Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Advice for upgrading my audio/electronics (2006 Maxima, No Bose, No Sat)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:56 AM

Advice for upgrading my audio/electronics (2006 Maxima, No Bose, No Sat)

Hello all

I know there have probably been quite literally dozens for topics regarding my question but I tried searching and I looked back about 8 pages worth of threads and didn't really find what I was looking for.

To get to the point ASAP, I have a 2006 Nissan Maxima without Bose system (just plain old factory setup).

My question is regarding upgrading my audio system, specifically I'm looking to get some kind of in-dash dvd/sat/gps type setup here. I am really new to this and I really don't know where to start. I want to outfit my car with a second device, and leave my current setup as is and just add another in-dash component below where the cd player and tape player currently is.

So, pretty much I would like to add something below all the controls. However, I don't know how to go about this process. Is there a place I can buy a new faceplate to match the rest of my car to since the new device will be quite different than the current setup/faceplate?

Also, if anyone has done anything like this if you could post pictures of your setup that would be greatly appreciated.

My Max: 2006 Maxima with factory stereo (no Bose and not "satellite ready")

Secondary questions/concerns:
I don't have a "SAT" button just FYI so I doubt I could use something like this: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...AINIS2&tp=1672)

But I would also like to know if something like this would work with my vehicle: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...6CLSES&tp=1672 or possibly this device: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...OSA200&tp=1672

I know there are a lot of questions here, but I would greatly appreciate any kind of assistance I can get.

Thanks a lot.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:41 PM

are you looking at adding a dvd/gps/satelitte piece IN ADDITION to your factory radio?

If so, I wouldn't recommend it. Not only is it going to be a pain to hook it up properly, you're better off using the internal amplifier of a GPS/DVD headunit for a better sound. Something like the ever popular Pioneer D3 would replace your factory radio and have am/fm radio, cd, Dvd playback,aux input, and navigation. The D3 also allows you to hook up additional tuners to allow satellite radio, bluetooth, ipod, rear view camera. This way you prevent using all the additional pieces you were talking about.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by xtearitupx
are you looking at adding a dvd/gps/satelitte piece IN ADDITION to your factory radio?

If so, I wouldn't recommend it. Not only is it going to be a pain to hook it up properly, you're better off using the internal amplifier of a GPS/DVD headunit for a better sound. Something like the ever popular Pioneer D3 would replace your factory radio and have am/fm radio, cd, Dvd playback,aux input, and navigation. The D3 also allows you to hook up additional tuners to allow satellite radio, bluetooth, ipod, rear view camera. This way you prevent using all the additional pieces you were talking about.
Well I don't have to continue to use the present radio/stereo if it is not recommended.

But I still want to have that functional for temperature, maintenance and other car settings are set through that.

But in terms of radio, cd player, navigation etc.. I wouldn't mind have that all run through the new unit.

I assume the steering controls will no longer work though.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you can buy the swix steering wheel interface to retain steering wheel controls. Where are you from ? If your near ct i might be able to pull you some strings and get some decent deals.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:41 PM

Hey man...i have an 06 Max too. Shoot me an PM i went through the same things as you and got some good advice if you would like to hear it.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello everyone. I am very new to this forum (actually this is my first post) but am struggling with the same problem. I live in Ohio and also have a 2006 Maxima without nav or sat. My goals for changing the audio system are to hard wire my iPod, sat radio when I get it and Bluetooth. Unfortunately this thread does not have too many posts so hopefully I can stir it back up again!

I recently purchased a pair of 6x9s from Crutchfield (Sony XS-V690HP) and just installed them in the rear deck tonight so I have not really gotten a chance to test them. They are three way 6x9s but it seems like there is a crossover somewhere that is not allowing them to produce voice or highs.

I would like a new head unit, new door speakers and tweets and to add an amp (or more if necessary). I am not looking for competition style sound, but I would like to increase the bass (good, clean hits while not trying to rattle the car apart) and clean up the murky sounding midrange. The highs could be a little cleaner, too.

I searched the forums (found a couple articles titled Should I change my speakers? and Conquer the stereo challenge!!!) but they did not seem to address what I was looking for. If anyone has any suggestions, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by lxracer; 02-28-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 PM

here's a pic of my avic d3 on my 06 max
Old 02-28-2008, 09:23 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Eclipse AVN6620 will solve all your woes.

