Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Adding Tweeters to a basic audio system

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 07:33 PM

Adding Tweeters to a basic audio system

I was just wondering the easiest, most basic way to add in a set of tweeters (pioneer TS-T110's) to the basic audio system in my 98 max. What I mean by basic audio system is:
an aftermarket (Alpine CDA-9847) head unit
4 replaced component speakers (Rockford Fosgate) in stock locations
2 subwoofers, running from a sony amp(yes, it sucks), in the trunk
(It orignated as a non-bose system)

I hate to admit to it, but I had Best Buy install the system the first time, except for the rear speakers, so I don't know too much about how it's all wired up. I just wanted to know whether it should just be running some wire to some outputs and plugging it all in, or if I am going to need to get a separate amp to power them. I think that this would have to do with the head unit, but I really don't know too much about it. The tweeters already have crossovers in-line. I'm not too bad with electrical work, given that I'm going to school for computer engineering, but I don't know much about audio system wiring. I mostly know that my system has the bass overpowering the highs right now, and I hope this is an easy fix.

Please, I know that my system does not even come close to being good, nor is my knowledge what it should be. Please try not to make fun of me too badly. The components were suggested to me by a friend, whom I now know to be completely full of ****. However, being a college student, I can't afford to fully upgrade it, so I want to try to address the shortcomings.

If there is anything I have not mentioned, let me know, and I can get you the information right away. I thank you very much for the help in advance.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:45 PM

this thread will self destruct in 5 seconds
Old 07-29-2007, 09:02 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Noone is going to make fun of you for asking legitimate questions. The time when the poking jokes is when you Act like you know all..

As for the issue at hand, you said you already have components up front, did you mean coaxials? Are they cocentrically located tweeters on a cone? If so, then adding tweets would not benefit much and in fact will place more strain on the HU. Best advice would be to invest into a set of 'budget' entry level comps and a small amp to drive them. Your ears will thank you for it.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Noone is going to make fun of you for asking legitimate questions. The time when the poking jokes is when you Act like you know all..

.....Best advice would be to invest into a set of 'budget' entry level comps and a small amp to drive them. Your ears will thank you for it.
^
Old 07-30-2007, 06:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by hanjoe01
^
thanks for your post. YOU got only 12 more to go!

OP... Def. save up for a set of components + a small amp. AMP > headunit in almost all situations.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:23 PM

I should really clarify on the speakers that I have in there now. Now, I have a set of component speakers in the car, but they are only midranges. To be exact, they are 2 pairs of Rockford Fosgate T162C midranges, mounted in the stock locations.

So the best option for me would be to get an amp now, right? Any particular suggestions? I already have the tweeters, so would a 6-channel amp be the best answer or should I just get a 2-channel one and only power front speakers/tweeters or something? Or a 4-channel, and power tweets from the HU? And what type of amp is the best choice? I would like something fairly cheap, but not something I would regret buying, like my sony amp for the subwoofers.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:45 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by benson1127
I should really clarify on the speakers that I have in there now. Now, I have a set of component speakers in the car, but they are only midranges. To be exact, they are 2 pairs of Rockford Fosgate T162C midranges, mounted in the stock locations.

So the best option for me would be to get an amp now, right? Any particular suggestions? I already have the tweeters, so would a 6-channel amp be the best answer or should I just get a 2-channel one and only power front speakers/tweeters or something? Or a 4-channel, and power tweets from the HU? And what type of amp is the best choice? I would like something fairly cheap, but not something I would regret buying, like my sony amp for the subwoofers.
To clarify here what you have are coaxials, not components. The primary (larger driver) is also a midbass, not midrange although technically speaking its a fullrange.

Adding a tweeter would do more harm than good.

Adding an amp would help a bit. Changing to an actual set of components and an amp would help substantially.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:28 PM

^^ thats real talk, Im saving up for my amp. My comps sound really good now i can only imagin when i get the amp.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I also agree that you should not just add the tweeters to what you already have. Your options depend mostly on your budget.
1) Get a 4 channel amp and run your 4 main speakers from it
2) Get a 2 channel amp and a set of components for the front and run them from the amp, while the back 2 speakers are still run from the head unit
3) Get a 4 channel amp, a set of components for the front and run the components and rear speakers from it.
4) Get a 4 channel amp, a set of components for the front and a better set of coaxials for the rear and run all 4 from the amp.

etc.... (choices increase in cost from top to bottom, in case it's not obvious)

Bottom line here: Head units just don't have much juice to run speakers - Also, you normally don't want to add a tweeter to a system that doesn't have matched midranges because they won't blend together well. Unless, of course, you go the high end route and do a lot of research, tuning and equalization. =)
Old 07-31-2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bollwerk
I also agree that you should not just add the tweeters to what you already have. Your options depend mostly on your budget.
1) Get a 4 channel amp and run your 4 main speakers from it
2) Get a 2 channel amp and a set of components for the front and run them from the amp, while the back 2 speakers are still run from the head unit
3) Get a 4 channel amp, a set of components for the front and run the components and rear speakers from it.
4) Get a 4 channel amp, a set of components for the front and a better set of coaxials for the rear and run all 4 from the amp.

etc.... (choices increase in cost from top to bottom, in case it's not obvious)

Bottom line here: Head units just don't have much juice to run speakers - Also, you normally don't want to add a tweeter to a system that doesn't have matched midranges because they won't blend together well. Unless, of course, you go the high end route and do a lot of research, tuning and equalization. =)

well said... Im personally doing choice 4 ... wouldnt go to high in wattage for the speakers... 400 will do just fine.