Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Remote Starter Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 03:52 PM

Remote Starter Issue

I hooked my remote starter up, everything works great except for this one thing: If I remote start my car, then put the key in the ignition and rotate the key to the RUN position - so I can put it in gear - the car turns off. So I'm having to turn my car off everytime before I start it with the key. Little inconvenient. I'd rather not have to double start. Mainly because of the wear and tear.

My friend said it has something to do with it being a security feature? Can I fix this problem? Am I doing something wrong? If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:05 PM
tastey wheat

has nothing to do with security, 97's (im assuming thats what you put it in) don't have chips in the key.

check your connections twice?

what kind of remote starter is it?
Old 11-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have an AstroStart that has 20 reasons why the car didn't....start/fail/etc. See if your book has something similar. I think mine flashes the lights or the remote blinks upon which fault code it is.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:03 AM

It's on a 97 maxima, yeah.

It's an old old starter...about 5 years old. It's a DesignTech remote starter. Model #20921

It does have a diagnoses chart where the LED will blink x amount of times to show what happened if the starter turned off. None of them make sense or apply.

I'll check their website before I close everything up in the car.

And yes, I double checked all of the wiring. There is SUPPOSE to be a ignition 2 hook up, but as you know there is no ignition 2 on our car. Maybe that has something to do with it? That's all i can think of. I just left that wire off, since there is nowhere to put it. Maybe take the ignition 2 output and splice it into the ignition 1 input on the harness. I dont know, i'm just guessing really.

what do you think?
Old 11-06-2006, 10:30 AM

Another problem is the break cut-off feature. I didn't hook that up because i'm getting a constant voltage from the "brake wire". It's suppose to register voltage ONLY when the brake pedal is depressed, right?

"RED/GREEN" + wire at switch aove brake pedal. I tapped that, but there's constant voltage! WEIRD! That's the only switch I see above the brake pedal with a green wire and red stripe. or maybe it was red wire and green stripe. Either way. There are three wires that go into the switch, right? I'm at the rigght place, aren't I?

Well i'm going to hook up the lights, antenna, mount the switch, close some stuff off etc...any more suggestions on any of the above would be sweet.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:21 AM

Yes, your factory brake wire should only register voltage when the brake is depressed. If it registers voltage all the time, this means that your brake lights are always on whenever the key is on the on position, whether or not you are pushing the brake pedal...? If so, get your car fixed asap. If not, youve tapped the wrong wire. Find the right wire, tap it, and Ill bet itll solve your problems.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

+1 for kpr10is that was what i was going to suggest but you got to it before me. But let me tell you that brake wire is a ***** in the maxima prepare for a battle!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:32 PM

"If not, youve tapped the wrong wire. Find the right wire, tap it, and Ill bet itll solve your problems."

Thanks, I fixed that problem. I was tapping the wrong wire. It was a pain in the *** to get to with virtually no slack and plastic tubing and electrical tape wrapped around it...Now it does what it's suppose to do: Turn the car off if you depress the brake when starting remotely.

I'm still having the problem when i start the car remotely and I insert the key in the ignition and turn it to the 'on' position and the car turns off. I can only take random guesses at this point :-(. I'm sure i'll get it some how.

suggestions suggestions....thanks.

Oh by the way, the diagnostic code is telling me that it has received a signal from another remote starter. AKA: the key in the ignition. It's some how cancelling out the remote starter - sending it a signal to turn off. Hmmmm.