/thread
Old 02-29-2008, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by lxracer
I would like a new head unit, new door speakers and tweets and to add an amp (or more if necessary). I am not looking for competition style sound, but I would like to increase the bass (good, clean hits while not trying to rattle the car apart) and clean up the murky sounding midrange. The highs could be a little cleaner, too.
Thanks in advance!
Again, as far as the stereo goes, I would recommened the D3 just because of its many options to hook up to it, and the ability to retain factory steering wheel controls. As far as speakers go, no speakers will be able to reproduce the low frequencies a sub would be able to, so you may want to consider a sub. For a cheap sub with excellent sound quality, I recommend the Inifinity reference series (around 100 bucks). Depending on the range of notes you want to hit, either a 10 or 12 inch. And IMHO, Sonys are garbage..
Old 02-29-2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by kenjio6
here's a pic of my avic d3 on my 06 max
Did you have the bose system before you installed that?

I dont and it's not sat ready so would this work on mine? Also where did you get that face plate and does it look like the rest of the dash or is it different?
Old 02-29-2008, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
Eclipse AVN6620 will solve all your woes.

/thread
Would be able to post some pics of your set up? How much did it cost you?
Do you still have the steering wheel control?
Thanks.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:26 AM

I'm sure you already know but just adding a new h/u (like D3, etc.) will "enhance" even the way your stock speakers sound + it will give you more control over sound adjustability (7 band EQ and all those bells and whistles)...
Old 03-01-2008, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by xtearitupx
And IMHO, Sonys are garbage..
They might be garbage now but man oh man do I miss my 1ohm ES amp...
Old 03-01-2008, 11:01 AM

to the OP, you'll still retain some use of the stock display screen. the only information that won't be shown anymore will be the radio/cd information. but the outside temperature, ac controls, etc will still be functional.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
to the OP, you'll still retain some use of the stock display screen. the only information that won't be shown anymore will be the radio/cd information. but the outside temperature, ac controls, etc will still be functional.
What exactly would be the process to begin this? I heard the D3 or whatever was mentioned above has a cd-only map feature which would mean I would have to take my cd out just to get a map... I'm not too fond of that feature.

Also, which new HU would still allow me to use my steering controls (i.e. volume, power on/off, etc)
Old 03-02-2008, 02:37 PM

yeah, you're going to need the cd when you're using the navigation. you can preload a destination in, but iirc its limited to 10 miles if the cd isn't in the unit.

as for the steering wheel controls, i don't think there is a unit with that feature built in. you'll need another adapter to make the steering controls work. i didn't even bother with mine. the head unit is well within arms reach.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:12 PM

IMO replace the facotry unit with the D3, its an awesome unit an think about how often u really are going to use the nav. an yes u need to cd to plot coordinates an such but even with out the cd it still will track the vehicle an show your posistion. an if you tap the VSS which i HIGHLY recommend it tracks the vehicle in real time, an awesome feature. however if ur still leary about changing nav cd's crutchfield is now offering the Pioneer AVIC Z2X package, they give u everything including the rearview cam. since that units nav is hard drive based u dont need to change cd's unless its music cd's but who does that anymore when they have ipod's for that now, i know i sure dont only cd's i change are dvd's thats it!
Old 03-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just upgraded the stereo in my 2006 Maxima

Originally Posted by SilverMaxima06
What exactly would be the process to begin this? I heard the D3 or whatever was mentioned above has a cd-only map feature which would mean I would have to take my cd out just to get a map... I'm not too fond of that feature.

Also, which new HU would still allow me to use my steering controls (i.e. volume, power on/off, etc)

Have you found a resolution to your situation yet? I did and boy did NIssan make things hard. I am really disappointed in their tactic as I don't think they thought about the consumer post sale. I ended up installing an Apline CDA-9886 receiver. It is iPod (comes with cable) HD, SAT, USB, & Bluetooth ready and it is said to work with steering wheel controls(optional: PAC-SWI-ALP). I purchased it from Crutchfiled for $299 and it came with all necessary parts for installation (go Crutchfield). Only hang up is that the dash kit did not match the brushed silver/aluminum trim. I was able to overcome that by purchasing a can of Krylon Fusion spray paint (2532 Silver Hammered). I lucked out because it matched perfectly. I can send a picture if you like. Feel free to ask questions. - Good luck! jjjonas@sc.rr.com
Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 PM

Hate to bring up an old thread, but I also have an 06 maxima without the Bose system. To replace the CD player with an aftermarket head unit, would I just need to buy the wiring harness (http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Harness...p/B000KL15P8)? And if I did this, would the factory amp/speakers work properly?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
yeah, you're going to need the cd when you're using the navigation. you can preload a destination in, but iirc its limited to 10 miles if the cd isn't in the unit. As for the steering wheel controls, i don't think there is a unit with that feature built in. you'll need another adapter to make the steering controls work. i didn't even bother with mine. the head unit is well within arms reach.
On the other hand, the AVN 6620 has 2 dvd drives and one is dedicated to the Nav DVD.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:22 AM
Active procrastinator

Originally Posted by Nellanaesp
Hate to bring up an old thread, but I also have an 06 maxima without the Bose system. To replace the CD player with an aftermarket head unit, would I just need to buy the wiring harness (http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Harness...p/B000KL15P8)? And if I did this, would the factory amp/speakers work properly?
You will need an adapter if you are using the Bose system. They can be found at Crutchfield.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:31 AM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by Afronaut
You will need an adapter if you are using the Bose system. They can be found at Crutchfield.
You do ? Really ?
Old 08-16-2010, 11:13 AM

I thought you only needed an adapter for speaker replacement while keeping the stock h/u. I could be wrong tho.

