Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Adding 2 more speakers to a 5.5Gen??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 10:54 PM

Adding 2 more speakers to a 5.5Gen??

Non bose!!

Everyone knows that the 6.5 speakers on 4 doors sounds okay along with the tweeters in the front.
I recently witched to a Pioneer Deck, with pioneer 4 way speakers and pyle 2 way speakers. I wanted to know If adding 2 more speakers to the back would be a good idea.

I plan on getting subs and amps for my car in the future.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:11 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

A good set of components and a competent amp to run them and call it a day. No need for rear and Definately no need to 'add' more to whats already there.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:58 PM

more speakers will not make the system any better, it will all blend anyways.

best bang for ur buck is a sub and amp combo
Old 06-17-2007, 08:43 AM

all depends on what you want out of it
Old 06-17-2007, 08:49 AM

I wouldnt get more crisp vocal sound from the 2 additional speakers in the back?

I mean all my speakers are by your feet. adding 2 to the back so it's level with your head wouldnt get better sound nor make a difference?

Because when i get my sub and amp combo i want to be able to hear the lyrics clearly and not have to struggle to hear them over the bass.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No speakers in the back = all passengers hear is bass. I've sat in the back in my own car, and i can hardly hear anything but boom boom boom.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:45 PM

would adding 2 tweeters to tha back a better idea rather than cuttin holes for 2 speakers??
Old 06-17-2007, 02:05 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Adding two tweeters would be a worse idea than cutting holes.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:24 PM

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother...
Old 06-17-2007, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Hey man you were young once too right. You can explain all you want but people don't listen. They don't read to know how things work even though there's plenty of info posted.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:23 PM

because you do this for a living.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by brusk
Hey man you were young once too right. You can explain all you want but people don't listen. They don't read to know how things work even though there's plenty of info posted.

Yes I was, but also willing to learn. I wouldnt ask a question, get my answer and then blantantly disregard it. Dunno whats going on with todays youth..
Old 06-17-2007, 08:32 PM

You know, when someone asks a question about something... chances are they know nothing about it, usually in forums, people that answer those questions usually base it upon opinion or knowledge. There are cars that have 6-speakers 8 speakers... that doesnt make a difference in sound quality??

I never blatantly disregarded anyones answer... im just asking more to fully understand 100%.

Your idea of an amp is a great idea... I was already considering getting one for my new speakers.

Sorry that I don't know everything like you, and ask questions just to clarify everything.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by babyboyws6
You know, when someone asks a question about something... chances are they know nothing about it, usually in forums, people that answer those questions usually base it upon opinion or knowledge. There are cars that have 6-speakers 8 speakers... that doesnt make a difference in sound quality??

I never blatantly disregarded anyones answer... im just asking more to fully understand 100%.

Your idea of an amp is a great idea... I was already considering getting one for my new speakers.

Sorry that I don't know everything like you, and ask questions just to clarify everything.

When you ask and the same answers are repeated several times and you continue to ask, thats a blantant disregard.

6 speakers, 8 speakers, 500 speakers = NO there is not a difference in QUALITY. In most cases its a feable attempt to make up for LACK of quality.

Theres really no need for your sarcasm, continue and your time here will be short lived.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:08 PM

When you ask and the same answers are repeated several times and you continue to ask, thats a blantant disregard.

6 speakers, 8 speakers, 500 speakers = NO there is not a difference in QUALITY. In most cases its a feable attempt to make up for LACK of quality.

Theres really no need for your sarcasm, continue and your time here will be short lived.
you mean feeble?
any way, i wouldnt hear things better if more speakers were added to the back... not even tweeters to the back, because why.... i still havent received a clear answer even thru all this garbage tawk.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:33 PM

You mean talk?

Yes I can be a smartass too.

Ya know what ... go for it, try it, hope you like it. Regardless more speakers will not make anything sound better. Since your so dead set on doing it, why dont you share your reasoning of why you even think this would work?
Old 06-17-2007, 09:56 PM

You mean talk?

Yes I can be a smartass too.

Ya know what ... go for it, try it, hope you like it. Regardless more speakers will not make anything sound better. Since your so dead set on doing it, why dont you share your reasoning of why you even think this would work?
Umn more speakers means it will be louder and thus can be heard better...
Old 06-17-2007, 10:11 PM

Don, he has a point. All of us 'noobs' base our questions on whatever little experience we have. To me 8 speakers in a friend's lexus sounded better than what i got right now (sitting in the back, components in front, subs in trunk). Maybe its bad tuning, but you dont even take the time to explain that, much less take a look at it like I've been begging for weeks.

I know you all got your clicks around here, a bunch of guys who know everything. And then there's the rest of us, hearing 'NO you dont need that', or 'Go search on your own'. I do read a lot here, but I never saw a meaningful answer that question. Now go ahead, throw rocks at me, I got really thick skin
Old 06-17-2007, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by slickrick
Umn more speakers means it will be louder and thus can be heard better...
Yes thats part of my reasoning. If you have 2 speakers 100watt each = 200w total. 4 speakers = 400w total = louder music.

