Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Parrot Bluetooth Install Help - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 07:39 AM

Parrot Bluetooth Install Help - need advice

I have ordered a Parrot CK3100BT handsfree car kit and have been reading up on installations. One problem that seems to consistently pop up is with the Bose stereo. Brief rundown - from what I can tell, the unit splices into the speaker wires to mute the stereo when a call comes in and play that call through the speakers. The problem most people have had is that the Parrot has a 3W output which is too high for the Bose amp, causing the call volume to be much too loud even at the lowest settings. Here is my question: Would it make sense to just wire the Parrot in to the speaker wires AFTER the amplifier? It makes sense to me in theory, but I'm no expert. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:07 AM
Suspension Yoda

Bose unit has no mute feature...unless the Parrot has an input from amp, mutes it there, and puts out only the call's signal?

I dont know enough about the unit.

Have you considered just adding one cheap mini speaker...mount it under your seat or something.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:56 AM

There is a way to wire the Parrot so that it does the muting - in other words, it interrupts the signal between the headunit and the speakers and uses the speakers for the call. There was a member here who did it with a non-Bose HU. I'm just trying to figure out if I can wire in the Parrot after the amp instead of before. My concern is that I can't find anywhere that someone has tried it, and I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of it. So maybe it is just a bad idea.

If I can't figure this out, I'll probably just wire up a small speaker under the dash or something. There is a harness that solves the problem, but it is $150. There also are some instructions using relays and adaptors for an FX35, which I imagine would apply, but they look over my head. Anybody want to put it together for me for $50?
http://www.reione.com/Infiniti.htm
Old 06-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Suspension Yoda

If a member did it for non-Bose, if you do the same thing after the Bose HU, it would essentially be the same thing, however you may want to check the output of Parrot to ensure the correct wattage/impedance.

Small speaker under dash would be best/easiest
Old 06-15-2006, 12:27 PM

I had my parrot installed a few months ago. I currently have an aftermarket HU (w/ tel mute). No speakers running off of the HU, 3 amps for Mids, Tweets and Subs. What I wound up doing was wiring the thing normally to the HU and then connecting smaller speakers under the dash that are using the parrot to send sound to them.

BigHam (I think) may have possibly connected his to an amplified system.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:19 PM

Update: I read somewhere that wiring it after the amp may not work because the Bose system uses 2 ohm speakers. Can any one confirm? I'm assuming that would overwork the tiny 3w amplifier in the Parrot and burn it up, but again I'm not an expert and would appreciate any opinions. The whole point of this is to have it fully integrated in to the car.

If not, does anybody know what resistor I would need to bring the 3w Parrot output to the level that the Bose amp is looking for?
Old 06-22-2006, 08:45 PM

Success! I wired the speaker connections on the Parrot to the speaker wires coming off the amp (front only) and hooked up the mute wire to a relay that shuts down all power to the amp when a call comes in. The changeover is basically seamless, no popping or anything. The one thing I didn't count on is that the sub uses it's own amp, so it still plays while the call is going - nothing another relay can't fix. If you've never seen the Parrot, it is truly a great piece of equipment.

Now the only problem is that the bluetooth on my phone stopped working. Hopefully I can get it replaced this weekend.

Thanks to all those who offered help. I've looked all over the net for somebody who has done this without any luck, but by piecing together all the info I could find here and a few other spots I was able to make it work. I will try and do a write up here in the near future, but I will not post any pics of my ghetto wiring job. Lets just say I am a big fan of those clamp on wire splices.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:22 PM

Nice job, good to see people not afraid to jump in and try something.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:41 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by brandonj
Success! I wired the speaker connections on the Parrot to the speaker wires coming off the amp (front only) and hooked up the mute wire to a relay that shuts down all power to the amp when a call comes in. The changeover is basically seamless, no popping or anything. The one thing I didn't count on is that the sub uses it's own amp, so it still plays while the call is going - nothing another relay can't fix. If you've never seen the Parrot, it is truly a great piece of equipment.

Now the only problem is that the bluetooth on my phone stopped working. Hopefully I can get it replaced this weekend.

Thanks to all those who offered help. I've looked all over the net for somebody who has done this without any luck, but by piecing together all the info I could find here and a few other spots I was able to make it work. I will try and do a write up here in the near future, but I will not post any pics of my ghetto wiring job. Lets just say I am a big fan of those clamp on wire splices.

Wow...kudos to you
Old 06-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Donating i30 Owner

..darn a bit late.. but most of the bose units have a tel feature... actually all of them from 96 and up... granted ur using the BOSE unit.... they play the audio from the phone throught hte right pass front speaker. and mutes radio, stops cd play/tape play.. i have it wired like that.. wish i saw earlier...

but kudos on the install