Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Usefulness of second battery?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 09:53 PM

Usefulness of second battery?

Hello there,

I am a pretty new member. I have some questions about second batteries. I did some research here, but most of the posts seemed to be for high-power audio applications.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I have two batteries for my Max. Had some bad problems a few months back. Battery fell apart while on a trip to NY. Replaced it with a battery from a local shop. Few months later, Nissan techs say that the battery is broken, so I get a replacement. There had been a lot of weird stalling/not starting more than X times per day problems. The new battery fixes it, but I've got a broken battery in my garage. I finally head back up to NY with it, and while they won't refund me, they did give me a new one.

So now I've got a brand spankin' new battery sitting in my garage, and nothing to use it for.

So, my questions are these:

Is there any disadvantage to having a pair of batteries in parallel running off of the stock alternator?

If so, what is necessary to reduce those disadvantages, such as fuses, switches, etc.?

I assume that the logical place to mount it would be the trunk. Is it easy to run the positive cable from the alternator back into the trunk?

Would it be better to have a battery in the engine compartment and a battery in the trunk or both in the trunk?

Does the second battery need to be grounded to the negative terminal of the first, or is it alright to ground it to the chasis?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by nalc
Hello there,

I am a pretty new member. I have some questions about second batteries. I did some research here, but most of the posts seemed to be for high-power audio applications.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I have two batteries for my Max. Had some bad problems a few months back. Battery fell apart while on a trip to NY. Replaced it with a battery from a local shop. Few months later, Nissan techs say that the battery is broken, so I get a replacement. There had been a lot of weird stalling/not starting more than X times per day problems. The new battery fixes it, but I've got a broken battery in my garage. I finally head back up to NY with it, and while they won't refund me, they did give me a new one.

So now I've got a brand spankin' new battery sitting in my garage, and nothing to use it for.

So, my questions are these:

Is there any disadvantage to having a pair of batteries in parallel running off of the stock alternator?

If so, what is necessary to reduce those disadvantages, such as fuses, switches, etc.?

I assume that the logical place to mount it would be the trunk. Is it easy to run the positive cable from the alternator back into the trunk?

Would it be better to have a battery in the engine compartment and a battery in the trunk or both in the trunk?

Does the second battery need to be grounded to the negative terminal of the first, or is it alright to ground it to the chasis?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Why do you want a second bettery??
Old 07-20-2006, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by 505max94se
Why do you want a second bettery??
From his story, it sounds like he has (doesn't really want) a brand new second battery, and would rather put it to use than let it sit and go to waste.

I don't really have any answers to your questions, but I do know that a lot of the bigger trucks have two batteries. So, you might want to take a look at one, and see if they do anything special with switches/fuzes/whatnot.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:25 AM

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ult...c;f=5;t=009326

read that post, i have 2 batteries in my car becasue i am pulling over 250amps for my system.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:33 PM

Do you think it's better to go all out with the soleniod or just do a simple marine battery switch, i.e. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...tery_setup.htm
Old 07-20-2006, 12:52 PM

i used the stinger 200 amp soleniod im not sure how good it would be to use the boat battery switch
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stinger-200-Amp-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 07-20-2006, 02:41 PM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

only problem with mounting in the trunk is the fumes. Reg batteries let off gas when charging that will kill you if inhaled. If it is going to be enclosed, in the trunk, etc it needs to be a sealed batt
Old 07-20-2006, 08:05 PM

Not sure if it's sealed. It's a plain vanilla battery, not one of those fancy spiral cell ones.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:00 PM

OT: No ****, cherry hill nj, I lived in Haddonfield for a year back in '95.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by scubasteve
only problem with mounting in the trunk is the fumes. Reg batteries let off gas when charging that will kill you if inhaled. If it is going to be enclosed, in the trunk, etc it needs to be a sealed batt
hehe I don't know about killing you. It gives off hydrogen gas which is flammable. But alot of import cars, usually european keep the batteries either under the rear seat or in the trunk.. Explain that one.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:21 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by talisman311
hehe I don't know about killing you. It gives off hydrogen gas which is flammable. But alot of import cars, usually european keep the batteries either under the rear seat or in the trunk.. Explain that one.
Usually when you get a second battery you care enough for audio to make sure BOTH your batts are Optimas.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:22 AM
Suspension Yoda

To the original poster,

you have ABSOLUTELY no need for a second battery. All it would do is tax your alternator. Save it or sell it.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Usually when you get a second battery you care enough for audio to make sure BOTH your batts are Optimas.

defintly
Old 07-21-2006, 07:52 AM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

Originally Posted by talisman311

europeans also dont live as long as us americans. The hydrogen gas is extremely toxic and if your exposed to it enough or in enough of an extreme than it can absolutely kill you.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:58 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by scubasteve
europeans also dont live as long as us americans.
Worst logic EVAR.

He's talking about European cars, like BMW, not European people.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:06 AM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

it was a joke.....i guess some people might miss that