Last edited by ICEMAN76; 08-16-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:54 AM

The good thing about crutchfield, is if you tell it your vehicle, it will generally add the correct wiring harness to your cart, and its free(at least, it was for me, but then again, I spent over $1,000 on a headunit)
Old 08-17-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by jgilbs
The good thing about crutchfield, is if you tell it your vehicle, it will generally add the correct wiring harness to your cart, and its free(at least, it was for me, but then again, I spent over $1,000 on a headunit)
Same here. Got almost everything I needed from them.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Active procrastinator

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
You do ? Really ?
Like the others have stated if you order or just select your headunit through Crutchfield, it will give you a list of all the free and necessary equipment needed to properly install the stereo. When I ordered my Alpine unit, I needed an adapter to integrate it with the Bose system. I can try to look up the information on it and post it later. My car is a 2000 but I'm quite sure though if you are using the Bose system you will need the adapter.

***I read the title of the post again and noticed it reads "no bose". Disregard the info in your case silvermaxima06 but it is still good info.***

Last edited by Afronaut; 08-17-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im finding it impossible to find help with posting restrictions on every forum and not enough info for my car. i have a 2004 maxima without bose. but on the rear deck there is a small amp i think between the two subs. i already got a metra dash kit and a wire harness and a antenna adaptor. i really want to install this myself but the only thing holding me back is how to wire the sony stereo wire harness to the metra harness and where to ground wires and is the factory non bose amplifier the same thing as a bose ampilifier because i got the Metra 70-7550 wire harness , 40-NI10 Nissan Antenna Adapter PLEASE HELP ME
Old 04-09-2011, 10:26 PM

you just match up the wires on the metra harness to the harness on the radio (either crimping or soldering). they're color coded so it's fairly easy to do. then you just plug it to the harness coming from the dash.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:27 AM

I know this is an olddddddd post, but…...

Originally Posted by jjjonas
Have you found a resolution to your situation yet? I did and boy did NIssan make things hard. I am really disappointed in their tactic as I don't think they thought about the consumer post sale. I ended up installing an Apline CDA-9886 receiver. It is iPod (comes with cable) HD, SAT, USB, & Bluetooth ready and it is said to work with steering wheel controls(optional: PAC-SWI-ALP). I purchased it from Crutchfiled for $299 and it came with all necessary parts for installation (go Crutchfield). Only hang up is that the dash kit did not match the brushed silver/aluminum trim. I was able to overcome that by purchasing a can of Krylon Fusion spray paint (2532 Silver Hammered). I lucked out because it matched perfectly. I can send a picture if you like. Feel free to ask questions. - Good luck! jjjonas@sc.rr.com
Might you still have either the vehicle or pics, please show me or might you have a link of them up somewhere perhaps??? I'd like to see! owner@missbikinimiami.com
Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just purchased an 06 Max with the Bose system. I hooked up an after market Alpine CDA-9831 that I have had for years with the Bose adapter wiring harness(24.99) I also have two 12 inch Aluminum Cone Eclipse subs. The Bose system could not keep up with the bass, so I had to take it out and completely rewire the car. This took about a day to run wire through each door grommet at each speaker location (not easy) to the trunk of the car. You must have a lot of patience to tackle this as it is time consuming to do it the "right" way and not damage the existing wires in the doors. Depending on the depth of your aftermarket speakers you will need a 1 inch to half inch spacer to keep the window glass from hitting it when it is rolled down completely. The rear speakers should be fine with out a spacer. I installed a Pioneer 6 1/2 component set with 1 inch silk dome tweeters up front. The factory Bose tweeters are small an once I removed them I had to customize the location for the Pioneer tweeters (pics available). I hid the cross-overs for the components behind the kick panels in the front floor boards. There are (2) 8 inch subs in the rear deck, to access these you must remove the rear deck cover. I did not do this at the present time. I will post when this task is completed. As for now the aftermarket speakers are ran off an ol' school chrome Memphis ST-3004 4 channel 75x4 amp. The sound is much crisper and cleaner than the Bose. Don't get me wrong, the Bose sounded great for a "factory" stereo. If you like to customize your vehicle like I do, I advise buying a Maxima without the Bose package or prepare for some hours in rewiring the car. Lol. Any questions? feel free to ask.

Last edited by kidfresh77; 01-22-2013 at 08:05 AM.