Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

frustrated, Bose 92 se. Attempt to bypass = FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:40 PM

frustrated, Bose 92 se. Attempt to bypass = FAIL

I just installed a nice Apline HU. Wired up right, it powers up, the power antenna is working. I got the ipod cord semi tucked away for now.

SO basically everything is wired correctly, ive installed my own systems before.
But, no sound, very very very quiet.. from aftermarket speakers I connected in the trunk (from the stock 6x9 speaker wire) < is that my problem, the stock wire? Shouldnt be.

I bought this kit.
http://www.soundoffaudio.com/item.cfm/id/2256

with the "smart adapter" for 88-94 Nissan/Infinity, well the smart clip/adapter fit perfectly right to the existing harness inside the dash.

So where did I go wrong? I thought that kit above is suppose to bypass the Bose amp?

FYI i got the bypass kit MUCH cheaper than listed there from ebay, total was $40. Did I waste 40 bucks?

Should I just clip off the stock harness and rewire it myself? Wouldnt be that hard for me, but the smart clip alone should do that for me then, just not use the SVEN4 main unit?

Im confused, and really dont wanna spend ALOT of money just to let someone else fix this.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:34 PM

after looking at a diagram, i believe its possible the smart clip may leave the factory amp wire, i may have connected it, remote wire. ahaha. i think maybe thats it, to late to go at it again now, i will again tomorrow

btw, taking off the door panel is a pain! i couldnt do it, i got stuck on the housing for the power windows, that long plastic piece. fked me all up
so i gave up on that for now
Old 04-24-2007, 12:50 AM

are you using your own amp or do you intend to power the speakers off the head unit? those are usually used when adding an amp to your system.

from what i read, i'm guessing you're trying to power off the hu and use the existing wires. i didn't have bose, but i believe you have to actually clip the wires to bypass the amp. cut the wires before the amp and connect those to the aftermarket speakers.

here's a tip you may have overlooked. ground the headunit to the metal frame. if you look at the other side of the harness, the ground wire isn't connected.

to get the door panel off, visit craig brace's site -> http://www.geocities.com/craigbrace/
go to the "how to" section. then look up the window regulator removal.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:59 AM

Holy christ. Where to begin. Dude, please search before you undertake a project like this next time.
Originally Posted by MaximaN00b
SO basically everything is wired correctly, ive installed my own systems before.
Apparently its not wired correctly, or else this thread wouldnt be here.
But, no sound, very very very quiet.. from aftermarket speakers I connected in the trunk (from the stock 6x9 speaker wire) < is that my problem, the stock wire? Shouldnt be.
That depends. Is the stock wire going to your new speakers coming from before or after the Bose amp?
So where did I go wrong? I thought that kit above is suppose to bypass the Bose amp?
How would a module in your dash bypass amps at each speaker? Think logically here...
The kit says right on that page that it is used for putting factory premium speakers on a aftermarket kead unit, or a factory head unit on aftermarket speakers. From what I can tell from your posts, you are replacing both head unit and speakers, so this would obviously not be what you need.
FYI i got the bypass kit MUCH cheaper than listed there from ebay, total was $40. Did I waste 40 bucks?
Yes.
Should I just clip off the stock harness and rewire it myself? Wouldnt be that hard for me, but the smart clip alone should do that for me then, just not use the SVEN4 main unit?
No. You shouldnt ever cut off the stock harness, and theres no need to run all new wire, especially using head unit power.

