Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Trunk light... no juice??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 04:37 PM
I aim to misbehave.

I just realized that my trunk light isn't working. I don't know if it ever worked, as I bought the car used a couple of years ago. I replaced the bulb and it still isn't working, so my question is this:

What should I check? Where does the power line go through the car? I assume something just came loose.

Thanks,

Speebs
Old 06-29-2001, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by Speebs
I just realized that my trunk light isn't working. I don't know if it ever worked, as I bought the car used a couple of years ago. I replaced the bulb and it still isn't working, so my question is this:

What should I check? Where does the power line go through the car? I assume something just came loose.

Thanks,

Speebs
Did you notice any other light not working?
Did you check the fuse?
Old 06-29-2001, 12:26 PM
I aim to misbehave.

Originally posted by jashick

Did you notice any other light not working?
Did you check the fuse?
All other lights seem to be working fine. I haven't yet checked the fuse, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'll check that, but I'm completely ignorant; what am I looking for (how can I tell if there's something wrong with the fuse)??

Thanks
Old 06-29-2001, 04:01 PM

All other lights seem to be working fine. I haven't yet checked the fuse, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'll check that, but I'm completely ignorant; what am I looking for (how can I tell if there's something wrong with the fuse)??

Thanks
Get a hold of a multimeter and do a continuity test from the two seperate contacts. If there is continuity the fuse is ok. If not, the fuse is blown. So check it out and replace if necessary.
If the fuse is good, then take the multimeter and check the voltage at the trunk light socket.
Old 06-29-2001, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by jashick

Get a hold of a multimeter and do a continuity test from the two seperate contacts. If there is continuity the fuse is ok. If not, the fuse is blown. So check it out and replace if necessary.
If the fuse is good, then take the multimeter and check the voltage at the trunk light socket.
theres no way that nissan used a seperate fuse to power a TRUNK LIGHT!!!! check the switch that activates the light, it may be gummed up and not opening all the way
Old 06-30-2001, 10:35 AM

Originally posted by niceorange

theres no way that nissan used a seperate fuse to power a TRUNK LIGHT!!!! check the switch that activates the light, it may be gummed up and not opening all the way
Do you have a 3rd or 4th gen? i ask this because i was told that in the third gens, the problem is in the trunk latch on the trunk lid. I have the same problem with mine. I guess thats what the problem is. At first, it would go on and off when I opened the trunk, but now it just doesnt turn on...I am replacing my latch with a power latch anyway, so i'll let you know if that fixes the problem. Later
Old 06-30-2001, 12:55 PM
I aim to misbehave.

4th gen...

it's a 95 GXE
Old 06-30-2001, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by niceorange

That's why I asked if other lights were working
Old 07-02-2001, 03:07 PM
I aim to misbehave.

what am I looking for on the latch? Things seem to move fine, but the light still ain't workin'.
Old 07-02-2001, 07:56 PM

Related questions

I blew this whole circuit hooking up some neon this weekend, which prompts the following questions:
- Which fuse is this on? My interior dome and map lights are also out.
- Which of the trunk light contacts is the positive one? (I know, I know, use a multimeter; but mine's dead.)
Old 07-02-2001, 10:24 PM

what am I looking for on the latch? Things seem to move fine, but the light still ain't workin'.
I asked myself that same question...I looked at the latch and it seemed fine, but I figure I'll replace it anyway.
Old 07-03-2001, 09:13 AM

Dunno about the 4th gen, but on the 5th gen, in the latch area (not the actual latch itself), there's a rectangular switch that activates or deactivates depending on whether the trunk is open or closed. Same concept as the doors turning on/off the interior.

Botos, as far as trunk light contacts are concerned,
I would assume the solid black wire is ground...
but like said, verify with multimeter.