Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Impressions on Pioneer DEH-P880-PRS please

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 06:51 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Nakamichi?

FTW !!

Old 06-07-2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
I was gonna recommend the Nak but you have bling tastes like me...IMO either unit you are looking at whether it be the clipse or the pio are fine units. you are getting it from CC and if any problems arise they will handle it with ease.

the pioneer isnt coming from CC, you slackies dont get Premier.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by VTonmymind
Man, I don't know what to do. Fryoneers, Alpine not so good anymore, Eclipse bling blinging it out. What in the world am I to do?

Bottom line: I want a sharp lookin unit that's gonna sound good and not jam me in the bung hole by falling to pieces or blowing itself up.

I've got an appointment Friday to take the 7000 out and the 880 in. Do you forsee any deep regrets by doing so?

Also, the Pioneer has a 2 year warranty. If it does shat the bed, can I return it to the place of purchase and have em slap me in a new one, or do I have to ship it back to Pioneer myself? (btw: I'm not getting it at Circuit City, I guess they can't get them because it is a Premier piece, and their not a licensed dealer)
Go with the Pioneer unit.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
the pioneer isnt coming from CC, you slackies dont get Premier.
I know they don't but I thought he "custom" ordered it there?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:59 PM

I know they don't but I thought he "custom" ordered it there?

No sir, read post 37, but this time all of it.

Originally Posted by skierxx5556
Go with the Pioneer unit.

Because.....?

Care to share your experiences with it?
Mmm, fresh lobster

I tried, but no go. The manager called his Pio rep, along with a few other cats and they said nay cause their not licensed to sell em.

Screw it, I'm getting a Sony Xplod!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:06 PM

I tried, but no go. The manager called his Pio rep, along with a few other cats and they said nay cause their not licensed to sell em.

Screw it, I'm getting a Sony Xplod!

Teeehehehehehe

Thats why I keep in stock almost always, definately hot sellers. Although reliability *may* still be a bit questionable.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Suspension Yoda

Bah. Nak CD500 FTW
Old 06-07-2006, 07:08 PM

Absolutely !!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:10 PM

i skimmed that post but can I blame the perkisets im on? doesn't surprise me CC would pull that bs about not getting it...stick with the eclipse or buy the pio from don.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:15 PM

i skimmed that post but can I blame the perkisets im on?
Percocets?

doesn't surprise me CC would pull that bs about not getting it...
Then how could they sell their protection plans?

stick with the eclipse or buy the pio from don.
Id say stick with it, or can have my CD500.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Hmmmm, decisions, decisions. Can I have one of those percocets first?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:29 PM

Hmmmm, decisions, decisions. Can I have one of those percocets first?

Blah, Ill throw in some Vicodin for ya.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:30 PM

Percocets?

Then how could they sell their protection plans?

Id say stick with it, or can have my CD500.
lol be happy I cant spell the drugs..1st time I've ever taken a drug before in my life...and I like it. protection plans=CC's plan of life. everytime you go there they try to sell you one, even for the smallest things.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

I think I could use a pill or two. It'll certainly ease this pain I'm having over trying to decide which way to go with this. Course pills + me =

I think I gotta give that Pioneer a whirl first. I'm dying to see what she looks, feels and sounds like. Do a little comparing and contrasting if you will. As before, I've got 30 days to determine whether I like it or not, and if I don't, the Nak might be an option. It's an ugly bugger though isn't it. Hell, maybe I won't know what I've got till the 7000 is gone. We'll see.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:54 PM

I think I could use a pill or two. It'll certainly ease this pain I'm having over trying to decide which way to go with this. Course pills + me =

I think I gotta give that Pioneer a whirl first. I'm dying to see what she looks, feels and sounds like. Do a little comparing and contrasting if you will. As before, I've got 30 days to determine whether I like it or not, and if I don't, the Nak might be an option. It's an ugly bugger though isn't it. Hell, maybe I won't know what I've got till the 7000 is gone. We'll see.

