Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Help me evaluate my home theater components that i may buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 09:32 AM

Help me evaluate my home theater components that i may buy

Ok im buying a home theater set up but have a limited budget. This is what im most likely going to buy unless i hear something that makes me realize that one of my components is missing something. this maxes out my budget so i cant afford higher end stuff.

receiver is a kenwood vr-509: it has 4csv 4sv 2cnv inputs, 100w per channel 9a/v inputs, dolby digital, dts, dpl2, THX, has full range sub output

dvd player is kenwood dv-505: 5 disc, 1csv, 1sc, 1cnv ouputs, but it doesnt decode dolby digital or dts. Will my receiver take care of that since it decodes those formats?

front speakers sony ss-mf500h: 1-25mm tweeter, 1-8omm midrange, 2-160mm woofer, magnetic sheilded, frequency range 40-50, sensitivity 89

Center speaker sony ss-cn495: 1-25mm tweeter, 2-130mm woofer, magnetic sheilded

subwoofer sony sa-wm40: maximum continuous power 120w, 1-12inch woofer, not magnetic sheilded, frequency response 20-200, not THX certified

i already have some speakers im going to use for the rear and im going to wait to purchase a cd player. but mostly im concerned as to whether i will get the most out of everything as far as dvd quality goes. my tv has s-video hookup. i want to make sure that i my dvd player is not bringing down the quality of my system. And does it matter if my speakers are not THX certified? the room im in now is fairly small like 15x20 and enclosed. i doubt i will ever use this system in a room much larger than that.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I dont know a whole lot about this stuff and there are no kenwood dealers in my area so i will have to purchase some online any sites that are good to deal with let me know. Thanks
Old 10-22-2001, 10:15 AM
Disco Biscuit

Well, for the most part for the average Home Theater THX isnt all that important. The Kenwood is fine, I prefer Yamaha myself, but thats just me. Yes, the Reciever decodes The formats, so having a DVD player that does, is a waste of money. As far as DVD players go, I like Pioneers believe it or not. The car stuff sux, but they get the DVD players right. I would also recommend another brand of speakers. I dont care for Sony at all. again, for a home theater on a budget, I have used Yamaha speakers for quite a few people when setting them up with equipment, and you cant beat Yamaha for GREAT bang for the buck, although I dont like their subs. For a little more, I would also recommend a brand called PSB, I have them and love them, but you can only find them in high end audio stores. These are just my recommendations, and Others will have theirs as well. Good luck and Enjoy!!!
Old 10-22-2001, 12:54 PM
jmax

THX is pretty much a label which indicates you paid at least $100 to have the plastic badge attached to components. For the receiver it means that it has the DTS decoding - years ago this was Dolby Pro Logic, now it has evolved - and that the receiver has power for 100 watts RMS minimum for all channels. The speakers not being certified either means that they are not shielded, can't handle 100 watts RMS, or were built before certification existed. Again, in the small room you won't miss not being able to turn it up all the way, so the speakers should be fine. Just don't mount them within 2 feet of the TV, unless you have a projection or LCD set. By not being shielded, the magnets will distort the image and over time ruin the tube.

Old 10-22-2001, 04:33 PM
Disco Biscuit

Actually, THX certs for speakers are quite stringent as far as frequency response and power handling. Speaker shielding has nothing to do with it. Many speakers out there are sheilded. PSBs, Yamaha, and many other brands out there are shielded, handle over 100 watts RMS, and arent THX. There are also many models of reciever that decode both DD and DTS, that dont have THX cert.
Old 10-22-2001, 04:59 PM
jmax

Yeah, I forgot about hte freq response requirements. But those are always bogus anyway, easy to stimulate a better response with room acoustics. The important thing to remember is that is just a certification. If the manufacturer doesn't apply for certification the product will not be certified regardless of performance. The main thing about a receiver is the decoding/DSP and the power output. 50 good watts is probably plenty for most home theaters, so long as you have a seperate amplified sub. But Lucasfilms requires 100 watts RMS. If you really get into your movies and music though, then the additional power is a necessity. If you live in a townhome, apartment or condo, more than 50 watts if actually accessed will only make for poor relations with neighbors.

Yeah, I am actually saying this despite the fact that I have 350 watts RMS/each going to my front left and right in my Maxima. On the highway, my neighbors don't care how loud I listen to my music, or how low the bass will extend.

I'm not disagreeing with you Jon, just stateing what is actually important for most. And most can boost the bass and treble on the receiver, and otherwise get by without certification. I actually have higher standards for my own system, but won't implement them until I am finacially able to move into a more compatable abode. I currently get by just fine with 200 watts to the front left and right, a mere 85 to the center(which some would consider a sin), and don't even have the rear channel connected.

Old 10-23-2001, 10:40 AM
Disco Biscuit

Actually I agree with everything you said about it just being a cert. Unless you are REALLY into HT and have tons-o-money, its just at sticker on the front of a piece of equipment
Old 10-23-2001, 07:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Whitemax
As far as DVD players go, I like Pioneers believe it or not. The car stuff sux, but they get the DVD players right.
What did you say?
Old 10-23-2001, 07:47 PM
Disco Biscuit

What?About the Car stereo stuff sucking worse than a $5 hooker, or the fact that Pioneers DVD players are some of the best rated?
Old 10-23-2001, 07:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Whitemax
What?About the Car stereo stuff sucking worse than a $5 hooker, or the fact that Pioneers DVD players are some of the best rated?
Old 10-23-2001, 08:04 PM

Re: Help me evaluate my home theater components that i may buy

Originally posted by Sway1331
Ok im buying a home theater set up but have a limited budget. This is what im most likely going to buy unless i hear something that makes me realize that one of my components is missing something. this maxes out my budget so i cant afford higher end stuff.

receiver is a kenwood vr-509: it has 4csv 4sv 2cnv inputs, 100w per channel 9a/v inputs, dolby digital, dts, dpl2, THX, has full range sub output

dvd player is kenwood dv-505: 5 disc, 1csv, 1sc, 1cnv ouputs, but it doesnt decode dolby digital or dts. Will my receiver take care of that since it decodes those formats?

front speakers sony ss-mf500h: 1-25mm tweeter, 1-8omm midrange, 2-160mm woofer, magnetic sheilded, frequency range 40-50, sensitivity 89

Center speaker sony ss-cn495: 1-25mm tweeter, 2-130mm woofer, magnetic sheilded

subwoofer sony sa-wm40: maximum continuous power 120w, 1-12inch woofer, not magnetic sheilded, frequency response 20-200, not THX certified

i already have some speakers im going to use for the rear and im going to wait to purchase a cd player. but mostly im concerned as to whether i will get the most out of everything as far as dvd quality goes. my tv has s-video hookup. i want to make sure that i my dvd player is not bringing down the quality of my system. And does it matter if my speakers are not THX certified? the room im in now is fairly small like 15x20 and enclosed. i doubt i will ever use this system in a room much larger than that.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I dont know a whole lot about this stuff and there are no kenwood dealers in my area so i will have to purchase some online any sites that are good to deal with let me know. Thanks
I Choose JVC myself...I love the way all the componets work together...I hit power and my reciver, tv, turn on! hit dvd and the tv powers up
Old 10-24-2001, 10:01 AM
Disco Biscuit

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001

well Anton, dont know what to say. better luck next time?

Just kidding......