Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

stereo upgrade for I30????????

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 05:45 PM
maxxdout

hey everyone. First off let me start by saying im a vistor to this forum and i really like how it is put together. I am a regular on the Honda forum but needed some help with my fathers I30. This is somewhat a 2 part question. First: What changer can be controlled through the headunit if any? I dont want to go through the dealership to get it either and dont want to spend an arm and a leg. Second: From what he tells me(i dont live at home so i havnt actually messed with the car yet) the stereo is nice and all but lacks midrange, at least from what he is saying. Of course if it were me i wouldnt have a bose stereo but its not my car and im just trying to help. I need someone to take the time and patience to educate me on the workings of Bose audio. I use to work consumer electronics and i know that Bose stuff for homes is ok, but definatly overated and very tricky. Can i even swap speakers in front for something that can deliver better midrange? Or is this more trouble then its worth? Again, thanks for everyones help ahead of time.

PS: 2001 I30, but i dont know if that matters.

thanks,

Old 07-21-2001, 06:34 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Welcome to the forum!!
First off, The stock Nissan/Clarion deck will NOT control an aftermarket cd changer, and no adapter is made for it. If your Dad likes the stock deck, go with an fm modulated cd changer to where you dial in on a radio station and listen to your cd's through that radio station. Alpine would be a good choice. It retails for $249.99. The Bose speakers in your Dad's car are 1ohm drivers. You can't just replace a Bose speaker with an aftermarket speaker. There is an amplifier behind each Bose speaker to drive it. So the only logical way is to replace everything with all new equipment. Your Dad can replace your stock deck say with an Alpine tape deck with a cd changer in the trunk and run that through your Bose system with a special Bose interface. You said you used to be in the Consumer Electronics industry. What company did you work for? I work for a company out here in California called Tweeter. Let me know what you think.

Maximadave
Old 07-22-2001, 03:18 PM
maxxdout

thanks for the reply!!! WEll, first off it wasn't really industry. Let me rephrase that one some. I have worked in consumer electronic sales, for companies such as Best Buy, H.H. Gregg, and Circuit City. Best Buy by far was the best employee relations and support. I would definitely recommend working at a local Best Buy for the college guys like myself. The later two were not quite as good of experiences. I will not disparage either company directly but on many occasions I was told to stretch the truth and not to take as much time and care with customers purchasing "low dollar" merchandise. But enough about that.

So what you are telling me is that to simply remove the stock speakers would not work due to the fact that there are individual amps for each and that the impedance would be definitely off. So in order to swap speakers I would have to rewire alot. Well, that I don't want to do on my week vacation back home, but I can manage a FM modulated changer. I have a feeling it would have to be one of those anyway.

Old 07-22-2001, 03:58 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Good luck on your purchase. The Alpine fm modulated cd changer would be the best choice.