The Nak is only ugly if you see it that way. IMO..form should follow function and to me its actually quite eye pleasing for a simple, but exceptional piece. Although I dont think it would be for you or any of the masses due to the lack of fancy graphics and of course EQ capabilities,crossover,etc. Its just a simple Plain Jane CD Transport.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:48 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

True, true. I'm not a real fancy smancy graphics needin kinda guy either, but that 880 does look lovely. With all the bling going on out there now, I was thinking that the 880 was a rather plain (or shall I say clean) unit in comparision. That's probably what put me off a bit about the 7000. I feel it's a too distracting, too bright, too pow in your face look at me kinda unit. I do agree with you about function over form (and no disrespect to the Nak), but in all honesty, I'd like to sit back and admire the looks of a h/u too. That's probably why I've been struggling so much with what to get. I've been looking for the best of both worlds and am slowly realizing that it's a real tough thing to do.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:50 PM

True, true. I'm not a real fancy smancy graphics needin kinda guy either, but that 880 does look lovely. With all the bling going on out there now, I was thinking that the 880 was a rather plain (or shall I say clean) unit in comparision. That's probably what put me off a bit about the 7000. I feel it's a too distracting, too bright, too pow in your face look at me kinda unit. I do agree with you about function over form (and no disrespect to the Nak), but in all honesty, I'd like to sit back and admire the looks of a head unit too h/u too. That's probably why I've been struggling so much with what to get. I've been looking for the best of both worlds and am slowly realizing that it's a real tough thing to do.

I would definately have to agree with the Pioneer being the nicest looking by far. Its just down right sexy. The Nak is somewhat of an aquired taste, also not one to get easily used to. The pio is Very clean looking and gets the job done, cant ask for much more than that.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:39 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

880 prs is sweet, if you have days to test drive them do it. There's no reason not to.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Well, I checked out the 880 today and.......................I like the Eclipse better. Way better. It must be one of those grow on ya, hey I kick ****, glad you figured me out kinda units. I can't attest to the sound quality of the Pioneer seen as I've decided not to put it in my car, but it felt nothing like I wanted it to, didn't look as sharp as I wanted it to, and I had an intense feeling that I would have regreted my decision if I had made the switch. Yes, it was clean, sexy and could have performed well in my car, but I gotta give it up to the Eclipse. The more I tinker and play with it, the more I break it in, the more I like it.

I've got oodles of questions about the intricacies of it, but the first thing I'd like to know is if I can mount it any differently. A little deeper or cleaner if you will. Will a trim ring fit around this sucker without any problems?

I wish I could post pictures of my install so you can better gauge or perhaps see why I'm unsatisfied with it (if I even should be), but I rightly don't know how to, but if anybody can help me post em, that would be marvelous.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:57 PM

Well, I checked out the 880 today and.......................I like the Eclipse better. Way better. It must be one of those grow on ya, hey I kick ****, glad you figured me out kinda units. I can't attest to the sound quality of the Pioneer seen as I've decided not to put it in my car, but it felt nothing like I wanted it to, didn't look as sharp as I wanted it to, and I had an intense feeling that I would have regreted my decision if I had made the switch. Yes, it was clean, sexy and could have performed well in my car, but I gotta give it up to the Eclipse. The more I tinker and play with it, the more I break it in, the more I like it.

I've got oodles of questions about the intricacies of it, but the first thing I'd like to know is if I can mount it any differently. A little deeper or cleaner if you will. Will a trim ring fit around this sucker without any problems?

I wish I could post pictures of my install so you can better gauge or perhaps see why I'm unsatisfied with it (if I even should be), but I rightly don't know how to, but if anybody can help me post em, that would be marvelous.

YaY for the Eclipse !

to post pics just put it inbetween here:

[IMG]Insert URL of JPEG IMAGE[/IMG]
Old 06-08-2006, 08:09 PM

glad you stuck with Eclipse...
Old 06-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Eclipse does make some very nice HU's.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

glad you stuck with Eclipse...
Me too.

