Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

need help w/ pioneer ipod adapter

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 10:31 AM

need help w/ pioneer ipod adapter

i have a pioneer avic n3. my hide-away is mounted under the front passenger seat. i just ordered/received david navone's ipod adapter kit (see http://www.autosound2000.com/ipodadapters.htm) which plugs into the hide-away's IP bus port and has a hot and ground wire. where in the passenger floor board can i find a 12v?
Old 06-24-2006, 06:28 PM
Suspension Yoda

You MAY find it in the heated seat wires.

Otherwise, it's really not that hard to tap off the ignition and run a wire.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:35 PM

Why wouldnt you just get the ipod adapter made by Pioneer instead of some off brand?

Anyway, modules made by Pioneer get switched power through IP Bus and constant and ground are external, so assuming this one works the same, youll need constant power, which is why Id guess that heated seats won't work, but I could be wrong. I say run em up to the ignition harness or radio's harness and call it a day.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by kpr10is
Why wouldnt you just get the ipod adapter made by Pioneer instead of some off brand?

Anyway, modules made by Pioneer get switched power through IP Bus and constant and ground are external, so assuming this one works the same, youll need constant power, which is why Id guess that heated seats won't work, but I could be wrong. I say run em up to the ignition harness or radio's harness and call it a day.
after all the times i've pulled out the passenger seat and head unit, i think i'm going w/ the pioneer ipod unit. right now, i have the hot wire extended to the hu's switched power. the ipod would start charging, then after a few minutes it wouldn't charge. maybe it's the way i ran/tapped the wires, so i'm starting to get frustrated. i know it's easy, but electrical ain't really my thing. live and learn, huh.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Suspension Yoda

Make sure your wires are fully tapped. T-taps (if you're using them) sometimes don't bite 100%. Try stripping and splicing the wire directly in line.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Make sure your wires are fully tapped. T-taps (if you're using them) sometimes don't bite 100%. Try stripping and splicing the wire directly in line.
that's exactly what i've done - i used vamp clips just to test what wire works, then as soon as i found it, i spliced directly into it and wrapped w/ elec tape. what i'm finding out is if my ipod is less than 50%, it'll charge, but after a few minutes of charging, it'll stop. it seems that this adapter won't charge to 100%... maybe the pioneer brand will.