Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Fiberglassing setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2001, 03:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Fiberglassing setup

Does anyone have any tips for fiberglassing trunks, or any other type of custom setup. I'm doing a 3 12 inch sub setup and trying to dcide the best way to have them mounted in the trunk.
Old 10-25-2001, 04:27 PM

What exactly do you wanna know...There is alot of different things to be dun and or said. In any case check out my homepage the hole trunk is painted fiberglass.
Old 10-26-2001, 08:25 AM

Ok Like i said i was looking to mount 3 12's two facing one way and the other reversed maybe. Basically i'm wondering what it would take to fiberglass the whole trunk, but still have some usability. I was wondering things like cost, and what it takes to apply the fiberglass and things like that

Originally posted by max'n out
What exactly do you wanna know...There is alot of different things to be dun and or said. In any case check out my homepage the hole trunk is painted fiberglass.
Old 10-26-2001, 01:07 PM

Well there is alot of different ways to do things...First you need to come up with a more diffinitive plan. But basically you start by building an mdf frame...Then apply fleece(currently the most popular)to that frame by glueing it down. The fleece should be in the shape you want the peice to be...This is what gives it the shape. once glued it must be strong enough for you to push very hard on with no movement. Then you put on a few gloves and a mask and apply fiberglass resin. Do a few layers till it's real strong. Let dry, Then sand. For many hours. Then many more. Than apply body filler to smooth out everything more...Then go back to sanding. After that you apply either paint,vinyl,tweed, carpet, or anything else you can think of. The piece must be as smooth as the car's body if your going to paint it or vinyl it. As far as cost to do it your self...Not alot. Just very very time consuming.
Old 10-26-2001, 01:12 PM

www.botos.com/matthew/mattmobile

I did this in my previous car; the sub box page above has some details on the techniques I used.
Old 10-26-2001, 02:16 PM
jmax

Unfortunately if you go with the first suggestion, as most people do, you can build something very pretty, but no very strong. You said fiberglass, not polyester resin with a single layer of fleece reinforcement. The strength of fiberglass really comes from the glass layers, not from huge quantities of resin. The resins primary job is to give a smooth surface.
Try these links for fiberglassing basics: www.fiberlay.com
www.fibreglast.com

The above comment is not intended to offend, simply to correct.

Old 10-26-2001, 02:37 PM

Your right some peices can be very fragile...but really it comes down to how the peice is set up. If it's a large peice made mainly from fleece and a small frame with alot of hollow space behind it then it will prob be pretty fragile. This is what I was saying it comes down to design. If there is alot of hollow space you can fill it with different things. With my under hood we filled it with expansision foam from underneath. Now that thing is hard as a rock. I can also sit on it without trouble. Considering i'm 230 lb's i think that pretty good. Alot of it comes down to what way you choice to renforce the peice and it's size and intended use. Like Garry Biggs trunk. It's a huge tubb but very very solid. Or my teamates trunk which is the hole hatch area of talon, very solid.

All comes down to how you build it and what you wanna use it for.
Old 10-26-2001, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by jmax
Unfortunately if you go with the first suggestion, as most people do, you can build something very pretty, but no very strong. You said fiberglass, not polyester resin with a single layer of fleece reinforcement. The strength of fiberglass really comes from the glass layers, not from huge quantities of resin. The resins primary job is to give a smooth surface.
Try these links for fiberglassing basics: www.fiberlay.com
www.fibreglast.com

The above comment is not intended to offend, simply to correct.

Thank for the replies. Design is not really an issue for me, the only thing it that i have never worked with fiberglass before, and i was wondering about it. Thanx a lot fellas
Old 10-26-2001, 03:18 PM
jmax

It is not really difficult, but does take a little bit of experimentation and practice. If you follow the links I posted they have some good pointers, and good prices. I have found that 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick glass with epoxy resin is stiffer and acoustically deader than 3/4 inch MDF. This is with only 3-4 layers of actual fabric such as glass, kevlar(my personal favorite), or carbon(a lot stiffer than the others). the rest of the thickness is just filler material.
You have to be careful with carbon and glass because they are conductive, so be careful if you use binding posts for your speaker connections.

Old 10-28-2001, 01:49 PM

Good Deal. Thank for the advice!