Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Lookin to do a car computer

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 09:49 PM
The Computer Guy

Lookin to do a car computer

Hey I am computer guy and im lookin to do a touch screen in-dash. I looked at 7" screen will this fit in the double din area or need lil modding? Also since the screen is gonna be were the hu waz am I able to run the speakers off the soundcard on the computer threw like an AUX to and 4 ch amp? Is there sucha thing? If anyone can give me some advice and place were to buy that would be great. I know ebay, and mp3car.com. I have the computer pretty much might need to water cool it if I put it in trunk.

Thanks
Old 04-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My Max is a 99 GLE and came with a factory Bose system.

I used a 7" Xenarc touchscreen monitor (widescreen 16 x 9 aspect) in my double din opening. It took a little bit of cutting on the back side of the dash bezel and the monitor housing to get it installed right, but it was not a big deal to do.

I no longer have any head unit. As the speaker outputs from the Bose radio is actually a Line output (not speaker level output), I was able to run RCA cable from the soundcard outputs directly to the factory bose wiring in the dash (where it had been connected to the old bose hu), which then goes to the bose amplified speakers. As the Bose has amps at each speaker I did not need additional amplifiers. I guess in your case you will need to buy an amp, but I don't have any specific recommendations for what to get or where to buy it...perhaps somebody else has some ideas? For FM radio, I installed a TV card with built in FM tuner into the computer. I can't get any TV reception at the moment though because I do not have a TV antenna, but the FM works well. I put a toggle switch (which I use as a kill switch for the PC, in case I need to hard reboot) into the hole where the cigarette lighter used to be. I have also mounted a USB 2.0 port just below it so I can plug in a removable usb hard drive, DVD, keyboard or whatever. I don't have a permanent CD/DVD drive built into the dash yet, but that is my next addition...still trying to find a suitable location. I use the soundcard's software based equalizer to get the sound tuned just right for my liking and I find the sound quality is very good...much better than the factory bose head unit. I have recently added XM Direct satellite radio and WiFi to my car pc system.

Good luck with your setup.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:01 AM
The Computer Guy

That sounds good. Im lookin to proably use the computer to control the volume on the speakers. I waz thinking of gettin like an Audigy Zs USB or and Audigy with an remote to control volume easly. Would this be powerful enought to do threw a 4 channel amp? I waz thinkin I would do a 600 to 850w 4 ch. Is this do able? How much cuttin did u have to do? Just lil curious my opening for Double Din waz about 7 by 4 1/2 so its pretty descent size.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:22 AM
The Computer Guy

I am lookin at this screen Tview T-700TS 7" Touch Screen and this one Lilliput 7" Touch Screen. How would I mount this in the dash? Hot glue it or would I have to make some kinda bracket? How do most people mount theirs?
Old 04-28-2006, 04:56 PM

Why don't you want to go with a motorized in-dash screen? You can them on ebay for 300 bux or so now. Just make sure you cut the screws that come with it, or use very short ones.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:16 PM
The Computer Guy

i thought about that but its kinda expansive idk I guess its cleaner install. Might do that
Old 04-28-2006, 07:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I second the notion on an indash screen. It makes the install job a snap, and are very clean. Also, you have the option of hiding the screen when parking in a not so safe neighborhood. Not to mention you won't waste one din slot and use that for something else.

PS. do yourself a favor and stay away from those tview screens off of ebay, they tend to go bad or the touchscreen won't hold alignment, do it right, do it once, get a xenarc or lilliput.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by nForce

I am lookin at this screen Tview T-700TS 7" Touch Screen and this one Lilliput 7" Touch Screen. How would I mount this in the dash? Hot glue it or would I have to make some kinda bracket? How do most people mount theirs?
Sorry, I'm not familiar with that Tview screen. Lilliput should be fine though. You could make a bracket or use an adhesive or some kind, it's really up to you. I used a kind of thick, double-sided, rubber tape, like they use for attaching body-side molding. It's very strong and yet you can still remove it if you need to without breaking anything. The motorized screens would be worth looking at. Another advantage of the motorize ones is the adjustable viewing angle...sometimes the flush mounted screens are a bit hard to read due to the side angle view.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:25 PM

Oh, just to clarify, the cutting I had to do was not into the visible (face) part of the bezel, but in behind...where the brackets screw in to the bezel. The outer width of the screen was wider than the factory head unit so I had to cut away some plastic to get it to fit between the brackets. It only took a few minutes with a dremel. Yours may not be exactly the same because your dash is a little different in the 93, but I expect it will be very similar.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am working right now on my 2001 Maxima. I have the Lilliput Screen 7in in the place of my radio (glued the monitor to the radio bezel). For sound I went to Radio Shack got a headphone pin to RCA connector converter I used a spliter to share the amp between computer and the Headunit that has replaced my hazard light switch, cigarette lighter, and coin holder. I am going to switch from my laptop to a small form desktop in the trunk.