Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

funky noise when i turn on head unit. help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 07:57 PM

for some reason my car makes this really annoying whirring noise. the whirring noise matches exactly with my accelerator. the harder I accelerate the louder the whirring noise gets. not sure if this is audio related but i noticed it only happens when my system is turned on.

my only option right now is blasting the music to drown out the noise but i'm going deaf! anyone have a guess on what's going on? thanks
Old 06-27-2001, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by jjcmax
for some reason my car makes this really annoying whirring noise. the whirring noise matches exactly with my accelerator. the harder I accelerate the louder the whirring noise gets. not sure if this is audio related but i noticed it only happens when my system is turned on.

my only option right now is blasting the music to drown out the noise but i'm going deaf! anyone have a guess on what's going on? thanks
I'm assuming you have an aftermarket system with amps 'n all. Sounds like you're hearing what's called engine noise...
first try to move the ground; make it as short as possible with the same gauge wire as the power wire. Next, adjust the gains on the amps. If none of these gets rid of the noise, you may want to consider a new alternator...
Old 06-28-2001, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by jashick

I'm assuming you have an aftermarket system with amps 'n all. Sounds like you're hearing what's called engine noise...
first try to move the ground; make it as short as possible with the same gauge wire as the power wire. Next, adjust the gains on the amps. If none of these gets rid of the noise, you may want to consider a new alternator...
Also try to reroute your cables,
better shielded rca's... do all the little
things before considering the alternator
Old 06-28-2001, 09:07 AM

Sounds like alternator whine to me. If you've upgraded the Audio system to an aftermarket system then you most likely have created a ground loop that's causing this noise.

You need to find the source of this noise (headunit, amp, or signal processor) and change the ground point.

To troubleshoot this visit the following link.
www.termpro.com/articles/noise.html
Old 07-29-2001, 11:17 PM

hey, i had the same problem. i also have an aftermarket system and somehow, my noise was tied to the dimmer. so i turned it off and the annoying noise abated.