Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

staging issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

staging issue

im stuck on this problem. in the rears i installed components, i desided to mount the tweets behind the rear headrest on the pillers. now it sounds like everything in the rear is comeing in as a mono channel in the center of the car. basicly im trying to seperate the rears so in the driver and passanger seat it sounds more stereo. do you think if i found a way of pointing the tweeters at the back of the headrests it would seperate it more? there at a 45* angle pointing pretty much at the center of the car. i shut the back tweeters off and it fixed the stage issue but the highs sounded drowned out (to much mid and bass). probably one of those problems that im screwed with. well if anyone could give me an sugestions that would help.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:05 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

What did you expect when you pointed them to the center of the car? Was there a reason you decided to destroy your front stage with rear components?

I would move the tweets to face the rear window, that should cancel out the centered image.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:49 PM

hey i never claimed to be an expert with this stuff. i can easly reposition them any direction, so if i rotated them to be backwards so they point straight back at the window, it will cancel it out? and i went with components in the back because i thought if you brought all the tweeters up to ear level it allowed better highs because tweeters are highly directional. if im wrong please let me know. im just going by what ive read on the net.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:17 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

It is wrong, because having the highs be at eye level is not necessarily a function of having the tweets physically that high, it also has to do with the install and the angle of the tweet.

What I would do is remove the tweets from the rear setup. Leave just the front components, and modify the position until the driver side tweeter is pointed towards the passengers head rest and vice versa.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:24 PM

ya thats how i set up the fronts, driver side to passager head rest and vise versa, but without the rear tweets it sounds funny because the highs arnt high enough, and it comes from infront of you while everything else surounds you....i guess in the end it sounds like i have to make a sacrifice either way. was hopeing there was an easy solution to keep all running.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:00 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

I mean technically you don't want a surround sound atmosphere in the car... but if that's what your aiming for leave the rear ones in I guess...

What amp do you have powering the components?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:57 PM

i have a kicker zx750.5 so its kicking 70rms to each speaker. but it doesnt sound suround sound just sounds like the rear 2 are a mono speaker while in the front you have left and right. so if you had a right channel only and you were driving, you would hear the channel comeing from both sides, but if you heard a left channel only, it would only come from the left. i mean its really not a big deal but i do have a few cd's were they actualy use the stereo abuility of audio systems. things like a simple pan from left to right with the audio. but right now it sounds like center to left. but if your in the back seat, there is no problem.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Lil 8

Originally Posted by arkainshadow
im stuck on this problem. in the rears i installed components, i desided to mount the tweets behind the rear headrest on the pillers. now it sounds like everything in the rear is comeing in as a mono channel in the center of the car. basicly im trying to seperate the rears so in the driver and passanger seat it sounds more stereo. do you think if i found a way of pointing the tweeters at the back of the headrests it would seperate it more? there at a 45* angle pointing pretty much at the center of the car. i shut the back tweeters off and it fixed the stage issue but the highs sounded drowned out (to much mid and bass). probably one of those problems that im screwed with. well if anyone could give me an sugestions that would help.

hey arkainshadow.... no worries check my cardomain site i had a great front and rear soundstage, and i am not just saying that. Anyone that got into the car loved the sound. natural, accurate, no distortion!!! in your set-up the speakers are too close to your ears the ones on the pillars. move them further foward, but still keep them high in location. your ears are not by your ankles!!!!!! also if your HU has staging delay, use that to increase the delay on your left sides of your front stage. being that the sound from those speakers has the shortest distance to travel to your ears. play around and see what you can come up with

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273358/2

hope that helps some
Old 03-28-2007, 04:44 PM

i think i fixed it, i took the crossovers wich lets me adjust woofer and tweeter both -1 to -6 db and i set the tweeters from 0 to -2 db, i then adusted them so that they faced the headrest of the seat infront of them , i kept the front tweets pointed at the headrest across from them. sounds greate in the front. back seat people have a tweeter now blowing in there ear... but screw freeloafing backseat passangers. now the problem im having is the front doors are cancleing more than the rears, probably from all the hard plastic on the dash, but when you crank the bass up high enough, set the crossovers to 50hz or higher, its not a problem. overall i think im done.