I am curious to know about the Sat radio situation with it though. From what I hear, Sirius reception sucks goose *****. (is that a Sirius "satellite" thing or a crapola tuner thing?) In my consideration of the 880, I liked the fact that I had the option of choosing either XM or Sirius. The Eclipse seems to have handcuffed me with Sirius (I like the the looks of their programming better) but if the reception sucks, then perhaps I'd prefer XM.

I think I did hear Don mention that Eclipse plans on adding XM to their units, but was wondering if it will be added to their later produced units, making mine a too bad so sad one or will I be able to add the tuner to it later when the time comes.

I guess what I'm getting at is whether I should return my current unit and wait for a newer one, or just hang on to it cause it will be compatible. Honestly, I have no qualms returning mine and waiting for a new one. Who knows, maybe they'll tinker with it a bit more and make it even better in the process. (i.e dimming capabilities for the control buttons, making the face automatically close after you put a CD in, add more illumination colors, change the action of the motorized face so you can mount it anyway you like without worrying about it hitting anything etc.)

Anyway.....what do y'all think.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:18 AM

The Eclipse units are dedicated to Sirius. Although Terk is in the final stages of producing an "XM Direct" unit to be used with Eclipse. This is the same one that you would use with Pioneer,Alpine,Clarion,OEM,etc. You need the universal tuner box, then the appropriate module for Eclipse P/N: TBD.

Honestly speaking, Sirius's reception does suck elephant ******* follicles. Id wait for the Terk unit, as the CD7000 will be carried over to '07
Old 06-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Honestly speaking, Sirius's reception does suck elephant ******* follicles.

If I may, just for clarification, my head unit will be able to get XM, I just need to wait for the Terk universal box and the module to put in my h/u. (the module will fit in my h/u, yes?
Old 06-09-2006, 09:17 AM

correct sir.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:35 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

good deal, and thank you sir.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Mmm, fresh lobster

to post pics just put it inbetween here:

[IMG]Insert URL of JPEG IMAGE[/IMG]
Sorry, but I'm gonna have to noob it up. URL? Do I have to go to a hosting site, post my pictures there, then enter the URL of that pic page to post em? If yes, can you recommend a site(s) for me please. Would it also be safe to assume that only donating Org members can post pics directly from their hard drives? Sorry, but I've never posted pics before and had to ask.

Noob Q #2: Where in the world is the treble and bass controls on the CD7000? I'm new to the world of high end h/u's, and perhaps don't yet realize that they aren't as simple as that, but I did see that they were available in the 3-way system. Are they only adjustable in a 3-way setup. How would I go about adjusting the highs and lows if I don't have the treble and bass adjustment option?
Old 06-11-2006, 08:39 AM

Sorry, but I'm gonna have to noob it up. URL? Do I have to go to a hosting site, post my pictures there, then enter the URL of that pic page to post em? If yes, can you recommend a site(s) for me please. Would it also be safe to assume that only donating Org members can post pics directly from their hard drives? Sorry, but I've never posted pics before and had to ask.

Noob Q #2: Where in the world is the treble and bass controls on the CD7000? I'm new to the world of high end h/u's, and perhaps don't yet realize that they aren't as simple as that, but I did see that they were available in the 3-way system. Are they only adjustable in a 3-way setup. How would I go about adjusting the highs and lows if I don't have the treble and bass adjustment option?

Yes youll have to host it somewhere. Photobucket and cardomain.com are two very common ones to use. No one can actually upload pics, outside hosting is always required.

LoL Just press the small center button of the "joystock" control. Toggling through there I believe will bring them as well as balance/fader/sub level
Old 06-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Yes youll have to host it somewhere. Photobucket and cardomain.com are two very common ones to use. No one can actually upload pics, outside hosting is always required.

LoL Just press the small center button of the "joystock" control. Toggling through there I believe will bring them as well as balance/fader/sub level
Aye.