Then there's also the location of where the sound is coming from - more speakers = better surround sound. Like if you have 4 speakers and you fade between the front and back, it sounds like crap untill you center it at your head. Same idea with TV's and home theaters. We had a crappy speakers built into our TV's for a long time, but now people upgrade to 5.1, 7.1, etc, surround sound speakers, and it sounds way better than just 2.

There, I explained my point of view. I realize it might be complete BS, but should be enough info to prove me wrong.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:13 AM

slickrick Romster ... PREACH!!!!!
I couldn't have said it any better myself.
louder music = satisfaction.

So i gather that adding 2 additional speakers ... (Pioneer 3-way 220W are treating me really good, and i like their sound so i think i will go with another pair of those) will result in a louder system, giving you more of a surrounding sound....?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:21 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Here's the thing: you want to have a soundstage that presents itself to you like a stage. You don't want things behind you detracting from the front sound. So the addition of tweets and/or coaxials in the back will only detract from the pure sound you can get from a good set of components up front.

That said, our suggestion to you is to add a good set of components up front with an amp, leave the back stock or remove it altogether as many of us have done. You can also replace the rears with something that has no tweets just a midbass for instance woujld be ideal with either it being faded up front or very low power going to it from an amplifier.

Why would you want surround sound in your car? You going to have 5.1 or movies in there all the time?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Romster
Don, he has a point. All of us 'noobs' base our questions on whatever little experience we have. To me 8 speakers in a friend's lexus sounded better than what i got right now (sitting in the back, components in front, subs in trunk). Maybe its bad tuning, but you dont even take the time to explain that, much less take a look at it like I've been begging for weeks.

I know you all got your clicks around here, a bunch of guys who know everything. And then there's the rest of us, hearing 'NO you dont need that', or 'Go search on your own'. I do read a lot here, but I never saw a meaningful answer that question. Now go ahead, throw rocks at me, I got really thick skin

OK, apparently you have the same problem he has and thinks more equals better QUALITY. So are you saying I could not take a 4 speakers setup and not sound better than a 8-10-12 speakers selection? Ill take that bet. I dont know how many ways to put it, more drivers does Not increase quality. Positioning *may* make it seems better, superior drivers,power,processing can.

Begging for weeks? C'mon now. Does it make you feel better to exagerate? You first PMed with your problem the evening of 6/11, this is 6/18 it hasnt even been a full week ! If you want to make an attempt of an attack at least make your facts straight before doing so.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Romster
Yes thats part of my reasoning. If you have 2 speakers 100watt each = 200w total. 4 speakers = 400w total = louder music.

Then there's also the location of where the sound is coming from - more speakers = better surround sound. Like if you have 4 speakers and you fade between the front and back, it sounds like crap untill you center it at your head. Same idea with TV's and home theaters. We had a crappy speakers built into our TV's for a long time, but now people upgrade to 5.1, 7.1, etc, surround sound speakers, and it sounds way better than just 2.

There, I explained my point of view. I realize it might be complete BS, but should be enough info to prove me wrong.

So in your vehicle you want a theatre or a concert? Last time I checked musicians performed at a concert and movies at a theatre. In your car your listening to music, not a movie. Even a 2 or 2.1 setup can sound better than the OEM drivers in a TV, but what did you do there? You added seperates and an amp. Hmm sounds pretty much like what I said in the begining. Are you trying to help me prove a point here now? Good, you just did. By adding seperates and an amp (receiver) you did what I suggested in my first post - eliminate the OEM and replace with components then add an amp. Were more speakers added there? NO, just better ones with amplification.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:05 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Someone woke up on the wrong side of teh garage today.......

No coffee yet?
Old 06-18-2007, 07:28 AM

Thanks for a good answer nismo.

I never said anything about QUALITY, since I do not know much about that topic, and I stayed quiet about it. What I did say was loudness.

Also I've never been at a concert, I went to clubs where you have speakers all around you.

OK, apparently you have the same problem he has and thinks more equals better QUALITY. So are you saying I could not take a 4 speakers setup and not sound better than a 8-10-12 speakers selection? Ill take that bet. I dont know how many ways to put it, more drivers does Not increase quality. Positioning *may* make it seems better, superior drivers,power,processing can.
All I said was I can't hear my 2 front speakers when I sit in the back...

Begging for weeks? C'mon now. Does it make you feel better to exagerate? You first PMed with your problem the evening of 6/11, this is 6/18 it hasnt even been a full week ! If you want to make an attempt of an attack at least make your facts straight before doing so.
Ok I admit I exagerrated here, and it definately wasn't an attack. I'm usually very patient so that was uncalled for.

Anyway, the point of my previous posts wasn't to argue, it was to start a discussion to explain a few things (even if it made me look dumb in the process).

