Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

I getting a Pioneer DEH930 instaleed today

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2001, 07:47 AM

I getting a Pioneer DEH930 instaleed today

I have a Bose system but since my Bose HU is always scratching my cds i decided to get a aftermarket HU with an adapter so i can run my Bose speakers(i also got aftermarket sub amp ans sub). I'm worried that this setup will take the sound quality away. So soes anybody have this audio configuartion(aftermarket HU running Bose speakers)? If so, how do you like it?
Old 10-31-2001, 08:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: I getting a Pioneer DEH930 instaleed today

When my Bose dies, or when I decide to upgrade it, this is what I'll do;

Keep the Bose amps/speakers, they make the Bose sound.
Replace the head unit. My dream aftermarket HU would be a doubleDIN CD receiver that can swallow a least 4 CDs in dash, and that CD unit will play CDs,CDRs,CDRWs and MP3s. That would be the ulitmate for me. Anyone know if somehting like that exists yet?

In order to mix this setup together, you'll need the PD-4 from www.linkmeup.com. That's what you're looking for.

Originally posted by 98GLE_RAVERBOY
I have a Bose system but since my Bose HU is always scratching my cds i decided to get a aftermarket HU with an adapter so i can run my Bose speakers(i also got aftermarket sub amp ans sub). I'm worried that this setup will take the sound quality away. So soes anybody have this audio configuartion(aftermarket HU running Bose speakers)? If so, how do you like it?
Old 10-31-2001, 08:27 AM

yes, you will loose sound quality. make sure that the shop doing your install uses the proper adapter plugs to go from bose-aftermarket.
be careful, those bose will blow very easily with the new head.
Old 10-31-2001, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by ny96max
yes, you will loose sound quality. make sure that the shop doing your install uses the proper adapter plugs to go from bose-aftermarket.
be careful, those bose will blow very easily with the new head.

Do you have this set up? Will i significantly lose sound quality compared to the Bose?
Old 10-31-2001, 10:11 AM

First...your loosing SQ right of the bat with a Pioneer head unit. You should have probably read some reviews written by people other than Pioneer employees. The range of htz is inferior to most other brands. Head unit wise, Alpine is the way to go. Read any objective Car Audio magazine and you'll see they get the highest ratings as far as sound quality. Then, why not drop in a set of MB Quartz speakers? The sound will be 100% better than BOSE, and you'll be rolling around with some really high-end audio equipment....Just a thought!
Old 10-31-2001, 10:49 AM

How much are MB Quartz's? Aren't they like 1k or something for two speakers?
Old 10-31-2001, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by SizosDotCom
. Then, why not drop in a set of MB Quartz speakers? The sound will be 100% better than BOSE, and you'll be rolling around with some really high-end audio equipment....Just a thought!
Money speakers and the modfying ths housing for them cost alot plus an amp for the speakers...money is my restricting factor.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:31 PM

i changed out my bose hu and put in an aftermarket hu, and i have not really noticed any significant decline in sound quality with the bose speakers. The speakers are still the 95 stock bose. As long as you get the right adapter, and set the levels on the adapter before putting the dash back together, you should be fine. Also be sure to get the antenae adapter.
Old 10-31-2001, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by maxima42
i changed out my bose hu and put in an aftermarket hu, and i have not really noticed any significant decline in sound quality with the bose speakers. The speakers are still the 95 stock bose. As long as you get the right adapter, and set the levels on the adapter before putting the dash back together, you should be fine. Also be sure to get the antenae adapter.
Maxima42 is right i just got mine installed and the sound quality improved a bit, so what are you guys talking about; the significant improvement are my subs. They sound 5x better and don't distort at the low end. Well i'm satisied with my purchse. Just wondring to the guys that say it would decrease sound quality do you have a Bose system with an aftermarket HU?
Old 10-31-2001, 05:12 PM
dko
duck and cover

Re: Re: I getting a Pioneer DEH930 instaleed today

Originally posted by dwapenyi
My dream aftermarket HU would be a doubleDIN CD receiver that can swallow a least 4 CDs in dash, and that CD unit will play CDs,CDRs,CDRWs and MP3s. That would be the ulitmate for me. Anyone know if somehting like that exists yet?

I remember there was someone on eBay with a 'Nissan OEM' 6-disc in-dash double DIN cd player/changer. Check here and the pic is here. I think that's it but it doesn't look double din to me.
Old 10-31-2001, 06:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: I getting a Pioneer DEH930 instaleed today

Yeah, I've seen that. With that setup, though, I'd have to have 2 units, the headunit, and the changer. Kinda makes the dashboard busy. Want to keep it simple as possible. Thx for the reference, though.

DW

Originally posted by dko

I remember there was someone on eBay with a 'Nissan OEM' 6-disc in-dash double DIN cd player/changer. Check here and the pic is here. I think that's it but it doesn't look double din to me.
Old 10-31-2001, 08:38 PM
dko
duck and cover

Re: Re: Re: Re: I getting a Pioneer DEH930 instaleed today

Yeah, I've seen that. With that setup, though, I'd have to have 2 units, the headunit, and the changer. Kinda makes the dashboard busy. Want to keep it simple as possible. Thx for the reference, though.
No problem, but I could swear I saw a double din in dash 6-disc changer somewhere. I'll let you know If I find it again.
Old 11-01-2001, 03:42 AM

Rule of thumb.....

You listen to your speakers. Start at what you hear first and work backwards. I have MB Quart components and love them. Just take your time and LISTEN to what you want to purchase.

Lovejoy
Old 11-01-2001, 04:04 AM

Which adapter did you use?? 5x better in sound, huh? I could live with that!

