case I would look for getting a spare complete amp or a pair, from an org member or EBay. Easier fix.
thanks i think i will do that this afternoon when i get home
Old 03-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Suspension Yoda

No problem, keep us posted.

Good luck