Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Equalizer suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Equalizer suggestion?

My 99 Bose HU finally stopped working. I am just too lazy to repair it with "CD Err" code. Thus, I decided to replace the BOSE HU and keep the BOSE amps/speakers.

I have ordered a SONY CDX GT-310 HU, the Scosche OEM adapter with gain control and the attenna adapter from Crutchfield. It should arrive in one week.

Since I am not planning to install sub woofers, I think GT-310 is just meet my needs with one pair "preamp" output.

My major question is, with such set up, is it worthy to add an equalizer? Personally, I love the look of in-dash 1/2-DIN equalizer units such as Kenwood KGC-6042A. Also, I have more questions about equalizers:

1) Does it worth it? I mean, with BOSE amp/speakers, the sound quality improvement might be limited. However, I might dump all BOSE components later if they ever stop working in the future.

2) What equalizer to choose? in-dash unit or 20-band big one that can be mounted under seat? The GT-310 is single DIN unit. I will have one more DIN space available.

3) Should I stick with big names like Kenwood, Alpine, SONY, Clarion... or other brands floating around such as Phoenix Gold, EQX....? Forget about those "Made in China" cheapo like KOSS/BOSS/Lanzar or no name.

Please chime in and share your opinions/experiences, Maxima Audio gurus!!!

UPDATE: I ended up buying an used SONY XE-90 Mk II graphic 9-band EQ. It's on the way.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:33 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

You could have just gotten a GOOD headunit that has a built in eq.

If you're thinking about adding speakers and an amp later on then getting a headunit with a single set or pre-outs is a bad move.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by nismos14
You could have just gotten a GOOD headunit that has a built in eq.

If you're thinking about adding speakers and an amp later on then getting a headunit with a single set or pre-outs is a bad move.
Not quite understand. Please educate me.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:43 PM

After a lot of searching and reading, I think one set of preamp output is enough (for my general purpose use).

HU( preamp output, 1 pair RCA) -->

--> Equalizer--->(6 RCA, FR/FL/RR/RL speakers and SUB-R/SUB-L)-->

--> AMP ( FR/FL/RR/RL go to one, two or four AMP, SUB-R/SUB-L go to another AMP)-->

--> FR/FL/RR/RL speakers and SUB-R/SUB-L components

Is it correct?

If more than four speakers are ever expected, such as extra pair of tweeters, the second pair of preamp output would be required. That's all I understand.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:58 PM
tastey wheat

technically, you can only hook up 1 monoblock, or 1 2 channel amp from a deck with 1 pair preouts (you could split the RCA leads, but you'd be running mono). Optimally, 3 are needed - 1 set for fronts, one for rears (or just 4 channel in stereo), and the last set for a dedicated sub amp, and you'd be able to control the sub from the HU. this is what you needed if you were planning on digging that deep for a system.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by mendon99
technically, you can only hook up 1 monoblock, or 1 2 channel amp from a deck with 1 pair preouts (you could split the RCA leads, but you'd be running mono). Optimally, 3 are needed - 1 set for fronts, one for rears (or just 4 channel in stereo), and the last set for a dedicated sub amp, and you'd be able to control the sub from the HU. this is what you needed if you were planning on digging that deep for a system.

I understand what you mean. It's very true if I wish to connect HU to AMPs directly.

How about the external equalizer? Will it work as a preamp splitter that splits one pair input (from HU) into three pairs of output (front/rear/sub)?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:42 PM
tastey wheat

depends upon the unit.

Should have really just bought a unit with 3 pair preouts and a solid EQ.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by mendon99
depends upon the unit.

Should have really just bought a unit with 3 pair preouts and a solid EQ.
Yeah, the customer service/advisor of Crutchfield told the same story.