Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Question about rewiring ignition so it's not as easy to start the car... >>>

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2001, 06:28 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Hi, I'm not saying I want to do this but... I was working yesturday night and we got a new Pathfinder in, the owner of which was telling me how to start the car, you need to depress the brake and push the dash-dim switch up and hold it that way... I was like WTF is this guy talking about but then I tried to start it the regular way, it didn't react, then I followed what he told me and it worked. It was interesting, I talked to the guy for a little bit when giving it back, he said he had a mechanic do it for him, the car has like 2k miles on it, 2001 Pathfinder... He also said in his other car ignition doesn't turn on until the seabelt is put in.. that might be pretty useful, reminds u to wear a seatbelt, but the push the brake down + push a dashdim switch up thing is stupid, maybe he thinks he can prevent theft... although how many thiefs use a key to start the car anyways?

So, I am just asking for the hell of it, how can something like that be done?
Old 09-10-2001, 07:16 PM

i think they call it a kill switch. i don't think it's possible to start the car even without a key, like thieves would, with a switch like this.

my brother wanted to do this, i don't htink it's hard to do at all.
Old 09-12-2001, 09:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah, like he said, this is just a basic starter kill switch
some people use relays to do it, but you can do it simply by cutting the starter wire and connecting the ends to a separate switch that needs to be on to start the car

I did this on my car. I choose to use my foglight switch on the dash because it had 2 extra connections that weren't being used anyway and it's not a momentary switch (one that youd have to hold down all the time).
I always have my fogs on anyway, but when I leave the car, I simply push the button to turn them off and the car wont start until someone pushes that button back in

check out my page for more info about it:
http://www.geocities.com/bracecraig/maxima/kill/
Old 09-14-2001, 10:16 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

COOL!

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»
yeah, like he said, this is just a basic starter kill switch
some people use relays to do it, but you can do it simply by cutting the starter wire and connecting the ends to a separate switch that needs to be on to start the car

I did this on my car. I choose to use my foglight switch on the dash because it had 2 extra connections that weren't being used anyway and it's not a momentary switch (one that youd have to hold down all the time).
I always have my fogs on anyway, but when I leave the car, I simply push the button to turn them off and the car wont start until someone pushes that button back in

check out my page for more info about it:
http://www.geocities.com/bracecraig/maxima/kill/

thanks. interesting things can be done.. it's not very useful though