Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

6.75s in the armrest

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 06:43 AM
Steindawg

I recently removed my Kicker free-airs from the rear deck to have Kappas all the way around. Well now my Kickers are just gathering dust so I am entertaining the idea of mounting them in the slot behind the armrest in the back seat. Has anyone had any experience with putting speakers in that area? I know there isn't really any type of solid support so it would take some work, but I was curious to see if anyone else had tried something similar. Alternatively if someone is interested in my Kickers e-mail me and I will shoot you some pics. Thanks, CS

Old 08-01-2001, 03:24 PM
Disco Biscuit

well, you would have to build a baffle, but it could work. YOu would just loose the access hole. I would rather mount them in the top deck by cutting out a pair of holes in the middle of the back deck, and mounting them there.
Old 08-01-2001, 09:32 PM

yeah, just cut the speaker hole to the size of your speaker and connect the wires in back and you'll be good. Be careful, this may drop your ohmage of certain channels that lead to your headunit or amp that's powering the speakers!!!
Old 08-02-2001, 03:49 AM
Disco Biscuit

You cant run the Kickers of of the HU. Not enough power, especially if ou try "bridging" the HU. They are unable to handle the 2 ohm load. I'm asuming that steindawg has been runing them off of an amp.
Old 08-02-2001, 05:14 AM
Steindawg

Yes they would be on an amp

Originally posted by Whitemax
You cant run the Kickers of of the HU. Not enough power, especially if ou try "bridging" the HU. They are unable to handle the 2 ohm load. I'm asuming that steindawg has been runing them off of an amp.
Yeah they are free-air subwoofers, 100w RMS, they would sound like sh** off of the unit itself. That's another issue I have is I don't think my amp would give my Kappas enough power if I put all six speakers off of it. I would have the Kappas in series on one channel and the Kickers running off of the other. Its just a pioneer 35x4 and I doubt the Kappas would have much juice. I am looking for new subs and sub amp so I will probably wait till I get the new amp. So really its probably more of a temporary thing to fill the space between when I get my amp and when I get my subs. Has anyone had any experience with the JBL loud n clear subs? Crutchfield has a sale- 2 12s for
89$. Seems like a decent sub, poly cone with butyl surround.