Each amp at each speaker has 4 wires going into it. Power, ground, and 2 signal wires which come directly from the dash harness. All you needed to do was tap into those speaker wires when installing your speakers and call it a day.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:07 AM

funny. i almost posted those exact words, but deleted them 'cause i was in a good mood.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:09 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Kevin covered it so I can be nice.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by maximal
are you using your own amp or do you intend to power the speakers off the head unit? those are usually used when adding an amp to your system.

from what i read, i'm guessing you're trying to power off the hu and use the existing wires. i didn't have bose, but i believe you have to actually clip the wires to bypass the amp. cut the wires before the amp and connect those to the aftermarket speakers.

here's a tip you may have overlooked. ground the headunit to the metal frame. if you look at the other side of the harness, the ground wire isn't connected.

to get the door panel off, visit craig brace's site -> http://www.geocities.com/craigbrace/
go to the "how to" section. then look up the window regulator removal.
ah thats what had me stuck, i looked it up from another source, and it says nothing about removing the window regulator.
thanks for that, now i'll be able to replace the fronts today.

yes im powering from the HU, no amp, no subwoofer, so no need really. In the future i will add an amp though.
Thats why i was saying, i think i connected the remote wire, which goes to the amp, the bose amp, so its powering them, or trying to. I think and hope.. cause its an easy fix that way, and im about to find out in a min when i head outside.

oh and, its definitely grounded
Old 04-24-2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by kpr10is
Holy christ. Where to begin. Dude, please search before you undertake a project like this next time.
It's not such a project, i know what im doing. If not id have blown the head unit. Thanks for treating me as if im a complete dumbass though

Apparently its not wired correctly, or else this thread wouldnt be here.
The HU IS!

That depends. Is the stock wire going to your new speakers coming from before or after the Bose amp?
Before, I clipped the wires, unplugged the harness to the amp.

How would a module in your dash bypass amps at each speaker? Think logically here...
The kit says right on that page that it is used for putting factory premium speakers on a aftermarket kead unit, or a factory head unit on aftermarket speakers. From what I can tell from your posts, you are replacing both head unit and speakers, so this would obviously not be what you need.

[
Yes.
yea i think i did waste 40 bucks. lol

No. You shouldnt ever cut off the stock harness, and theres no need to run all new wire, especially using head unit power.

Each amp at each speaker has 4 wires going into it. Power, ground, and 2 signal wires which come directly from the dash harness. All you needed to do was tap into those speaker wires when installing your speakers and call it a day.
Did that.

See, im not THAT dumb?

Maybe the front speakers need to be disconnected before the rears will get sound..

well thats my goal now, make sure the remotes not going someplace it shouldnt be, and get rid of the front amped Bose speakers. I think its possible that since theyre still in there, the rears wont work either.. Even though I have the power+ground from the rears disconnected, and just used the speaker wire.

I knew id get picked on alil bit, so im good
Old 04-24-2007, 03:38 PM

If you already did this as you say, then just get rid of the $40 piece of junk in the dash and everything should start working. Just wire up the head unit's harness straight to the aftermarket Nissan harness that plugs into the stock wiring. Your remote wire shouldnt matter since you are using no amps besides the one internally of the head unit.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:00 PM

btw, taking off the door panel is a pain! i couldnt do it, i got stuck on the housing for the power windows, that long plastic piece. fked me all up
so i gave up on that for now
what long plastic piece? the 3rd gen door panel is pretty easy to take off. i can probably do it blindfolded.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:51 PM

fixed, it was this fkin thing http://www.soundoffaudio.com/item.cfm/id/2256

i got a nice surprise too, i had aftermarket Apline speakers already in my car LOL. Ive only owned this car for about a week and a half. So I just assumed it was still Bose speakers. The Alpines were still plugged into the amp, probably why the system was not working right to begin with. Replaced the fronts cause I already bought a pair of Rockfords, left the 6x9s, cause I dont have the money to replace them yet, but I was going to hook up some old truck box subwoofers with 6" speakers in the back.. now i got the Alpines going, they sound good

The guy at circuit city lead me to buy that kinda harness, he said there was an "amp behind the headunit, it needed to be bypassed" So i bought that stuff.

thx alot to the guy who gave me the link for removing the door panels, made it a breeze.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
what long plastic piece? the 3rd gen door panel is pretty easy to take off. i can probably do it blindfolded.
the power windows/door locks assembly.
I didnt see the removable piece of plastic right in the door level spot.
oops