Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

2002 non-bose planning

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:19 PM

2002 non-bose planning

FINALLY i can post in here.

Here's the low down: Got a 2002 se without the bose system and quite frankly it sounds trrbl (look up frank caliendo does charles barkley). Looking to replace all speakers and set up some decent bass in the trunk.

I've done a bit of research and I would like some opinions and possible alternatives to my current selections.
fronts: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...25&i=107DB5251
rears: http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...ch=db651&tp=95
currently owned amp for subs: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-C7haxut...&search=kac929

Looking to replace my massive pair of JL 12w3's in thier ported box which are heavy and spacious. They fit just fine in my DeVille that I sold but the max, while not small, has a smaller trunk and i would like to keep the weight down somewhat.

Looking at this for my sub but not sure of the box. http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...2D4&i=065G5124

In addition to all of this I would like to dynamat (or equivalent) my doors and some of my trunk to improve sound quality. Dont want to go too extensive so i'm thinking just the door kits they sell and a little in the trunk.

All of this wont do me much good without the proper head unit but I've got no idea where to start. Dont NEED the aux input but i think it'd be nice just incase. I've also got a Pioneer Inno portable XM radio with car kit but i'm thinking of just getting a HU with XM capabilities and either switching the subscription over or just have 2 b/c radio in Atlanta sucks

Would like to save the money and install myself but never installed speakers or a HU or a sub but i can find tutorials elsewhere for that

Rather long-ish post but PLEASE take a look and let me know what you think
Old 03-26-2008, 10:55 PM

Go with 6.5" speakers all around. The current model equivalents to your rears would be the Polk DB6501.

Although Ive installed more sets of Polk DB speakers than I care to remember, and theyre a decent sounding set for a mainstream brand, most here are going to say the following (including myself). Rainbow. High end handmade German speakers. Our moderator here Pearl96Max is a dealer and depending on which ones you want, you would come out very close to those Crutchfield prices.

I'm a fan of the sub, and mainly its efficiency combined with box size requirements. My roommate bought one and had me put it in a 1 cube box running off 425 watts and it sounds great for the power being thrown at it.

An Eclipse head unit, probably the CD3200, would sound the best IMO. But everyone is nitpicky about head units, so shop around and play with them to see what you like.

Get a knowledgeable friend to help you with the install. You don't want to fuck up an install when its an entire system like this.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:27 AM

thanks, krp!

So even though crutchfield says 5-1/4" up front it's a 6-1/2"? Also, i wasn't going to get the speakers off of crutchfield. There are MUCH better prices to be had.

As far as the install goes i'm going to ask around and see what the best price I can get is. Circuit City quoted $55 for the fronts, $40 for the rears and $60 for the sub (i'm assuming that doesn't include the cost of the kit). I could probably save the $40 and atleast install the rears myself. I dunno. This whole plan is a mere 18 hours old
Old 03-30-2008, 01:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bro. I just did a change up on a 2001 Maxima w/o Bose. Go to a Car Audio shop with a large variety and shop online through Froogle or Ebay. I just went through the same process and saved a ton. Circuit City/Best buy are over priced IMO. look up Sonicelectronix.com. Great source and awesome variety. Their speaker prices are awesome and they have a speaker fit guide!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:25 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by REIGNMAN
Bro. I just did a change up on a 2001 Maxima w/o Bose. Go to a Car Audio shop with a large variety and shop online through Froogle or Ebay. I just went through the same process and saved a ton. Circuit City/Best buy are over priced IMO. look up Sonicelectronix.com. Great source and awesome variety. Their speaker prices are awesome and they have a speaker fit guide!
How are BB/CC overpriced? They sell at SRP or MAP as dictated by the manufacturer.

Problem with the site you listed is that theyre not authorized for 95% of the products that they offer. If your going to recommend something please state all the facts for the potential buyer so he doesnt expect to get an actual warranty on said products.