Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Scosche adapter wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:29 PM

Scosche adapter wiring question

Doesnt let me search this section

My Bose CD player died and I have a JVC MP3/CD HU laying around so I'm putting that one in mine (bought the Scosche amplifier & the antenna adapters from Crutchfield)

Anyways, I connected all the wires from the Scosche adapter to the JVC harness (all the color codes matched up so it was easy):
8 speaker wires
red/yellow - ignition/power
solid blue - power antenna
solid black - ground

orange (dimmer) & blue/white (amp on) left disconnected - put electric tape on the wire ends

Whats the black wire with white stripe for on the Scosche harness? I alrdy connected the solid black wire to the HU's ground wire - do I leave this one disconnected?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by JaTaN
Doesnt let me search this section

My Bose CD player died and I have a JVC MP3/CD HU laying around so I'm putting that one in mine (bought the Scosche amplifier & the antenna adapters from Crutchfield)

Anyways, I connected all the wires from the Scosche adapter to the JVC harness (all the color codes matched up so it was easy):
8 speaker wires
red/yellow - ignition/power
solid blue - power antenna
solid black - ground

orange (dimmer) & blue/white (amp on) left disconnected - put electric tape on the wire ends

Whats the black wire with white stripe for on the Scosche harness? I alrdy connected the solid black wire to the HU's ground wire - do I leave this one disconnected?
Something makes me think it's amp remote or amp ground? It sounds familiar although I believe remote is usually blue/white
Old 09-14-2007, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by whitem1ke88
Something makes me think it's amp remote or amp ground? It sounds familiar although I believe remote is usually blue/white
The Scosche paper says:
Blue - power antenna
Blue/White - amp remote turn on
Black - ground

Doesnt mention anything for the black/white wire - it could be the amp ground like you said, but wanted to make sure what the wire was for before I hook everything up to the car

Last edited by Jatan; 09-14-2007 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:26 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Black / white is amp ground, you don't HAVE to ground it as the ground in the harness should take care of it, however you can. Make sure you have grounded your radio to the chassis not just in the harness.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:35 AM

Thanks
Old 09-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Look closer! There are very fine prints on the wires of Scosche adapter.

Yeh, I think blue/white is the remote amp turn on signal. You should connect it to turn on your Bose amps.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by svojs
Look closer! There are very fine prints on the wires of Scosche adapter.

Yeh, I think blue/white is the remote amp turn on signal. You should connect it to turn on your Bose amps.
Just realized that after hearing no sound from the speakers lol

HU only has blue/white - remote lead or power antenna
Scosche has both blue power antenna & blue/white remote amp

Where do I connect the Scosche remote amp wire to? If I connect it to my HU's power antenna/remote lead wire then where does the solid blue power antenna wire on the Scosche connect to?

Edit: looks like I have to connect both Scosche blue & blue/white wires to the HU's single blue/white wire and the antenna will be on all the time:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....emote+amp+wire

Last edited by Jatan; 09-14-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the help guys - everything works now. Connected both amp & antenna wires to HU's single blue wire and also connected 1 ground to the harness and 1 to the chassis. Adjusted all 4 Scosche gains to about 1-2 o'clock and the JVC HU from our other car works just fine with the Bose

Had a dash kit laying around from our last year's totaled Accord so I just used that (no point in spending another $20). I couldnt bolt the pocket part to the dash so I stuffed a piece of plastic from the back in between the JVC HU and the pocket (taped it down so it wouldnt fall out lol) and the dash kit appears to be secure =P

If anyone needs the Scosche adapter ($40) and/or the antenna adapter ($13), use PA156 for free shipping on Crutchfield.com

Didnt have any batteries for the camera so I took pics after the install

Old 09-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

So whenever you turn on the HU, the antenna gonna rise? Gess your HU is lack of the remote ant signal.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:56 AM

Yea the antenna stays up all the time, but I dont mind - I have the JVC KDG-220 (which is now replaced now by the 230 model)

Its a cheap/decent HU so I dont really care. Retail was for $100 but I got it for around $60 back in June/July 2006 - I bought 2 of them for our 2 other cars that didnt have CD players
Old 09-17-2007, 11:58 AM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

So how does the BOSE system sound with your new HU?

I just got a new Pioneer HU that I want to put in my BOSE system. Is this scosche adapter the best way to go? Is there anything wrong with just using a maxima harness to splice the HU in without using an adapter?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:09 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by Vlasic
So how does the BOSE system sound with your new HU?

I just got a new Pioneer HU that I want to put in my BOSE system. Is this scosche adapter the best way to go? Is there anything wrong with just using a maxima harness to splice the HU in without using an adapter?
Which pioneer is it?

JaTaN you COULD put a switch on the antenna wire and use that to control the antenna, I did that with my 240sx.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:51 PM

Too lazy to put in a switch - I dont mind if the antenna stays up (mine only goes up 1/3 of the way anyways, I'll have to spray it down with WD40 eventually)

Use the free shipping code I posted above if you're buying from Crutchfield

There is a cheaper Metra harness which uses RCA wires I think, but I just went with the Scosche for $40

Some people dont use the adapter, some people use the Metra, and some use the Scosche/PAC and its working fine for them so its up to you on buying the adapter - I didnt want to risk the speakers blowing

Just search for "bose adapter" or something like that in the 4th gen section since you cant search the audio section
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t=bose+adapter

The sound is a little better than with the Bose HU and you also have more settings to play with to adjust it to your liking (of course you'll get better sound by replacing the speakers but I didnt want to waste that much money). I'm just happy that I can use MP3 CDs now so I dont have to switch CDs often
Old 09-17-2007, 01:08 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Metra 70-7551 is easier but only recommended if you have a headunit with 4volts or > pre-outs.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:04 PM
RaWr!!! ('''_(o_O)_''')

Originally Posted by nismos14
Which pioneer is it?
Im going to put in a Pioneer DEH-6900UB.

Originally Posted by nismos14
Metra 70-7551 is easier but only recommended if you have a headunit with 4volts or > pre-outs.
I just looked up my deck and its RCA preouts are 4 volts at 100 ohms, I assume Ill be fine using the Metra adapter?

Last edited by Vlasic; 09-17-2007 at 05:47 PM.