DW

Maxima42 is right i just got mine installed and the sound quality improved a bit, so what are you guys talking about; the significant improvement are my subs. They sound 5x better and don't distort at the low end. Well i'm satisied with my purchse. Just wondring to the guys that say it would decrease sound quality do you have a Bose system with an aftermarket HU?
Old 11-01-2001, 11:57 AM

Which adapter did you use?? 5x better in sound, huh? I could live with that!

DW

The subs are 5x better, but the highs of the Bose speakers are about the same. The subs.......
Old 11-02-2001, 06:51 AM

I got Pioneer Deh-P730 installed like 4 mo. ago and i love it like 10x better then BOSE. You have so much control over how you wanna hear your music but on bose all u can adjust is base and treble. My subs sound so much clear and give out nice deep base and also i have factory BOSE speakers and they definately sould cleaner than it did with BOSE HU. And the guy who i got it installed from, he didnt even use adapter, he just cut up wires and connected straigt to new HU. He has done thousands of installs and i trust him to do this. I think this is the first thing to do if u wanna upgrade your stereo in your ride......get rid of BOSE....they p!ece of ****....
Old 11-04-2001, 08:29 PM

I dont mean to sound like an *** but what the **** are u talking about?
First of all, I dont think soundquality is gooing to be an issue. THe amount of SQ lost will be so unbelievably minimal. I mean , unless he is going to dynamat his whole car, and put in top quality **** all around, it isnt going to be a problem. THings like exhaust, larger rims and lowering all make the inside of the car alot louder, and if he was really an audiophile he wouldnt do that. I mean sure MB quartz is the best hands down, but I seriously doubt that most people are willing to go that length.

Originally posted by SizosDotCom
First...your loosing SQ right of the bat with a Pioneer head unit. You should have probably read some reviews written by people other than Pioneer employees. The range of htz is inferior to most other brands. Head unit wise, Alpine is the way to go. Read any objective Car Audio magazine and you'll see they get the highest ratings as far as sound quality. Then, why not drop in a set of MB Quartz speakers? The sound will be 100% better than BOSE, and you'll be rolling around with some really high-end audio equipment....Just a thought!
Old 11-05-2001, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by JamesAvery
Iput in top quality **** all around, it isnt going to be a problem. THings like exhaust, larger rims and lowering all make the inside of the car alot louder, and if he was really an audiophile he wouldnt do that. I mean sure MB quartz is the best hands down, but I seriously doubt that most people are willing to go that length.

i'm willing to go that length, i'm getting some MBs soon.
Old 11-05-2001, 11:44 AM

Damn well more power to u. Im just a poor college boy who doesnt have $1500 to spend on mids and highs. Oh and I meant to ask dude whart he was talking about with the HZ ratings for pioneers being ****tier than most others. I havent looked at frequency response ratings but last time I checked no human being can recognize sound outside of Pioneer's current range(5-20Khz) and even if you could, the best subs dont even go that low. So unless you;re worried about deafening a small dog in your backseat, I would say that head will be fine for him.

i'm willing to go that length, i'm getting some MBs soon.
Old 11-06-2001, 04:33 AM

If you are setting your goals around SQ and want to slowly get to a crazy system while on a budget, i recomend the mcintosh deck.. the thing is killer for sq, then a good amp for a good set of speakers, brands such as dynaudio, (<white max will deff agree with that) focal, rainbow, illusion.. to name a few.. mb quart is definately a great speaker, but there is always something that is going to be better.. there's not absolute "best" in this world.. as for subwoofer.. i tend to favor sealed enclosures because of they tend to be a lil more precise. the bass tends to be a lil tighter and in my opinion you tend to get better bass response.. when you choose an amp after you've settled on the speakers you want, i recomend that you get something that will slightly over power your speakers/subwoofers, this would minimize the chances of distortion, thus will make your system sound even more cleaner.. I would also recomend you get a good equalizer.. ie. audiocontrol. they make a few different eq's i went with the 30band mono eqt concert series equalizer.. you'll need two of them since it's just a mono eq.. don't worry too much abotu the rear speakers because it's just there for rear fill.. if you're on a budget like i am, you might even want to consider holding off on rear speakers. many competition vehicles don't use rear speakers because the opt for frontal stage.. anyways.. taht's just a few recomendations for me..

but as far as your proposed plan with teh pioneer deck, i say if that's what you like, go for it.. it's an awesome deck, i've installed many decks made by pioneer.. i've never installed the brand new deh p930 because it's so new and no one has brought it over for me to install yet.. but i've installed a few deh p920's ( i think that's the model number) and a few of the models below that one.. they are really great decks. Eclipse is also another brand that i highly recomend, i used to have the 7301 double din headunit, and in my opinion it does sound alot cleaner than my alpine cva 1005, i actually consider the alpine as a downgrade from my eclipse, but i got it mainly because of the compatibility with the alpine navigation unit..
Old 11-06-2001, 01:55 PM

Scenario:
I have a 2K GXE with the upgraded six speaker system. I have a Pioneer 9200 from my previous car and am anticipating putting it in. I want it in cause i wanna run a sub and can control stuff a lot easier. I'm just wondering if the stock speakers will sound louder and tighter with an aftermarket HU, cause they did in my other car which was a ZX2. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 11-06-2001, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Punch84
Scenario:
I have a 2K GXE with the upgraded six speaker system. I have a Pioneer 9200 from my previous car and am anticipating putting it in. I want it in cause i wanna run a sub and can control stuff a lot easier. I'm just wondering if the stock speakers will sound louder and tighter with an aftermarket HU, cause they did in my other car which was a ZX2. Thanks for any suggestions.
if you dont' have the bose system then yeah it should sound better.. but if you have the bose system, make sure you bypass the bose amplifier to avoid amp hiss.. it won't really sound noticably better without tuning imo.. but you definately do get alot more control of what you want to hear out of your system with that deck.