Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Need Phoenix ZX450 Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 05:49 AM

Hello electronics enthusiasts, I have a Phoenix Gold ZX450 running all of my MB Quarts mids and highs, and for some reason this morning I heard a little "pop-pop" and then nothing, the system shut off. The cd player is still on, but no sound is currently running through the speakers, however, I can hear low volume little-clicks from them. I went into the back of my trunk to check the amp out, and there is a light switching on and off beween PVL and PWR. It just switches indefinitely between the PVL light, and the PWR light. So, what does this mean? Does this mean that I blew a fuse? I blew my amp? Any suggestons would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

G
Old 08-24-2001, 11:35 AM
jmax

Okay, is that the red or yellow light? Standby, I'm going out to the car to see if these are labeled on my ZX475Ti.

Nope, just Thermal and Overload. My guess would be that the red overload is protecting the system. You've either got too many speakers hooked up in parallel, exceeding the current limit of the amp, a short in the speaker wiring, or one or more damaged speakers. It's not the fuse because there is none built in. If you have one externally, as all amps should have, you would not have any power to light any of the leds.

Also you could be below the voltage requirements of the amp. So it can't turn on. Is your battery dead? Nearly dead? What's the voltage across the battery posts? Across the amp power terminals? The more I think about it the more it sounds like this last problem. Bad battery, wiring or possibly alternator or regulator.