Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Replacing stock 95 SE bose CD player with a new HU?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 10:27 AM
I'm so hood

Hey guys. I think the stock bose system in my 95 SE sounds pretty nice and all, but in the near future I plan on putting my amp/sub in, and would like more control/features than the stock bose deck has to offer (bass, treble...w00p...)

I want to put my normal single-DIN Alpine CDA-7863 in there instead. I'm aware of the installation process in a normal car (Ive done hu installs in my older cars), but in chatting with a store owner thats a friend of my brothers, he claimed I need an adapter to hook the stock bose amp up to an aftermarket hu. I was aware of needing an adapter if you kept the bose deck and put an amp in, but is there another adapter needed to do what I want?

Any other tips or things I should be aware of? I'm going to have a different, more professional shop than the one my bros friend owns install the hu, and the amp/run wires for the amp (not to mention dynamat the trunk). Also, wheres a good place to mount an amp in the 4th gens? (Besides mounting to the sub box, not a practice I encourage)

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2001, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by blizz20oma
Hey guys. I think the stock bose system in my 95 SE sounds pretty nice and all, but in the near future I plan on putting my amp/sub in, and would like more control/features than the stock bose deck has to offer (bass, treble...w00p...)

I want to put my normal single-DIN Alpine CDA-7863 in there instead. I'm aware of the installation process in a normal car (Ive done hu installs in my older cars), but in chatting with a store owner thats a friend of my brothers, he claimed I need an adapter to hook the stock bose amp up to an aftermarket hu. I was aware of needing an adapter if you kept the bose deck and put an amp in, but is there another adapter needed to do what I want?

Any other tips or things I should be aware of? I'm going to have a different, more professional shop than the one my bros friend owns install the hu, and the amp/run wires for the amp (not to mention dynamat the trunk). Also, wheres a good place to mount an amp in the 4th gens? (Besides mounting to the sub box, not a practice I encourage)

Thanks!
Yes there is an adapter that is needed becasue the Bose speakers have their own individual amps and as such the Aftermarket H/U needs the adapter to properly utilize your Bose Speakers. If you look throughthe posts in this Forum there are other posts on this subject and links to places where you can get them. I know of one (Crutchfield) that offers them. Good Luck
Old 08-14-2001, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by JHOVAMAX

Yes there is an adapter that is needed becasue the Bose speakers have their own individual amps and as such the Aftermarket H/U needs the adapter to properly utilize your Bose Speakers. If you look throughthe posts in this Forum there are other posts on this subject and links to places where you can get them. I know of one (Crutchfield) that offers them. Good Luck
that's funny cuz i just replaced my Bose HU with Pioneer Deh-p730 Yesterday. The guy who did the install is friend of mine and does audio work and has been working with car audio and alarams for like 10 years. He has done hundreds of installs and when he installed mine i asked him if i needed to get an adapter but he said I DIDNT NEED ANY! he just cut the wires of the bose and connected with the new HU. I was right next to him when he did this so i know he didnt use any adapters. the only adapter he used was for radio signal. And it sounds nice with no adapter so i dont know if its needed.
Old 08-14-2001, 02:38 PM

Sucessfull install...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1Phat Max

that's funny cuz i just replaced my Bose HU with Pioneer Deh-p730 Yesterday. The guy who did the install is friend of mine and does audio work and has been working with car audio and alarams for like 10 years. He has done hundreds of installs and when he installed mine i asked him if i needed to get an adapter but he said I DIDNT NEED ANY! he just cut the wires of the bose and connected with the new HU. I was right next to him when he did this so i know he didnt use any adapters. the only adapter he used was for radio signal. And it sounds nice with no adapter so i dont know if its needed.
[/QUOTE

I dont know then I know that I have seen it on here before that becasue the Bose Speakers have their own amps that if you use a stock H/U that eventually something might go wrong becasue most H/U have teir own amp and the speakers have their own I thi k it might over load the speakers after extended play. Well if it works more power to you and I really hope nothing happens with your system. if you look on earlier posts for this subject you can find the anwser. Here are 2 links on the subject from prior questions like this one.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=BOSE

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=BOSE

-JHOVAMAX
Old 08-14-2001, 05:04 PM
I'm so hood

Thanks for the links

I understand that the bose speakers are powered by factory bose amps, but I don't really see how that turns into needing an adapter for an aftermarket hu. Actually, maybe I should ask this....what is my 4th-gen equipped with afa a factory amp(s)? If it was one amp, I wouldn't see any problem with just connecting it to my hu like a normal amp...well, I guess they probably don't have any RCA ins on the stock amp(s) probably. I'm guessing they just run speaker wire to the amp(s), and maybe a remote to get it/them to turn on. But maybe I'm wrong, because that idea would possibly leave out why the bose deck is able to fade and balance....

If you buy the adapter and get it installed, do the speakers function 'normally', ala front/rear fader controls work properly on a headunit? And the adapter is inline with the wire harness, so you wouldn't be using any RCA outs on your head unit?

Just trying to figure out the best way to get my sub/amp in, and to me, leaving the stock deck in (with its lack of features/control) isn't really an option. I'd probably like to try to keep the speakers stock if possible....some people say the adapter costs $100, so why not buy new speakers instead, but if I was going to throw down money on speakers, it'd be on a nice Focal comp set or something among those lines (a little ways away from $100).
Old 08-22-2001, 08:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

OK, I have a friend who put in an aftermarket HU in, to go with his stock BOSE speakers. He didn't use any adapters, just spliced right into the wiring. And it makes a POPPING noise at the speakers whenever he changes from radio to CD or vice-versa. He told me that if you do use an adapter, you won't get that popping noise. Any one know this to be true? OR, anywone know what the popping sound is attributed to?

Vin
Old 08-22-2001, 01:48 PM

I have aftermarket headunit (pioneer DEH-P730) and when i got it installed, the guy didnt use any adapters. he said he doesn't need to. He just spliced up the wires and it works perfect. I dont get any popping noice if i change from cd to radio or other way around. What kind of aftermarket HU your friend got?
Old 08-22-2001, 02:18 PM
I aim to misbehave.

Someone told me that you don't need an adapter if your headunit has a preamp out. Maybe that's why these guys are telling you that you didn't need an adapter?
Old 08-22-2001, 04:21 PM
I'm so hood

Hmm. I wouldn't think one pre-out would be sufficient - apparently I've come to learn that each bose speaker has its own separate "amp"...(not to mention active EQ...)

I called up my trustworthy shop and they said they don't recommend doing anything other than replacing the speakers. I mentioned the adapter and the guy was like "Yea, you can buy that, but some people still have problems even with the adapter." I dunno, I trust that place pretty well, they're pretty much a high-end only audio shop (Focal, mmats, Treo, Diamond, MBQ, etc), and the original competitor from the shop held the world dB record for a while a couple years back.

Dunno, I was thinking about doing this anyway (would rather save the headache now than a few months down the line when a bose speaker blows or something...although I like the way they sound :/ )
Old 08-22-2001, 05:15 PM

here is the answer:

u buy a head unit...u buy a wire harness....u match up the wire harness with ur new head unit wire harness....everything except for the speakers wires...u plug into the existing radio harness....now our bose speaker has like a 1 ohm load (i think)....u have to bypass the bose amp....run new speaker wires from ur bose speaker (w/out the bose amp) to the speaker output of the new head unit....and nissan has one of those funky antenna plugs that u have to buy an adaptor to match the aftermarket head unit...there are other options of wiring an aftermarket head unit with the existing bose speaker....i would attempt to explain it in words but it's too complicated....so this is the most simple explanation i could give....other ways are a little bit more complicated...hope this help....