Found the bass and treble controls btw. I was in the 4 speaker + sub layout, and you can't use/access them unless you get in the 3 way. Wonder why they won't let you use them unless your in 3 way? Will those settings hold when I go back to the 4 speaker setup or does it not apply to the 4 speaker period? Kinda stinks if it doesn't cause I'll be using the 4 speaker + sub config when the time comes, and to tell the truth, it sounds a lot better in the 3 way being able to adjust those settings and all.

Honestly, I'm still trying to figure out if this h/u is for me.

As a side note, I don't have my amp and sub hooked up yet, and I've got Boston RM6's (coax's) in the front right now. Obviously, I'll notice a huge diff in SQ when they are hooked up and the Profi's are in there, but do you think the tuning abilities are better in the 3 way vs. the 4 speaker setup?
Old 06-11-2006, 02:27 PM

It's too bad that Eclipse changed that from last years CD8455. With the CD8455 you could use the 4 speaker + sub configuration and still have the ability to use the bass, mid, and trebel controls. The thing I did not like was loosing the ability to adjust the subwoofer like the bass and treble controls when going from the adanced mode to the pro-mode. This comes in handy when wanting to make quick changes to your sound. I am still evaluating my Alpine HU to see if I will keep it, or the CD8455.....
Old 06-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
It's too bad that Eclipse changed that from last years CD8455. With the CD8455 you could use the 4 speaker + sub configuration and still have the ability to use the bass, mid, and trebel controls. The thing I did not like was loosing the ability to adjust the subwoofer like the bass and treble controls when going from the adanced mode to the pro-mode. This comes in handy when wanting to make quick changes to your sound. I am still evaluating my Alpine HU to see if I will keep it, or the CD8455.....
It is too bad, I wonder why they did that.

Honestly, it's tough to spend $700 plus on a h/u and not to be supremely happy with it.

Course I reckon it doesn't help when your first impression of it is how awful it fits in the din. There's gotta be a better way to mount it than that. Is this install pure madness or is it me?

Old 06-12-2006, 05:01 PM

It does look like it sticks out a good amount, maybe due to the detachable face they are using now..

Here is a shot of my CD8454 and CD8455, not the best shots but it does not look like they stuck out as much.

Here is one of my CDA-9835, same thing with this one. Kind of blurry....

Old 06-12-2006, 06:47 PM

Where did you get that installed it looks like they did a really ****ty job did they even put on the trim ring?
Old 06-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Suspension Yoda

Where did you get that installed it looks like they did a really ****ty job did they even put on the trim ring?
You can't use the trim ring with this version maxima. Your 5th gen can because the Metra kit was used.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:21 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

Circuit City. They said they used a metra kit, the 99-7417 i believe, but he said he couldn't add a trim ring cause the face would most likely catch on it. Looks crumby doesn't it. Doesn't feel like it's safely protected in there either, giving me the feeling that if any added pressure were put on it, it would snap right off.
I wonder if I'll run into this same mounting problem, regardless of what h/u I use.

DJ:
Can any custom work be done or different kit used to solve this 4th gen, can't flush fit a h/u ailment?

1996 Blackmax:
Thank you very much for posting your pics. Very kind to do. Thank you.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Suspension Yoda

Circuit City. They said they used a metra kit, the 99-7417 i believe, but he said he couldn't add a trim ring cause the face would most likely catch on it. Looks crumby doesn't it. Doesn't feel like it's safely protected in there either, giving me the feeling that if any added pressure were put on it, it would snap right off.
I wonder if I'll run into this same mounting problem, regardless of what h/u I use.

DJ:
Can any custom work be done or different kit used to solve this 4th gen, can't flush fit a h/u ailment?

1996 Blackmax:
Thank you very much for posting your pics. Very kind to do. Thank you.
I don't know my 4th gens that well...but the Metra kit they probably used was just for the pocket. No trim/plastic or anything is used for the HU mounting. The only thing I can suggest is drilling new holes in the metal HU bracket to move the deck back a little bit.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Mmm, fresh lobster

I'll certainly have to check that option out. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Impressions on Pioneer DEH-P880-PRS please