Thanks for your time fella's
Old 06-18-2007, 07:52 AM

With the exception of the exageration I wouldnt call it "looking dumb". Questions are always welcome.

Now if you read back, the original posters questions regarded Quality, not loudness. In which case we answered exactly that. Could it be Potentially a bit louder? Sure, does that make it sound better? NO. Although its all in the eyes of the user. Maybe he *thinks* louder will be better and/or thats all he wants. For all we know he just wants an obnoxiously loud set or sets of speakers regardless of how they sound.

Still I answered the question regarding QUALITY.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:55 AM

Haha I guess my sarcasm wasn't picked up on...you can add 15 pioneer speakers in my car and ill still take my 4 germanium speakers anyday. A proper 2 way component set up front with proper amplification SHOULD satisfy most peoples need for loudness. Remember...clean sound is quieter to the ears than distorted music at the same volume level.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:54 AM

guess not

but I do agree with you, rainbows own anything you can put in the car. My sound line components sound awesome, and I've heard a lot of compliments about them. But the rest of my audio is old hand-me-down stuff that needs ...umm tuning I guess :P
Old 06-18-2007, 10:21 AM

Actually yeah i do plan on watching movies in my car, i mean im still in college and i got nuttin else to do between classes... so ima be watchin movies alot... so what??
you wanna tawk about obnoxious bro?? sum people dont like the sound of our music at all... we're all different... instead of being bloody **** about things calm down take your pill and just give your 2 cents and if u dont wanna bother then dont, whats the point in saying things that you know will aggravate someone?? your older than me and yet im giving you tips on how to behave? it's should be the other way. threaten me all you want about my short lived stay, once everyone see's why im banished they will look at you like, you got a stick u pya ***... all im saying is loosen the hell up, if u dont wanna answer the question no wunn got a gun to ya head tellin you to do so.

Plus surround sound is what you would want in your home theater wouldnt it be??? i got a home theater in my driveway that needs surround, im just seeing if it would be a good idea and how to go about it... Kind Sir....
Old 06-18-2007, 11:03 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Home does not = car.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by nismos14
Home does not = car.
Don't hate cuz I watch movies while driving.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:13 AM

First please take a course on proper grammar and punctuation, your posts will be Alot easier to read.

I gave my two cents and you questioned further, so I responded. Nothing more, nothing less.

So your planning on 5.1 in your car? You already have a center channel and amplification? How bout a sub? Most importantly what processing are you using? Surround sound does not equal just dropping in some speakers for the rear, but Im sure you know this.

You are certainly far from the position to tell me how to behave. As for people thinking that I was wrong for (if/when) banning you - I'd say you make it pretty clear that it's deserved. Im sure theres others that would have done it already, or at very least closed this thread.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by slickrick
Don't hate cuz I watch movies while driving.

Thats why your driving skills suXorz.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:30 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

I would've.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:32 PM

Oh boy, time to lay low for a while
Old 06-18-2007, 12:36 PM

once again too much ignorance around here. Well at least it's still better than the H/A forums.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

my experience was i ran just fronts for a while. as stated sucks for the passangers. then i added a second set of comps in the rear. took a long time to tune then but i think in my opinion louder. sq? no diffrense. staging? was a *****. but the increase in volume and the fact that it sounds greate in front and rear. worth it to me. also i use to have the feeling that all the highs came from infront of me, now its rounder.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

First please take a course on proper grammar and punctuation, your posts will be Alot easier to read.

I gave my two cents and you questioned further, so I responded. Nothing more, nothing less.

So your planning on 5.1 in your car? You already have a center channel and amplification? How bout a sub? Most importantly what processing are you using? Surround sound does not equal just dropping in some speakers for the rear, but Im sure you know this.

You are certainly far from the position to tell me how to behave. As for people thinking that I was wrong for (if/when) banning you - I'd say you make it pretty clear that it's deserved. Im sure theres others that would have done it already, or at very least closed this thread.
dont **** the D off.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by arkainshadow
my experience was i ran just fronts for a while. as stated sucks for the passangers. then i added a second set of comps in the rear. took a long time to tune then but i think in my opinion louder. sq? no diffrense. staging? was a *****. but the increase in volume and the fact that it sounds greate in front and rear. worth it to me. also i use to have the feeling that all the highs came from infront of me, now its rounder.
I know most people say only fronts are fine, but it does come down to preference (and thinking about passengers a little). I got enough highs in my car, so I might put the woofers in the back and call it a day.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:52 PM

my 2.1 sound system will sound better than ur 6.0 sound system hands down...just save up for things that we are say are good because you wont be dissapointed. If you were to listen to one of our sound systems you would see why we defend ourselves. Pearl96Max has been doing installations for a million of years and ur tryin to question him? Seems like u gots your cards wrong. In the end u will listen to music far more than movies cause you may end up in a ditch watching dvds all the time. relax and amp your front speakers instead of puttin more surround sound behind u.
i actually had to post on this thread...

Quick Reply: Adding 2 more speakers to a 5.5Gen??