Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Installed New HU Now Climate Control Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 05:09 PM

Installed New HU Now Climate Control Issues

I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima GXE. Non Bose stereo and manual climate control. Installed a Pioneer HU, amp, and subs.

Everythings works and sounds great, but my climate control seems to be stuck in the same position as it was when I pulled everything out. I pulled it all back out assuming there was a connection issue, but everything is connected as it should be.

Has anyone run into this? I've searched and found nothing. I have looked at every fuse I thought could be the culprit, but nothing. I even took the control unit completely apart and everything appears fine, nothing burned on the circuit boards, and all wires are still soldered to the boards.

Thanks for reading
Old 04-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Suspension Yoda

Manual climate control.....

What exactly is it stuck on? You can't move the temperature slider? Or when you do it doesn't do anything? What about when you switch the fan to different speeds/press the buttons above the slider?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Manual climate control.....

What exactly is it stuck on? You can't move the temperature slider? Or when you do it doesn't do anything? What about when you switch the fan to different speeds/press the buttons above the slider?

The slider moves and clicks with each position as it should, it just does not adjust the temperature. It's temperature setting feels about in the middle where it was when I took it apart. Everything else works as it should, fan, vent position, and A/C, only A/C does not work as it should because the setting is too hot.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Suspension Yoda

So only the temperature slider does not work. When I slide mine, if I listen closely, I can hear something opening/closing back behind the dash, I'm not sure what it is but it must have to do with the heater core. Can you hear that moving?

Any people local to you that you can swap HVAC controls out with?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:45 PM

I do not hear anything behind the dash, I can feel/hear a clicking at the slider control when I move it.

I do not know anyone with a similar Maxima.

My main concern is if I buy a new/used control unit that it may still not work. I thought I would find more info about this, hoping it was a common issue.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Suspension Yoda

Yea that's just the feel of the slider itself.

To be honest I really don't know what to tell you. I'm out of ideas. I'm assuming you're out of warranty too. You checked all fuses under hood and under steering wheel?
Old 04-10-2006, 06:59 PM

I checked all the fuses I thought were relative, maybe I'll check them all.ou

Thanks for your help. I'm sure if this was common you would know.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Suspension Yoda

Can't hurt to check every one. Sometimes I find weird ways in which things are linked.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:26 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

I know this is an insanley dumb question, but was your car running when you tried playing with the cc? The hot temp is driven off of the engine and the ac will only fully run when the compressor kicks on...just a thought.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Suspension Yoda

Interesting. It should still switch over and blow cold air when slid to the right, even when compressor is not on.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:35 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Interesting. It should still switch over and blow cold air when slid to the right, even when compressor is not on.
Negative. It will only blow ambient air.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Metal Maxima
Negative. It will only blow ambient air.
Hm. I think you may have gotten me there, so touche for now.

Was your engine warm or cold when you tried to change the heat setting?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:44 AM

I installed the stereo about three weeks ago, the temp here in MN was fine with the setting in the position it was in (med. high), until yesterday (79 deg.), that's when I had to take it apart. I tested with the car running each time, and up to enough temp to have heat.

With full operating temperature and driving I can not change the temperature with the slider, it stays the same no matter where I position the heat/cold setting. Get's slightly better with the A/C on but it's still too hot. I beleive the setting it's on is the same as when I originally removed it to install the stereo.

Is there a way to change the setting at the heater core? I beleive the heater core is the big white box behind the radio, and there appears to be a small flat motor you can see from the drivers side with a hole in the center. If I can change this to cold for now, I can shop for a better deal on Ebay for a CC unit. If this is the problem.

Typical car stuff, there's always something that'll bite you in the ***.