Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Dvc

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 06:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dvc

What exactly does this mean? I've been reading some stuff but it doesn't really make sense. It says that they have wiring flexibility. What does that mean?
Old 10-12-2001, 07:08 PM

dual voice coil,able to get different ohms ,thats all i know
Old 10-12-2001, 07:20 PM

Re: Dvc

Originally posted by KLoWnPR109
What exactly does this mean? I've been reading some stuff but it doesn't really make sense. It says that they have wiring flexibility. What does that mean?
dvc = dual voice coil

yes you have more wiring options, but it all depends on what you want to accomplish. for instance ... say you have an amp that is stable to 4 ohms bridged. Now at that point the amp is pushing the most power and you want take advantage of this but 2 4 ohm subs can't be wired to that config. If you have a dual 2 ohm voice coil sub though you can get the correct ohm load. It is confusing when you first start looking at it, but once you get ohms down it will flow it a little easier. I admit that I still get a little confused sometimes...
Old 10-12-2001, 09:55 PM
mb1

Re: Re: Dvc

Originally posted by ispeed

dvc = dual voice coil

yes you have more wiring options, but it all depends on what you want to accomplish. for instance ... say you have an amp that is stable to 4 ohms bridged. Now at that point the amp is pushing the most power and you want take advantage of this but 2 4 ohm subs can't be wired to that config. If you have a dual 2 ohm voice coil sub though you can get the correct ohm load. It is confusing when you first start looking at it, but once you get ohms down it will flow it a little easier. I admit that I still get a little confused sometimes...
Not meaning to argue with you, but the example you gave is not a very effective one. Yeah, you can get a 4ohm mono load from a dual 2 ohm coil sub, but you can also get it from a single 4ohm sub. I think what you meant was if you have 2 dual 4ohm voice coil subwoofers, then you could wire them into 4 ohms, which you can't do with 2 svc 4ohm subs.
Old 10-13-2001, 06:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Dvc

Originally posted by mb1

Not meaning to argue with you, but the example you gave is not a very effective one. Yeah, you can get a 4ohm mono load from a dual 2 ohm coil sub, but you can also get it from a single 4ohm sub. I think what you meant was if you have 2 dual 4ohm voice coil subwoofers, then you could wire them into 4 ohms, which you can't do with 2 svc 4ohm subs.

yeah I realized that it was not the best example, but just wanted to be able to show that with only one sub you can get differenent wiring configurations. Instead of having to get two subs to get specific ohm loads, you can get 1 dvc sub and wire to the desired effect. And yes with my example, he could just use a single 4 ohm sub on that bridged amp rather than a dvc at all.

check out jlaudio.com and look through their tutorials section for a picture representation of dvc wiring diagrams and the ohm load they achieve.
Old 10-18-2001, 11:21 PM

Re: Dvc

Originally posted by KLoWnPR109
Basically it's two smaller voicecoils instead of one larger one. The voicecoil is part of the electro-magnet that drives the woofer cone. Each coil has it's own impedance since they are separate circuits. In a DVC subwoofer the combination of these circuits will relate to differing loads on the amplifier depending on how they are wired up.

For a better description of DVC wiring and subwoofers visit http://go.to/bcae